Make a donation

Author Topic: Fixed Penalty 57 in 50 - advice please ?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Fixed Penalty 57 in 50 - advice please ?
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:32:10 pm »
Hi all, appreciate any advice or comments on a fixed penalty I received today.  It was for travelling at 57 in a 50 at Pencraig on the A40 ( Monmouthshire) and it was definitely me !   Its an area I pass through occasionaly and have seen the camera van in the past but this time , distracted by roudy children, I turned the bend , saw the van and looked at my speedo to see 59-60.  Didn't brake as I was slowing anyway and not another car within 500 yds of me.

I have the option of a speed awareness course as its under west mercia polices' area (and avoid the points) , take the points and fine or present mitigating circumstances (although I think roudy children won't wash here !).

I've looked at the ACPO guidelines and it seems I'm right on the threshold !  Just seems a bit harsh ?  Had I braked immediately may have gone under the threshold ?
Anyone been in a similar predicament  ?   I have a clean licence and haven't been caught speeding since 1995 !

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Fixed Penalty 57 in 50 - advice please ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:34:51 pm »
Take the speed awareness course.

Will save hassle especially as you will otherwise have points and have to inform your insurance, which inevitably means higher premium.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:42:37 pm »

Take the speed awareness course.

Will save hassle especially as you will otherwise have points and have to inform your insurance, which inevitably means higher premium.

^^^^ Wot he said. Avoid the points! You'll soon forget the fine.

But re insurance, it would depend on the insurer - Not all of them are too fussed, especially for a relatively minor infringement.

Always best to stay very focussed and rigidly obey the 20/30/40/50 limits. Keep her under 100 in the UK and drive very sensibly always according to the conditions. Sorry if I sound like your dad.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:46:56 pm »
That's ok Dad !  :happy2:

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:11:12 am »
Yep take the course for sure.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:30:18 am »
Take the course, sounds like you was caught fair and square, oh and as for insurance i thought i got a ticket once (i hadnt in the end) so i did a test on my insurance for one speeding conviction and one without and my insurance was cheaper with the fine LOL !!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:31:57 am by 182_blue »

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:15:17 am »
You have been offered a speed awareness course as you were on the threshold. If you were above it, you would be unlikely to receive the offer, and would have to take the points.
The threshold for this varies a little across various forces. For some, 10%+2, others can use 10%+3. As the ACPO guidelines are just that, guidelines, there's very little you could do to avoid course or points. Rushing a pregnant wife/partner to hospital is not considered mitigating circumstances these days, as an ambulance should have been called.

Do the course, go with an open mind, and be surprised at the cross section of the population you'll see there. The courses aren't designed to be confrontational, and I'd be very surprised if you didn't take something useful away.  :smiley:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline ianjmclean

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:57 am »
What LouCyffer said  :smiley:

A mate of mine took a similar course and not only did it mean avoidance of points, he actually reckoned it made him think a bit more carefully about his driving and driving at a speed to suit his surroundings\conditions.

An aside, when I last had 3 points though, it made very little difference to my insurance premiums. Would even bother with mitigating circumstances - you'll struggle to find any that stand up IMHO!  :wink:

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:54 am »
If you took the points rememebr they will haunt you until 2015 !

Awareness course, a waste of time trying to fight it - and mentioning distracting kids would only go against you.

I dont think its always on the threshold, I spoke to someone recenly how was doing 10mph over and they got the offer.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:56:53 am »
My wife organises driver improvement schemes, which are a West Mids version of the driver awareness (think other forces use them too) Most people who have had collisions come to them to avoid courts, and about 80% come away with far more knowledge and understanding than when they went in the first place, but some just don't want to learn and wheel spin off the carpark at the end of the 2 days.
Would do the course anyday over points/convictions.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:20:13 pm »
My wife organises driver improvement schemes, which are a West Mids version of the driver awareness (think other forces use them too) Most people who have had collisions come to them to avoid courts, and about 80% come away with far more knowledge and understanding than when they went in the first place, but some just don't want to learn and wheel spin off the carpark at the end of the 2 days.
Would do the course anyday over points/convictions.

