Make a donation

Poll

As I'm hoping to make the switch, how many times has yours been repaired?

Never
Once
Twice
All the time

Author Topic: How reliable is your DSG?  (Read 15913 times)

Saint Steve

Re: How reliable is your DSG?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 06:17:10 pm »
51k miles, on my same Mech's unit.

Never ever a single hiccup.

Seems its the later 57/ 08/ 58 model year cars onwards have had more issues then the earlier pre  56/07 models, going by forum users cars that have gone wrong.

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 08:38:21 pm »
would really struggle to go back to manual unless i was buying a specific track day car like a lotus/caterham
Mk5 GTI DSG, Stage 2 Bluefin, Revo DSG Remap, Miltek Stainless Turbo back with Race cat, Forge Twintercooler, Carbonio Intake, Upgraded Disks and Green Stuff Pads, Konzept Open Fogs, Upgraded OEM Divertor, Leather, SatNav.

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 09:47:11 pm »
I have had the gearbox ecu replaced and it doesn't like reversing up slopes very much so I try and avoid this and sometimes its a bit jerky pulling away when cold but otherwise I have been very happy with how it operates.

It's a godsend in traffic but great fun when going down your favourite road, you must have the paddles on steering wheel. I love the sound you get from the exhaust on up and down changes especially with the Milltek non-res TBE fitted.

I am a bit wary of the reliability however especially when my warranty runs out next year.

Overal I think it's great and would go for it again.
Thats exactly what mine was doing up slopes it was awful, I think id get yours checked asap like kangarooing in reverse , mine is having a new mechatronics unit fitted now under warrenty

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 10:11:55 pm »
Very happy wit mine, it's an early 05 Gti, although it sometimes a bit jerky kickin into reverse but goin forward I love it!!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 10:57:20 pm »
It looks alarming when there appears to be lots of these units failing. But the question you need to ask, to put your mind at ease is. How many people have had these break outside of the warranty period. I bet it's a tiny fraction. Even then i would bet the fault was there on the car but the owner didn't notice or couldn't be arced to get it fixed. In my opinion, if you buy a car with a warranty then you should be fine.  :happy2:

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 01:14:36 am »
Would not go back to manual now after owning DSG...

Reverse is fine you just need to remember to give it a second once you change into reverse, for it to ' catch up ' with itself before pressing the acceleration pedal.

Also first thing / when cold it can be a bit lazy to change from 1st to 2nd but other than that fine!

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 11:47:28 am »
I have the problem with the 1st into 2nd on a cold morning... but i think everyone has that... i personally don't see that as a 'problem' but merely the gearbox oil waiting to warm up to change gear safely
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 04:56:52 pm »
Thanks for all your input guys it really is appreciated. I didnt realise there had been a change on the cars post Pirelli that is good to know, hopefully my future Pirelli will be as good and reliable as I had hoped. :happy2:
Now I just need to find the perfect one!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 05:31:49 pm »
My 05-plate 06-build Mk5 GTI had its Mechatronics unit replaced under warranty at about 6k miles. It's now done 88k miles and the last year (I was a tester) with a Revo DSG remap and without missing a beat whatever I throw at it.

I now simply wouldn't even consider owning any other car which didn't have DSG or a good equivalent. I enjoy using all modes but drive mostly in M using the paddles.

I think that the key to liking DSG is your attitude: You have to decide you're going to accept it and enjoy it and it gradually comes. If you start off thinking it's either like Playstation or that 'real men' (whatever they are!) only use a conventional manual, then you'll never warm to it (and you'll also miss out big time).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 05:56:08 pm »

I think that the key to liking DSG is your attitude: You have to decide you're going to accept it and enjoy it and it gradually comes. If you start off thinking it's either like Playstation or that 'real men' (whatever they are!) only use a conventional manual, then you'll never warm to it (and you'll also miss out big time).

:congrats:Bang on Robin. Best advice I've heard about DSG. Took me a while to warm to it, but I've had no issues at all.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 06:06:19 pm »
On the question of DSG reliability, I think that many folks think that if it goes wrong it will be uber expensive and so are put off.

But, as TC pointed out, if any go wrong it tends to be while under warranty. If outside warranty, the situation has improved from the early days in that prices and DSG technical know-how have got better. I reckon that DSG clutches will last longer than conventional manual due to their self-protective features.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 06:11:02 pm »
I have had the gearbox ecu replaced and it doesn't like reversing up slopes very much

Have exactly the same issue at times mate. It seems as though it misses it the first time and has to start again. Wouldn't put me off getting it in my next car though, as on the whole it's been mint. Oh and it has been running 360+ torques through it from 1100 miles to the 65k it's now on.  :wink:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 06:20:50 pm »
On the question of DSG reliability, I think that many folks think that if it goes wrong it will be uber expensive and so are put off.

But, as TC pointed out, if any go wrong it tends to be while under warranty. If outside warranty, the situation has improved from the early days in that prices and DSG technical know-how have got better. I reckon that DSG clutches will last longer than conventional manual due to their self-protective features.

I don't think it is the clutches that go wrong.  The Mechatronics unit is the culprit, ans correct me if I am wrong, no one has developed a repair loop for these yet?

Will people spend a couple of K+ to repair a 100k miles 6 year old car? Not talking GTI's but cars on general.  I hope it doesn't happen, but if someone does not sort out a repair loop, I fear you will start to see a glut of tired DSG cars in the yards.  VW will not spend out on a car that is 3, 4. 5. etc years out of warranty (why should they?  I have mixed views here), and definitely not if not serviced by them.

I hope that people apart from VW etc, start to fix Mechatronics units!  Probably only a small value part that corrupts the whole unit.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »

I don't think it is the clutches that go wrong.  The Mechatronics unit is the culprit, ans correct me if I am wrong, no one has developed a repair loop for these yet?

Will people spend a couple of K+ to repair a 100k miles 6 year old car? Not talking GTI's but cars on general.  I hope it doesn't happen, but if someone does not sort out a repair loop, I fear you will start to see a glut of tired DSG cars in the yards.  VW will not spend out on a car that is 3, 4. 5. etc years out of warranty (why should they?  I have mixed views here), and definitely not if not serviced by them.

I hope that people apart from VW etc, start to fix Mechatronics units!  Probably only a small value part that corrupts the whole unit.

Its a shame VW UK are not giving 10 year warranties on the DSG box like VW usa are !!!, it seems the compensation culture sometimes does have its advantages

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 06:44:05 pm »
I'm really quite interested in the 10 year thing in the US and would love for someone here to take it up and prove a case whereby if VWOA thought it necessary to provide 10 years then why shouldn't VWUK.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available