Make a donation

Author Topic: Test drove a focus RS today !  (Read 5649 times)

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
Test drove a focus RS today !
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:07:05 pm »
I was driving past my local subaru garage today and there was a nice big green RS staring at me ! so i went in for a look, and started talking to a salesman about it.
Im not a fan of anything that isnt german TBH and the only car ive owned that wasnt german lasted 3 months, so to find myself wanting one of these came as a bit of a shock !

The Good Points.

Looks wise the RS is with out a doubt the most aggresive Hot Hatch ever made, totally stunning ! and it has a very big boot for the mountain bike :smiley: The panels feel reasuringly sturdy Germanesque, and the interior is a nice and bright with a lot more technology than my golf. The engine note is great and and there is a few nice pops and bangs and induction noises on lift off. The RS is quick, it just doesnt feel as quick as the golf at any part of the rev range, which i was quite surprised about. When you get this car on to a twisty stretch of tarmack though, attacking the corners, and powering out with that thumping 5 cylinder, just feels so exciting, special and very addictive and if im honest probably one of the most special cars ive ever driven :surprised:

The Bad Points

The exterior paint finish is pretty crap, the gloss black parts mark really easily, the normal body paintwork chips very easily and there was a little paint bubble under the rear arch that i burst with my finger as i was inspecing it, which is now going no need painting before the winter and rust moves in, the rear spoiler wobbles about like its not fixed correctly and the general build quality is not a patch on the golf, some of the materials used seem a little bit flimsy too and im not sure how well it will hold out on the winter roads as fords are pretty rubbish when it comes to under body rust.

Despite all of this i still really love it and was offered 10K for my golf so Im seriously thinking about it
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:11:35 pm by gobbleplease »
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Test drove a focus RS today !
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:13:48 pm »
personally dont agree with the aggressive look, when i see one i automatically think of halfrauds!

i did how ever overtake a RS 500 the other day and it improves the look 1000x when there is no stupid colours going on.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:16:17 pm »
The VAg paintwork is shocking for stone chips from personal experience and having seen alot of other VAGs litterally peppered with chips.

Performance wise i completely agree with you as will vRSCarl.  we have both tried our vRS's against them when running stage 2+ and there was very little in it, obviously, they are highly tunable cars just like the K04 TFSI so you could easily get over that with some choice mods.  .

however dynamically after driving one i agree, it did feel special. and thats in standard guise. with suspension mods these would be truly awesome id imagine.

Nice to read an honest subjective review about the RS for a change.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:04 pm »
^^^^^^  I love the looks, and the ultimate green paint TBH, Then again i do ware a shellsuit on my days off  :grin:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:53 pm »
the RS only looks good in certain colours.  Dark Blue is the most classy and IMO stealth looking.  White looks really agressive, and that green looks horrendous.

blue for me everytime.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:25:30 pm »
The VAg paintwork is shocking for stone chips from personal experience and having seen alot of other VAGs litterally peppered with chips.

Performance wise i completely agree with you as will vRSCarl.  we have both tried our vRS's against them when running stage 2+ and there was very little in it, obviously, they are highly tunable cars just like the K04 TFSI so you could easily get over that with some choice mods.  .

however dynamically after driving one i agree, it did feel special. and thats in standard guise. with suspension mods these would be truly awesome id imagine.

Nice to read an honest subjective review about the RS for a change.

Wheather i buy this one or get one next year, an RS will defintootly be my next car ! I think alot of this chipping on the paintwork at the moment is due to the new waterbased paints that are getting used, a few RS owners have took there cars back to ford and i know a lot of BMW owners have been complaining too, me personally have only got 3 stone chips on my 40k golf and the paint looks good so i cant complain, saying that when i was looking last year for a GTI i did see some dogs with peppered front ends.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:28:03 pm by gobbleplease »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:26:27 am »
I personally would not be buying one that has a popped paint bubble  :confused:, especially if they repainted it too as matching this sort of paint is very very hard for them, there's plenty of RS's about , buy a good one  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:54:32 am »
my vRS was littered with chips on the front

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:07:56 am »
Green or white for me. I grew up in a rough area, so i have a soft spot for Ford's.  :driver:

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 0
  • Surrey
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 08:25:25 am »
Love the Focus RS.  Favourite colour woud be white but i guess blue is the sensible choice.

I would love to buy one but that would mean parting with my lovely ED30.  As much as i personally love the syling and the engine in the RS, i still always end up ticking more boxes for the ED30 compared with the RS.  If they did an equivalent DSG gearbox in the Focus RS....hmmm....may be swayed then.  Plus after owning nothing but 3 door cars and now finally a 5 door, the wife would kill me if i went back!!  :sad1:

Great car though....

VW Edition 30 DSG, 5 door, RNS-510

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:44 am »
They are very popular over my way, there's two whites a rally rep that looks modded and a green as well. Truckie took me round knockhill in one was fast and with mods would be good. Interior was questionable I thought. I fancy my ed30 against one. Big rs club in Scotland as well they hired knockhill for the day.

Offline Tara

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • If it doesnt break...your not going hard enough!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 03:22:21 pm »
Not keen on these, watch out for the green ones as they were recalled as the bumpers didnt match the colour of the car! Very noticeable and looked awful!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 01:18:06 pm »
There are forum posts galore concerning paint flaws in the Ultimate Green painted ones. I know someone who has one and his dealer knocked thousands off the purchase price rather than try and correct a mark on the door, as it would've meant the whole car needing a respray. He just got a new set of front tyres out of them, too, as the originals wore out unevenly!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 01:50:09 pm »
I had a serious soft spot for the Mountuned RS at the RR day on Sat.. Absolutely stunning IMO.. Even if it didn't have the software on it  :confused: (that is being sorted apparently)

:drool:
Just a few other issues for me that would stop me from owning one..  :sad1:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »
blue one to sanitise the looks a bit  :happy2: which apparently is the colour no one wants at the moment so its cheaper  :party:
otherwise i like it  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD