Make a donation

Author Topic: Traffic Cops now - BBC1  (Read 3578 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Traffic Cops now - BBC1
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:45:41 pm »
On now fellas. Sorry for the late call - Can obviously iplayer it anytime after.

... If you just saw or do iplayer it, WTF, an unmarked Silver Mk4 Golf?! Pretty sure this prog is this year (2010) and I've never ever seen a marked Mk4 Golf in the UK, let alone an unmarked one  :confused:  :signLOL:

I can usually spot unmarked/plain police cars from a distance, but I wouldn't have looked twice at a car that old! That must be rare? Maybe Al or Carl can shed some light on that...  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:01:03 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Traffic Cops now - BBC1
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:16:06 am »
Dunno but apparently there's an unmarked black MK5 with tinted windows and "MOTORSPORT" plastered across the back. Goads drivers into racing and then pulls them over.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:40:46 am »
That's got to be bullsh*t surely?!

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:42:12 am »
Taped it, but havent watched it yet, was it an unmarked MK4 or just a MK4 that police use?
We have unmarked Skoda', Volvo's, BMW's, but then CID have loads of crappy cars like Skoda Fabia, Peugeot 206, Vectra, And have a quite nippy 10 plate 1.9 Leon.
Our old Chief Superintendant wasn't a big fan of traffic police, and as such not much was spent on them, If you look at Warwickshire, they have a tiny traffic dept, and that's how they afford the R32s, Imprezas, etc.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:53:38 am »
It was an unmarked reflex MK4 GTI by the looks of it. Had LED Red and Blue lights in the rear number plate area!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:44 am »
Dunno but apparently there's an unmarked black MK5 with tinted windows and "MOTORSPORT" plastered across the back. Goads drivers into racing and then pulls them over.

There is a Grey (Same colour as Hedge's) MK5 R32 on the M6 & M6 Toll that fits that description (tinted windows & Motorsport sticker) that does that sort of thing. Reg is BU08BKO

They were trying it with me until a white TT went past on the wrong side of 100mph. Fairy lights came on then and off they went and pulled it over.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:02 am »
I wouldn't mess with a Steel Grey R32.  :evilgrin:

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 12:12:59 pm »
One of the uniformed traffic officers ( the one where they had to go up the attic to get him) is a guy Chris from the R32 forum.  I think Greeners knows him. He has a white R32.
Being from Merthyr I get to see some of these muppets every day.   Merthyrs not all like that though.

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 12:48:04 pm »
There is a Grey (Same colour as Hedge's) MK5 R32 on the M6 & M6 Toll that fits that description (tinted windows & Motorsport sticker) that does that sort of thing. Reg is BU08BKO
That may well be it. I've only ever heard about it and never seen it.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 01:04:54 pm »

I couldn't believe it at first. It was the lead car in the Pursuit for a bit and I had to look twice as I thought it was the car they were pursuing, until I saw the flashing red/blue LEDs around the number plate area as Nath says! Really really bizarre.

Taped it, but havent watched it yet, was it an unmarked MK4 or just a MK4 that police use?
We have unmarked Skoda', Volvo's, BMW's, but then CID have loads of crappy cars like Skoda Fabia, Peugeot 206, Vectra, And have a quite nippy 10 plate 1.9 Leon.
Our old Chief Superintendant wasn't a big fan of traffic police, and as such not much was spent on them, If you look at Warwickshire, they have a tiny traffic dept, and that's how they afford the R32s, Imprezas, etc.

I see Al. That makes sense.
A Mk4 GTI/GT TDI as an unmarked car must be a cost saving exercise must it not? As I mentioned I'm surprised they are using an unmarked unit of that age, it must be in excess of 6 years old assuming the Mk4's died off on early 04 plates?

They were trying it with me until a white TT went past on the wrong side of 100mph. Fairy lights came on then and off they went and pulled it over.

I think these are the very ones (if not identical anyway) as the video suggests these are Warks' vehicles  :happy2:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:55:28 pm by Greeners »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:12:25 pm »
That may well be it. I've only ever heard about it and never seen it.

I've seen that one a few times too.  Last sighting was in Nuneaton and before that it was on the M42 near the NEC junction.

FOR SALE!

Offline chrisr32

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 04:18:37 pm »
Yeah I was on traffic cops the other night. The unmarked mk4 Golf is a V5, and I used to drive it occasionally. It drives pretty well and really doesn't get noticed. It was good to have the use of a smaller car than the 5 series Beemers in order to catch the criminals.
2009 Candy White R32 5 door DSG

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 07:34:04 pm »
Yeah I was on traffic cops the other night. The unmarked mk4 Golf is a V5, and I used to drive it occasionally. It drives pretty well and really doesn't get noticed. It was good to have the use of a smaller car than the 5 series Beemers in order to catch the criminals.

We used to have a Mk IV Golf VR6 auto unmarked traffic car .... it, like your V5 didn't get noticed .... was a hoot to drive and as quick as most things at the time !   We used to get told it wasn't fair as people were looking for Omega's and the like but got caught by a Golf  :laugh:

Sadly long gone now ... 530d's are the order of the day ....

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:19:19 pm »

You weren't the one they called 'ferret' where you Chris?  :signLOL: