Make a donation

Author Topic: Auto Wiper Woes!!  (Read 2313 times)

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Auto Wiper Woes!!
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:07:10 pm »
Ladies, Gents,

Just a quick question.

Following a nice weekend bombing around my (Hurdys) ED30, I've noticed the Auto Wipers don't work at all. Essentially with the Wiper arm on the first 'setting' (when pushed up) nothing happens following the first click and whenever I change the sensitivity, the Wipers give one sweep.

When on the second 'setting' the Wipers work fine on their continuous program (or the fastest setting on the third click up)

John disnt use this feature so was none the wiser, but I kinda like something less than the continuous setting. He mentioned that the windscreen was recently replaced, and we're wondering if something simple wasn't connected up properly on the replacement.

Can anyone help?

Cheers
Matt

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Auto Wiper Woes!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:14:26 pm »
Yeah, it was one function that used to annoy the hell out of me. All I can think of is that they must have inadvertantly disconnected it when the screen was replaced. When I went throught to continuous wiping it always did the first sweep, so I never thought anything about it. When I wanted one sweep I just flicked it upwards and got the sweep too. Really sorry about this, I should have really checked it once the new screen went in. :ashamed:
Golf R gone.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:34:49 pm »
it works with the rain sensor in the rear view mirror housing. They could have broke that during windscreen replacement.

However just to make sure...was it raining when u switched on the auto wiper mode?  :signLOL:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:59:35 pm »
There has to be a certain amount of moisture on the windscreen before it autowipes.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 03:21:32 pm »
It's been hammering down all day gents.

No worries John. A dealer would have missed that just the same, and most private sellers wouldn't be interested in helping!!

So if it is the mirror thing, what can I do to fix?

Matt

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 04:10:33 pm »
Change the sensor in it. No idea how much they are tho.

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:40:24 pm »
Could it need cleaning or maybe they bonded it to the windscreen etc?

Hmmm. I'll check it out!!

Matt

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 11:12:55 am »
RLS matt, they (whomever replaced the screen)  have either broke the wiring or fooked the sensor its that simple. sensor is about £120.you should be able to set the stalk to the first position then set the sensitivity to max on the stalk with the button on to turned all the way to the right and basically get a bottle of glass cleaner and spray the sensor in the  centre top of the screen to test.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:46:28 am by flyboy1976 »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 11:46:55 pm »
Two issues.

If the rain sensor is disconnected (or fooked) - it will store a fault code, so VCDS it.

And ALWAYS demand genuine OEM screens are fitted - I regularly hear issues regarding fooked auto wipers, foodked auto lights, and fooked auto dimming rear view mirrors when non genuine screens are fitted.  These are usually 'Guardian' branded screens, made in South Africa by Autogl@ss.  They are also optically very poor too.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~