Make a donation

Author Topic: Hybrid turbo for tdi  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Hybrid turbo for tdi
« on: September 24, 2010, 01:50:39 am »
thinking of going down this route next year when funds allowmfor my gttdi ,rang around a few places ie jbs who want £1100 for thiers but i got put onto http://www.turbopacs.com/
The bloke who i was talking to said they can do it for £600 and they haven't had one back faulty and it will be pushing out about 230bhp..

any body heard or dealt with them or got any where better to try...also might have another route to follow but i will post that up nearer the time
cheers Andy

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Hybrid turbo for tdi
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:31:30 am »
devonmikeyboy on seatcupra.net is the one who could give you the best advice on tuning a PD140.
His Audi A3 has been through so many states of tune it's unreal.
I don't think he's a big fan of JBS though!

Here's a link to his car, but it's running a different engine now: http://www.allardmotorcompany.com/filestore/list/documents/Allard-A3-TDI-quattro.pdf
He let me drive his A3 once. It's f'ing quick. Top guy and won't bullsh*t you.

I think Mike visits some other VAG forums under the same user name and is also found on the R32 forum with a different user name as he's recently bought an R32 which he's busy getting 500bhp out of........ :drool:
Andy
7R

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:20:54 am »
We finished a stage 3 build on one of these last week, made 261bhp and 392 ft/lb, so the power is there with the right components and mapping.

However, there is a reason that a £1100 turbo is better than a £600 turbo. I went through 3 cheap hybrid turbos on my last  high power PD engine, they all popped at around 2 bar of boost ( around 240bhp)

The turbo dynamics turbos we have mapped to over 2.3 bar of boost and have had no issues at all with reliability.

If you want a cheap hybrid, i know where they are made for the company you mentioned, you can get them on exchange for around £350 but dont expect to push much more than 1.8 bar or 210bhp safetly, remember that a turbo can destroy your entire engine if it fails, especially when at high boost. 

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:25:35 am »
A guy i know that spent 50 years building motorsport engines including working with lotus and mclaren once told me this:

The sweet taste of getting a cheap engine component is quickly washed away by the bitterness of sitting at the side of the road with your engine in bits. 

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:42:26 pm »
thanks for the advise on the phone Dave :happy2:...the miltek am after is the large bore non cat front pipe with the edition 30 tail pipes,

pm me a fitted price..