Make a donation

Author Topic: Fixed Penalty 57 in 50 - advice please ?  (Read 3640 times)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Fixed Penalty 57 in 50 - advice please ?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:32:38 pm »
 :signLOL: GLF indeed Robin. And your last post there sums it up beautifully.

My motorcycle training was Police, and the mantra of '30 in a 30, 40 in a 40, 50 in a 50 and make progress appropriate to views & conditions when you hit the GLF' is still with me today.

The best compliment I was ever paid was arriving one day at Cadwell Park a following rider remarked that "you ride just like a copper". I was chuffed about that  :grin:

Bowie, consider getting a day of advanced tuition with a copper, or a retired one. You'll be amazed what a difference a few techniques can make. These boys on blues & twos aren't superhuman, but the skills are accessable to most drivers. If they want to improve.

Most of all, remember that the skills are perishable. Without regular refreshing, they will degrade. You'll get some good starter tips at the course.  :driver:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 08:09:35 pm »
John Cave aka 'Big John' (and he is a big fella!) was my instructor - Drivetrain.

Web site:  http://www.drivetrain.uk.com/

I did it in my GTI about 4 years ago. Some of what I learnt has become totally natural but I still have to work consciously at some other aspects.

The Police Driver's Handbook has some good tips too imo. It's all about being safe, hence why I often say: "Have Fun but Safe Journeys".

With power comes responsibility and we here should all know that a performance car is potentially much safer if driven responsibly.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 07:28:12 am »
Robin, there's no prices on the link you gave. How much did you pay and for how many days did you do the course. There's another course you recommended previously but I can't remember what it was!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51:44 am »
^^^^
I don't know what the current price is but IIRC it was about £250 four years ago. I did just a one-day course on the roads of Oxfordshire but it was packed and also with plenty of short breaks.

The other one-day course I did was CarLimits on North Weald airfield - 4 of us with Andy Walsh and all about exploring and handling the car's limits - Very heavy on tyres and fuel.

I'd recommend both but especially Drivetrain because it instills and develops a very healthy attitude in your driving every single mile and whatever your vehicle.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 04:01:59 pm »

These boys on blues & twos aren't superhuman, but the skills are accessable to most drivers. If they want to improve.

Most of all, remember that the skills are perishable. Without regular refreshing, they will degrade.

So true !   

h4rdy

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »
Do the course you will learn loads.

Its also quite funny when asked who thought they were a good/very good driver everybody put their hand up!

Billy Big Bollox here didn't as at best I know I am average! Maybe!

That as well is pushing it.

Little tips like 4th gear in a 30/40 so it doesn't feel so slow really work.

I actually enjoyed it.

J