Agree with everything said here, I was offered the driving improvement course when I killed the ED30, I went into it with an open mind and did genuinely learn alot, alot of things you think you know but don't. Ther're were  lots of techniques to improve observational skills, road positioning etc that I still use today. I actually enjoyed it and think everybody should have to do it as part of learning to drive. The instructer suggested I should take my driving training further which I said I would but haven't as yet.       But there was another elemant of people there that spent the whole course sulking and being awkward because they felt they had been hard done by who probably got nothing out of it.
My advice would be do the course with an open mind and try and take something from it, from what I was told in the northwest at least you will be offered the course if its your only speeding/traffic offence and the speeds involved are to extreme, but it is at the discretion of the officer involved.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:08:14 pm by gazbutS3 »

Offline cheungy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • "GO APR!"
    • SeatCupra.net
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 12:35:52 pm »
The course is the right path to go... :innocent: do it!
MK2 PRE-FL SEAT LEON TFSI SPORT - APR K04

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 03:15:20 pm »

Agree with everything said here, I was offered the driving improvement course when I killed the ED30, I went into it with an open mind and did genuinely learn alot, alot of things you think you know but don't. Ther're were  lots of techniques to improve observational skills, road positioning etc that I still use today. I actually enjoyed it and think everybody should have to do it as part of learning to drive. The instructer suggested I should take my driving training further which I said I would but haven't as yet.       But there was another elemant of people there that spent the whole course sulking and being awkward because they felt they had been hard done by who probably got nothing out of it.

My advice would be do the course with an open mind and try and take something from it, from what I was told in the northwest at least you will be offered the course if its your only speeding/traffic offence and the speeds involved are to extreme, but it is at the dicretion of the officer involved.

....Both my speeding offences were exactly 93 mph in a 70 and so beyond an officer's discretion. But I have anyway privately done a performance car driver's course with a guy who used to train Thames Valley Police and he taught me a huge amount about awareness, positioning, etc etc. I've since been followed long distance by unmarked Police, at high speeds, stopped but let off any ticket - Their only criticism was mph speed over 70 and they noticed my strict adherance to the 30's and 40's.

I'm not claiming to be a perfect driver but, like gaz, such courses are invaluable - Remap your brain as well as your car!

The downside is that now I don't ever listen to any music/radio while I'm driving, but there's a big buzz from being so focussed.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 03:46:10 pm »

The downside is that now I don't ever listen to any music/radio while I'm driving, but there's a big buzz from being so focussed.

Damn exhausting though when you concentrate that hard for such long journeys, I was exhausted doing my course, though that was the only time I was encouraged to boot the Bemer to 120 in a 70mph country lane. Probably never get another chance to do that again.  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 04:24:08 pm »
^^^^
I don't know why but I don't find driving too exhausting with so much focus. Perhaps it's the same as my ability to sometimes only get 4 hours sleep a night and still feel fine the next day. I don't smoke or drink any alcohol and that helps. When younger, training 100 miles on a bicycle on public roads also trained the brain's focussing. I'm always prepared to stop driving if I begin to feel tired but it never seems to happen. I might feel exhausted only when I stop!

So, the term "GLF sign" will probably mean something to you but only when your shoulders are level. :happy2:

Thing is that even if someone takes the awareness course option instead of the points penalty, they need to have a positive interest in driving and learning if it's to benefit them (and other road users as a consequence!). Too many drivers only want to travel from A to B in an armchair on wheels and don't enjoy driving. The commonest thing said by someone involved in a road incident is "I didn't see you".

On topic, I don't feel in the slightest bit bad about being caught speeding on the 60 and 70 limit roads but I would be angry and very disappointed in myself if I did 57 in a 50. Either way, the law is the law.