Make a donation

Author Topic: Autoexpress Polish review  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Autoexpress Polish review
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:15:11 pm »
Now I'm not an expert on detailing but has anyone seen this report made by Autoexpress

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/207997/car_polish.html

Personally I can't see how you can compare polishes to sealants and waxes etc. You need to be using a combination of these rather than one alone  :stupid:

:popcornsoda:
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Autoexpress Polish review
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:15:36 pm »
I think this was on detailing world. The average joe bloggs doesn't know the difference between polishes, waxes and sealants. Neither did the author. Joe bloggs will care about one thing: making the car shiny with the minimum effort and expense. Seen those ads for demonshine and that green stuff from jml?

Ignore it. Use your own head. Do some research and find the best products for your own use. I was once guilty of using a bucket, sponge, wash'n'wax shampoo and a chamois. Until I sW VXR marc's detail.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:18:49 pm »
yeh, auto express have had some stick for that review.

THey didnt know any better, neither did most of their readers. They embraced the comments on DW quite well actually and openily admit they could have learnt a bit more.

They post now and again asking for advice, which i think shows they actually want to portray whats right, rather than making a quite write up. Fair does! :)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:47:44 pm »
yeh, auto express have had some stick for that review.

THey didnt know any better, neither did most of their readers. They embraced the comments on DW quite well actually and openily admit they could have learnt a bit more.

They post now and again asking for advice, which i think shows they actually want to portray whats right, rather than making a quite write up. Fair does! :)

Fair play that they've done that, like me they are proabably finding that they can learn a lot from these forums.
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »
So do you use a sealant before or after a wax or instead of one? I'm just in the process of getting together some cleaning bits and pieces after years of the sponge and shampoo/wax so any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »
I use Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection as a sealant just now (untill its empty then im trying something else that was reccomended on DW) and yes , I use it after polish and before waxing , but you can just use it without wax if you wish.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:53:32 pm »
So do you use a sealant before or after a wax or instead of one?

If you read the stickies at the top, they'll give you some useful info.

A sealant seals in the finish. So once you've washed a car, clayed it, polished it and maybe glazed it, you can then seal the finish. Then you can put a layer of wax over the top and replenish this wax one a regular basis.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.