Make a donation

Author Topic: Any (building) planning officers or experts on here?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
Any (building) planning officers or experts on here?
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:41:45 am »
I'm trying to get an extension built at the moment and have just had a set of plans drawn up by the architect. The problem is that the extension would double the size of the house. I've been told that Leeds council want any extension to be 'subservient to' the existing house. i.e. it must LOOK like an extension rather than looking like the house was bigger in the first place.
The artitect has tried to accomodate this requirement, but I'm worried it will still not go through. Anyone else had any experiences or got any advise to share? I've attached a picture of the plans showing new and existing

:drinking:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Any (building) planning officers or experts on here?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:52:35 am »
How has the architect tried to accommodate it? It's not particularly evident from the drawing...

I do understand and agree with what they are saying though. Where I live the requirement is unfortunately the opposite. The result is that builders try to match new brick and roof tiles with those that are 30+ years old. And it never works.

I guess the simplest solution, supposing your original house is exposed brick, would be to apply a crisp white render to the extension. It doesn't look like the sort of house that could sit alongside an ultra-modern extension though, so that could be asking too much.

I'd suggest you talk to the planning authorities - they can be very helpful.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:06:36 pm »
How has the architect tried to accommodate it? It's not particularly evident from the drawing...
A lower roofline on the extension and the upper floor set-back by half a metre creating a small shelf roof half way up the house.

The house is red brick and you really couldn't biuld the extension any other way or it would stand out like a sore thumb and look awful. The architect is running things by planning authorities at the moment, so hopefully it'll all go through without  problems.

I'm just worried because the actual footprint of the extension is actually bigger then the foorprint of teh existing house. There's loads of garden space left though!

Offline wigit

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:58:12 pm »
in my professional opinion the issues are:

1) the set back isn't enough, it needs to be 1 to 1.5m to pull the foof line down more, this gives you issues on the internals but my view the internal door location from the hall is not a great location  as the makes the houe a large u shape so study is remote from kitchen
2) the windows on the front of the extension are too large compared to the original house, this places greater horizontal emphasis, smaller ensuite window and bedroom window would help, maybe two bedroom windows and setting these out so they read beter with the garage
3) can always go 1.5 storey so the roof is lowered and you have dormers, downside is the roof pitch impacts in the room
4) if you look at the floor levels between the garage and the dining room there is a large level difference so struggling to see the point of the door

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:12:59 am »
in my professional opinion the issues are:

1) the set back isn't enough, it needs to be 1 to 1.5m to pull the foof line down more, this gives you issues on the internals but my view the internal door location from the hall is not a great location  as the makes the houe a large u shape so study is remote from kitchen
2) the windows on the front of the extension are too large compared to the original house, this places greater horizontal emphasis, smaller ensuite window and bedroom window would help, maybe two bedroom windows and setting these out so they read beter with the garage
3) can always go 1.5 storey so the roof is lowered and you have dormers, downside is the roof pitch impacts in the room
4) if you look at the floor levels between the garage and the dining room there is a large level difference so struggling to see the point of the door

Thanks for the advice  :happy2:

In response to your points....
1) I hope it doesn't come to dropp[ing the roof line more as it would reduce the internal space as you say. The door from the hall really is the only place it could be into the new extension. The stairs run up the side of teh house and the brand new kitchen is on the other side and I'm not knocking that down!
The study is supposed to be as remote as possible  :wink: Need to get some space between me and the kids when I'm working
2) I'd like the windows as big as possible but I do know what you are saying. I'll see what happens after the 1st submission to detrermine if we need to reduce them
3) Don't want dormers or lower roof. I've got 2m high wardrobes to fit in the new bedroom so need the height!
4) The door into the garage is needed as it's not really a garage, it's actually my workshop and I'll be buggered if I'm going outside everytime I want in to it for some tools!

Cheers for taking the time to leave those points wigit, it's good to know what I might run in to with planning officials  :drinking: