Make a donation

Author Topic: The pope on the news.  (Read 7662 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: The pope on the news.
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:00 am »
I can't help thinking that The Pope's UK visit is just a big PR exercise with the underlying real purpose of gobbling up and digesting more souls. Of course, for the party faithful he can do no wrong in spite of the fact that he's just an elected political head on a Vatican 'state visit' (good excuse to claim expenses from UK taxpayers).

Is he welcome? - Well, the people of this country are very tolerant but the whole affair is pompous imho and slightly desperate in the face of growing secularism. History tends to repeat itself and human hypocrisy is alive and kicking.

Just my opinion  :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ianjmclean

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 09:05:17 am »
Politically speaking, securing a papal visit will have its benefits. It appeases a section of society, it will spark some form of economic reaction, it takes attention away from other more pressing items of news. For these reasons, and probably numerous others, the government will pay for it and the cost be passed on to the taxpayer. It's not right, but its how it is.

The controversy around catholic priests I find harder to digest. This has been going on for years and has almost become a running 'joke'. Yet once the pope has gone, the media will drop the topic and society will revert back to ignoring the situation. The crux of the problem is that those in positions of 'power' are protected by the networks which they move within. How do we break this down?

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 09:18:58 am »
^^^^
Very well put, Ian  :happy2:

As many others have said before and will say again: So-called 'religion' is hugely responsible for terrible human conflict and wars. Unfortunately it's all tightly wrapped up in political power and propaganda - This state is officially this or that religion etc. The era of Henry VIII is the perfect example, also The Crusades are to blame for totally unnecessary conflict with the Muslim world. I must go... I have a music biz funeral to attend (crem).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!