Make a donation

Author Topic: Why is ebay and paypal so much hassle??? Advice needed also  (Read 3627 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Why is ebay and paypal so much hassle??? Advice needed also
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:38:15 pm »
Basicly, sold a phone on ebay, buyer paid by paypal, i send the item but they claim its faulty (which it 100% isnt). I investigate the fault and it is simply a battery that isnt charging properly apparently, so i offer to pay for a replacement which is only £3 so not much to worry about.

Next thing i know the paypal payment has been reversed and i have my first ever negative feedback, and the buyer claiming im a fraud etc..... I now have no psyment and no item  :confused:

Ive tried communicating via paypal and ebay but the buyer is making things so difficult that its not getting anywhere, even worse it wont allow me to leave negative feedback for them. Totally flawed system in my opinion!

Surely someone must have been in a similar situation with a dodgy buyer, so any advice?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Why is ebay and paypal so much hassle??? Advice needed also
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:40:23 pm »
mate ebay is Sh1t, like really sh1t if your a seller.

All it takes is a seller to winge and your screwed! i hate selling ebay for that very reason. It got all like that about 2/3 years ago

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:56:20 pm »
I'm another eBay hater. There's some real arseholes on it who spoil it for the honest guys. eBay itself is just a huge impersonal monster and it's far too difficult to communicate with the people running it.

Whenever I receive an email about updating either my details or about updating their rules etc I find I don't trust it as genuine. I simply don't trust eBay and prefer to pay more for something but know I've got aftersales service or recourse.

Big thumbs down from me! [Sorry my post doesn't advise you]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:00:05 pm »
You have the buyers address  :wink:

Seriously i don't have a problem with eBay but that's because i buy stuff from it and don't sell on it.

Other than taking all relevant proof etc to the police (and im not sure that would get you anywhere) i don't know what else you can do.

Have you asked the buyer to send the item back?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:09:43 pm »
I would have asked for item to be returned to check its not fault before refunding. I sold three (identical) items on egay about five years ago. All three sent via recorded delivery. One guy claims he didn't receive it. When shown that it had been signed for, claimed it wasn't his. Nothing came of it but since then have avoided selling on egay.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:10:46 pm »
Can you raise a dispute via Ebay/Paypal?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »
Can you raise a dispute via Ebay/Paypal?

Ive seen some complete black and white cases where the buyer is in the wrong but ebay always sides with the buyer!

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:12:53 pm »
Ive been had similarly to this, unfortunately its pointless doing anything as its all weighted in the buyers favour! This is why I hate ebay and Paypap! My buyer claimed that his card had been used fraudulently but offered to pay via a cheque  :stupid:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 10:40:24 pm »
I am a power seller on the bay and its not without its pitfals. Your money will be in no mans land currently you have to put your side of events citing everything no matter how small to ebay they evaluate then rule on it. It will take some time. I have had one issue buying from someone, ebay ruled in favour of the seller, lesson learnt hard way, seller then recieved something thru the post that he didn't like :evilgrin:. which in no uncertain terms expressed my feelings.
 Unfortunately there are folks on there who are just related to bottom feeders and who will try to gain free items from you by working ebays rules. The i didn't recieve the item is no1 fav, my courier company now take a picture of your front door when delivery items. as RM are flippin useless if they arent pinching the mail they are damaging it. Good luck :happy2:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 11:32:49 pm »
Well i have now offered a full refund just to end the case, the buyer now wants a full refund plus the cost of return postage before they return the item, i see where this is going.......

Anyone in leicester want to collect the item for me in return for £20 :smiley:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 06:38:34 pm »
Another eBay hater here. Also had the same problem a few years ago so I opened a dispute and won. It used to be good a few years back...now its just sh*t.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 07:24:26 pm »
I'm not a massive eBay user but dabble every now and again.  I sold a racing bike on there last Thursday for £400 and I've not heard a dicky bird from the buyer.  I've sent him a message through eBay and to his e-mail address but no replies so far.  How long do you leave it?  Do I open a dispute or just re-list it and forget about this guy?

h4rdy

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:14 pm »
Quote: as RM are flippin useless if they arent pinching the mail they are damaging it. Good luck

A bit harsh and off topic.

As an employee and user of Royal Mail I have not had many issues.

Just in my experience, its always been poorly packaged items which get damaged and we always apologise if we find it damaged.

The levels of Automation required for demand by the public the inevitable will occasionally happen and I say occasionally because if you saw the mail levels you would understand this.

And saying mail gets stolen if its not damaged is slandering the majority of honest good working people with whom I work with and am one.

I understand everybody will have had issues with Royal Mail probably but you can't/shoudn't tarnish everbody with the same brush.

Over and out.

Offline shortysclimbin

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Torque makes me happy
    • Performance Diesel Engineering
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »
That is why I started using google checkout. .. And I also charge extra for shipping now to include insurance and Signatures for all packages.  (They cant say they didn't get it if they do not sign for it).  Also list all things as AS IS condition. Then you can point ebay to the post and say look they new it was as is... But sadly... doing all that and they still take your items, money or both.  I had one guy here in the US ship me a bolt that was suppose to be a mk2 hood... Turns out he had 6 months in jail after I got 20 others who where scammed together for a court case.  Dishonest people are around everywhere sadly.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 08:27:28 pm »
I knew of a lad that worked for royal mail for a while, the stories he told were scary.

The very same lad used to openly admit that many parcels were opened to see if they were of value they would purposely damage the packaging accross the address and claim they cant find the correct address due to the damage and it went into a holding area before being incinerated.

I didnt believe his stories until he came to my unit with a car boot full of stuff, still in its packaging with addresses on them. He was opening each parcel and then trying to sell the contents to me! He was swiftly sent on his way and i havnt seen him since, i was told that he no longer works for royal mail but the picture he painted was one that it was commonplace for rogue members of staff to open parcels for their own personal gain, he also mentioned that this is a lot more difficult witn 1st calss signed for or special delivery.

I send all items by courier these days.