Make a donation

Author Topic: remap insurance  (Read 9284 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: remap insurance
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 07:41:38 pm »
Nope it's something they can find if they look for it. Even REVO (who say it's impossible but it's not)

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »
How would an insurance company know if it had been mapped, i thought it was ni on impossible to tell.

Taken from a tuners website

Remapping does not involve a physical re-chip as with older vehicles and it will not be apparent on first-glance that your car is remapped. Infact, unless there appears to be a problem when a diagnostic scan is run, or on the first test drive, we don't even need to open the bonnet. However, there are many tuning companies online who state that their remaps are "undetectable" and this simply isn't true. While it may not be physically apparent it is relatively easy to find out by comparing the contents of the ECU with a standard one, by verifying the checksum (a value calculated against the contents of the ECU), and by taking the vehicle for a test drive and taking some logs of the data provided by the ECU. Remapping is NOT undetectable, and don't let anyone tell you different.

h4rdy

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 07:45:40 pm »
I was told by Greenlight to wait a year as my previous history, Prodrive Impreza, G60 mk2 Golf, Seat Ibiza Cupra, didn't count towards my previous performance history as I had had the Impreza over 2 years ago!

The others had less than 200bhp!

It would have been cheaper to insure an Impreza STI Spec D PPP!

I know this as I had quotes.

That was my other shortlisted before the ED30, the wife put her foot down.

So mine is standard at the moment and hardly driven as the wife uses it the most.

I seriously would tell them as if you have an accident and kill somebody you could lose your house go to prison and be paying for the rest of your life!

Please think about it before taking that poor advice.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 07:47:01 pm »
Is that shark performance by any chance.  ben is very honest like that

my insurance increased by £140 from bog standard vRS to fully modded stage 2+ with chassis mods. 

Offline Fletch..gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 07:51:49 pm »
if i do get a remap i will tell the insurance thats for sure . still think 500 is way to much for a 42 year old , garaged , 5k a year . plesure only car  :surprised:

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 07:59:23 pm »
if i do get a remap i will tell the insurance thats for sure . still think 500 is way to much for a 42 year old , garaged , 5k a year . plesure only car  :surprised:

Depends where you live ... Mine was effectively that with full protected NCB, no points, etc .... and I am 45 .... but live in SW London :(

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 08:00:33 pm »
shop around im sure me edition 30 was only about £380 with remap

Offline Fletch..gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 08:23:43 pm »
will do blue 182 . live in giltbrook ..hardly the bronks

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 12:01:15 pm »
i got fully comp protected £275 for re-mapped mk5 gti with saga im 58yrs old the rac wanted roughly the same via go compare

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 01:03:35 pm »
I can't even get a sensible quote for my BMW .... a mere 320d auto and no one seems to want to insure it for anything sensible if I decide to remap it - standard no problem but not remapped  !    Remapped 300bhp Edition 30 was no problem but it seems a 320d is far more of a risk  :confused: :confused: :confused:

Greenlight didn't like it as it's rwd .... and many others seem to be getting wary of remaps again !  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:05:58 pm by SO8 »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 11:27:55 am »
Greenlight are cool about remaps and mods. They started off as a bunch of enthusiasts and understand our needs. Furthermore they insure like-for-like.

How cheap or expensive they are depends entirely on your individual risk profile and is influenced by such considerations as location, age, history, risk on your particular car model, etc etc.

Anyone who doesn't declare mods to their insurer is a total fool and deserves the ruin they may get. Anyone who recommends such action on a forum, needs banning!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 12:55:27 pm »
Just to put another spanner in the "tell the insurance regarding remaps" debate.

How would it work if someone remaps their car with bluefin every now and then,  say for a track day.

If they had removed it for the drive home and had a crash could this cause them a potential insurance problem?

If it might this would cause anyone buying a second hand car with problems,  if you get my drift......
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:01:05 pm by cossy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »
Just to put another spanner in the "tell the insurance regarding remaps" debate.

How would it work if someone remaps their car with bluefin every now and then,  say for a track day.

If they had removed it for the drive home and had a crash could this cause them a potential insurance problem?

If it might this would cause anyone buying a second hand car with problems,  if you get my drift......

....My understanding from insurance companies is that you should declare the existence of the remap on your insured vehicle and when/where you decide to use it is of no consequence.

I don't know what happens if you buy a second-hand car and if after an incident and investigation it is found to be remapped but you genuinely didn't know about it. However, it's difficult to understand why you wouldn't know if you had driven a standard version and I think it might be deemed to be your responsibility to know. Otherwise, a new owner could easily pretend they didn't know - Good luck trying that one!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 02:28:40 pm »
Dont think you are getting me.

If I sold a car which I remapped but removed the map when traded the car in would the next owner have a problem if involved in an accident as there was some sort of evidence left on the ECU?

If this is the case it could effect anyone who buys a second hand car was my point.

Good luck with this one!

:P

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 02:47:35 pm »
@ cossy:

I've just re-read your Reply #26 several times and it doesn't state what you are alluding to in your Reply #28.

To try to answer what you were meaning to say: Wouldn't an ECU investigation also show that the remap no longer existed? (I don't know for certain). I guess that if the investigation was thorough enough it could all be tested anyway. I know someone (who will remain nameless) who occasionally gets asked to rolling-road cases.