Make a donation

Author Topic: Cracked Wheel.......  (Read 3679 times)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Cracked Wheel.......
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:14:13 pm »
I haven't had a good weekend at all this weekend. Yesterday morning, I was parking in a local village and just touched the kerb with the wheel, not a nice feeling at all! It's the 1st time i've ever kerbed a wheel, i'm usually super careful with things like that. :sad1:

Then in the afternoon I went to get 2 new tyres on the front as they were getting pretty low. Tyre fitters jacked the car up, removed the wheels then came to inform me that a one of my wheels was cracked. It had a hairline crack through the inner part of the rim. The wheels are genuine BBS CO's which I bought in October last year. It has more than definatly been caused by the huge potholes in the roads around where I live (out in the sticks).

Where do I stand with this?! I can get it alloy welded for around £30 or do I just get a full new wheel?! Do BBS wheels come with a warrenty?! I will be most definatly taking pictures of the potholes, measuring them and complaining to the council. My only worry is that 2 years ago, they concreted in 3 signs saying 'Temporary Road Surface' therefore I don't think i'll have any luck with them.

Oh and to top the day off, I was meant to be racing my autograss car today but when I went to load it up last night, it wouldn't run properly! I never thought i'd say this but roll on Monday morning :sad1:

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Cracked Wheel.......
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:27:53 pm »
Be interesting to know how safe/different welded wheels are.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 06:31:27 pm »
Welding would not be an option i would take, its probably fine to do it but lets face it your life relies on the alloys and tyres, i would just buy a new one

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:36:00 pm »
+1. The risk IMO isn't worth taking.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:23:37 pm »
A decent welder could weld repair a wheel.  success depends on a few things, finding out what composition the alloy is (correct filler rods), very very good prep, and correct heat applied.

Definitely not for the amateur welder.

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:09:17 pm »
WHEEL WORKS CRAWLEY    have been doing them for years and in the snow bad weather last winter were doing 60 wheels a week. I watched them straighten a badly buckled wheel 2 weeks ago . clever guys

I am sure  they wouldnt even attempt a repair if they thought it was iffy .

send your wheel down what have you to loose

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 11:04:01 pm »
I had a customer in last year with a cracked and flat spotted alloy of a amg merc...i sent him to Romax alloy wheel repairer..Few weeks later he turned up what i thought was a new alloy but it turned out he had got it repaired,of which was a excellent repair and it balanced up perfect

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47:22 pm »
Go to the pothole...take pictures from every angle, stick a ruler in the hole for reference, compose a letter to your local authority and send it together with pics and a quote from the repairers...

They have a duty of care to ensure that a decent road surface is maintained, they will probably pass your claim without argument....

It HAS to be worth a go.

Offline kirkland

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:08:08 pm »
Go to the pothole...take pictures from every angle, stick a ruler in the hole for reference, compose a letter to your local authority and send it together with pics and a quote from the repairers...

They have a duty of care to ensure that a decent road surface is maintained, they will probably pass your claim without argument....

It HAS to be worth a go.

Dream on... :smiley:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 04:37:39 pm »
You do realise you're talking about the same people who, when faced with lots of pothole claims, instead of repairing the potholes, went and changed the definition of a pothole so as to redce the amount of claims!!!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone :happy2:

I doubt i'd get anywhere with the council to be honest, we have sent off pictures of tape measures in potholes numerous time which lead to the permanent 'Temporary Road Surface' signs concreted into the ground :laugh:

I'm going to order a new wheel and get the cracked one welded up and just use it as a spare, at least it will save a bit of hassle if I get a puncture on the front as my normal size spare won't clear the S3 front brake setup. I'll try the council again but I ain't holding my breath!

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:19:25 pm »

It HAS to be worth a go.

No chance , they changed the rules in recent years it says something like if they have proof they inspect the highway they have done there bit under duty of care.
My neighbour broke a spring and wheel on her BMW Z4 and has spent a fortune on advice and wasted time .

Good luck but i think you will just end up frustrated .

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:31:55 pm »
Well apparently they don't make my wheels anymore and there is no stock in the UK or Germany.

Repair it is I think :happy2:

Matt