Make a donation

Author Topic: Apr Stage 4 Build  (Read 19199 times)

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Apr Stage 4 Build
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:25:43 pm »
As the title says, I am going to start a small thread on my APR stage 4 / motorsport build.

I am located in Israel and my car is a 2009 Seat Leon cupra.

Here is the car:

The car was purchased new in Dec 2009 and when it had 300 miles on the clock was tuned to APR stage 1 and 1000 miles later to Stage 2+.
Although that supplied plenty of power, I had a burning need to get more.

I have read every thread on every forum regarding BT build and talked to plenty of suppliers and BT owners in order to get to a decision.

I use this car as a DD as well as track it, so my main consideration was power delivery over just pure numbers.

to make a long story short , I have decided to go with the Apr stage 3 route , but after many talks with the amazing guys at APR  and their great distributer as well as a visit in APR HQ in Alabama I have changed my mind and we are now going on an all out stage 4 build.

My engine was taken out of the car and shipped to APR where it is now being completed and in the next few days will be shipped back to me.

My car is starting the prep work next week (many many items) and during October APR engineers and head Tech are flying over to Israel to get the engine installed.

In this thread I will follow the engine build, car prep and final result and will discuss for the first time exactly what a stage 4 is made of.
Hope it will make an interesting read, more updates soon.

Side note: Israeli readers please do not Link or Re-post this to any forums in Israel or your facebook pages.  

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Apr Stage 4 Build
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »
i was wondering how your built progressed  :happy2:
I hope to visit APR for their BBQ next year, would like to get a stage4 back home   :evilgrin:

i'll be watching this  :popcornsoda:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:55:56 pm »
AWESOME! Look forward to seeing the progress  :laugh:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:35 pm »
Subscribed  :smiley:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:20:17 pm »
Subscribed :popcornsoda:

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:21:08 pm »
Ok, before I start into the stage 4 build, just a short update of what's already on the car
Obviously I had the entire stg 2+ hardware, but the only thing that is going to stay is the APR HPFP
As for suspension, the car currently has a KW clubsport kit which is going to stay of-course.

At the current setup it is too stiff for our roads and in order to get the Damping/Rebound right new springs are currently on their way from KW in Germany.

As for anti roll Bars, I have both a set of APR as well as KW. Both of which are very different in strength and approach (KW is thicker up front compared to rear). I am not certain which I will use in the end, but I am leaning towards the APR set. I will make a final decision when the car is all set up

Some Pics:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:24:36 pm »
You will need some hefty brakes aswell when all this is setup mate   :driver:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline ady-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:14 pm »
This looks promising, not that I've got the balls to ship my engine to America and back but fair play to you..

keep the updates comming..  :happy2:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:41:19 pm »
Woosh your certainly going for it mate, Good Luck fella :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 12:16:02 am »
now thats customer service

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 12:30:07 pm »
You will need some hefty brakes aswell when all this is setup mate   :driver:

everything is just waiting to be installed,  including brakes and a ton of other things.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »
Subscribed, looking forward to seeing this build thread unfold. When are you expecting the majority of work to be completed by?

Offline poko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:07:10 pm »
As far as all questions, I will post as things happen, there are tons of parts involved and I will post all as they go on the car.

As for time table, you should see this build end Late OCT.

So let's start with the engine components.

Basically, the stage 4 kit is a hybrid of the Stage 3 BT kit and a completely built engine.
it is not a "KIT" and it is done on a case to case basis and it is not identical between builds.

The basis for the engine mods are APR motorsport engines and their experience with different changes at the track, modified to accommodate the larger turbo in this kit.

AFAIK I am only the third client that APR is building the stage 4 for and I have also requested some changes from previous builds.

So let's go over the main component, I'm doing this from my knowledge and might miss some points, I am sure APR will be glad to clarify if I did.

•   Basic Stage 3 Kit -

the base for this entire build is the standard stage 3 kit . in terms of turbo and surrounding accessories there is no change at all , the difference lies in the built engine and custom software

•   Ported and blueprinted head -

both the head and the block are being X-rayed and scanned for any defects.
the head then is blueprinted and go through a 5 way porting process according to CAD files that are based on the motorsport engines.

I don't have exact flow numbers and not sure if APR are willing to share but there is a massive increase in flow through both intake and exhaust ports.

pics will be available later on.

•   Ferrera Valve Train -

This is new and has not been done to in previous builds and is being done according to my request , just for the extra strength .

this is a complete kit and should hold much higher revs than the stock valves. Although our engines are limited by other factors such as the HPFP.

•   Schrick Camshafts -

Those camshafts were discussed a lot in the forums but rarely used since there is no software on the market apart from APR stage 4 that makes use of the higher lift and duration.

those are a pain to get hold of since they were of limited production and didn't sell well and so not massively produced.

•   Dynamically balanced Crank -

The crank is being dynamically balanced (while rolling at high RPM) with the entire moving mass of the engine.

This also includes the clutch Flywheel which is also being modded to fit the rest of the engine's moving mass.

•   EGR Delete -

The EGR is one of the largest points of flow interruption and failure in highly tuned FSI's and therefore it is being completely shaven off of the car and the software is being adapted to run without the EGR.

•   Rods and Pistons -

the block is being bored slightly to 83mm and a set of JE pistons with IE rods is being installed.

Compression ratio is dropped only slightly (compared to my stock 9.8:1) to 9.5:1

Those are the main things happening in the engine build. There are of-course tons of other misc items around those main parts.

current status is that the engine is already built and I am waiting for some pics to post from Arin@APR (btw : thanks for the amazing pics so far) , which will probably happen once H2O is finished.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 09:14:16 pm »
As i have said a few times before. You are definitely mad.  :laugh:

I am sure this is going to have lots of power, but surly this car is going to be a bitch to drive.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 09:26:56 pm »
This looks completely bonkers.  :rolleye:

Good effort.  :happy2: