Make a donation

Author Topic: Totally dead tailgate  (Read 2537 times)

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
Totally dead tailgate
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:35:35 pm »
Hi everyone i'm new to this forum.

Just wondering if anyone else on here has had the problem that started with my GTI today?

I closed the boot when I started the car it said that the reverse light and rear fog light bulbs were defective. When I got home I went to check the bulbs only to find the boot won't open despite pressing the keyfob button and the door opening button. Also tonight I discover the rear wiper isn't working either.

I managed to open the boot with the release thing inside. When I opened it I could hear a faint ticking sound and the boot convenience light flickered a few times before going out!

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Totally dead tailgate
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:37:34 pm »
Sounds like the earth connection in the boot is broken, I can't remember where it is on the Mk5 but think it's behind the trim on the right hand side  :happy2:

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply SteveP. I think its the wiring in the loom at the top left of the tailgate. I've found someone with the same problem on a  VW forum apparently it breaks if you use the boot to much  :surprised:!

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1630487&postcount=1

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:56:11 pm »
Our old mk4 did this as well. Never did find the cause of the problem. Ended up selling the car and forgot all about it  :ashamed: