Make a donation

Author Topic: Camera Advice Would Be Appreciated....  (Read 18261 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Camera Advice Would Be Appreciated....
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2010, 11:59:41 am »
maybe? i dont know how the black borders got there but they would be better if they weren't so thick mate ;) would look a bit more subtle and suit the mood of the pic better

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2010, 12:02:50 pm »
I know when in AV mode the camera finds the correct shutter speed for the pic, but its just as easy in full manual as the light meter aligns up when correct, this is helping me remember which one is correct for the corresponding aperture. I have read that i need a decent size zoom lens or macro to get creative focus like your great shot.  :happy2:
I am happy for the moment just trying to learn how to get the full depth of field.  :happy2:

Tthe best way to improve your photography is to learn the limitations of your own kit, so you're doing it right as far as I'm concerned. Rather than buying a decent zoom lenses (because you'll pay a fortune for one that'll go down to a decent aperture) I'd suggest buying a 50mm F1.4 lens. Canon do a good one for £250 - £300.

:happy2:  I have been looking at these, pretty much decided that a nifty fifty is next on the list, followed by a wide angle lens.  :happy2:

You have great skills. That is a tremendous picture.  :noteworthy:

maybe? i dont know how the black borders got there but they would be better if they weren't so thick mate ;) would look a bit more subtle and suit the mood of the pic better

I put on the thinnest ones i could. They only look tiny on my putter.  :chicken:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2010, 12:10:46 pm »
its no biggy mate, and at the end of the day, its only my opinion, and if you like it, fair does  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2010, 12:12:56 pm »
@ TC:

The great thing about taking digital pics is that it doesn't cost like roll film does/did. So you can afford to shoot as much as you like and experiment and consequently learn what results in what. It's like DSG: There's a learning curve but it becomes fluid and natural. The rest is talent involved in recognising the moment to capture in a pic, and you've already mastered that, TC.

The control of depth-of-field focus and my wonderfully compact camera's limitation of such control, is what started this thread.

[This thread has become a hot subject  :happy2:]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:22 pm »
@ TC:

The great thing about taking digital pics is that it doesn't cost like roll film does/did. So you can afford to shoot as much as you like and experiment and consequently learn what results in what. It's like DSG: There's a learning curve but it becomes fluid and natural. The rest is talent involved in recognising the moment to capture in a pic, and you've already mastered that, TC.

The control of depth-of-field focus and my wonderfully compact camera's limitation of such control, is what started this thread.

[This thread has become a hot subject  :happy2:]

for sure, and you get the instant feedback. If its not great, 3 seconds later, you could be reviewing a better shot ;)

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 12:15:10 pm »

I put on the thinnest ones i could. They only look tiny on my putter.  :chicken:

Cheers TC  :happy2:. FWIW, I like black borders myself.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:30 pm »
i like them too....and every detailing pic i do has one, just not a big fat one!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:57 pm »
i like them too....and every detailing pic i do has one, just not a big fat one!

Ah! i get you now.  :happy2:

I would like the option to put on a thinner one, but Bucket is limited. I have been searching for a download for the mac, tried a couple and they were pance. What do you use Jay.  :smiley:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 pm »
i use photoshop mate.

It might seem a bit complicated to get used to at first, but to use the basics of photoshop is a great skill to have mate.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2010, 12:28:26 pm »
i use photoshop mate.

It might seem a bit complicated to get used to at first, but to use the basics of photoshop is a great skill to have mate.

I know i know, but as you know, my brain is the size of a walnut these days and i cant bring myself to learn photography and the complicated processing stuff at the same time.  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2010, 12:33:54 pm »

^ Thin black borders work to define the edge/extent of a pic when the background of pic surround is similar.

Jay's shot is a good example.

Otherwise, I think it best to judge each picture whether it benefits from a border or not and and how thick it is. I don't think it's a good idea to establish a blanket rule of having a border on every pic you take.

I use Adobe InDesign and can alter the weight and colour of any border but that's a fairly major app just for that. InDesign delivers all sorts of customisable border effects but is a graphic design app:

^ By pure coincidence those 2 pics go together quite well - It's JC's "naked" quote which does it!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:52:38 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47:25 pm »
THats a nice pic RR, one you took yourself or one you edited  :grin:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2010, 02:26:58 pm »

THats a nice pic RR, one you took yourself or one you edited  :grin:

....I'm having great difficulty working out which of the two pics you're referring to  :wink: :laugh:

Unfortunately it's not shot in my bathroom and neither did I take the original pic of the babe - I did the image as a whole. However, she does look very like the 21yo singer I'm producing and working with...   And seeing tonight  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:28:29 pm by RedRobin »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2010, 02:36:29 pm »
 :chicken:
 :signLOL: