Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone from/been to York?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Anyone from/been to York?
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:33:01 pm »
Got a weekend in York booked for next month with the SWMBO and wanted to pick some of your brains guys. Now i've been before on a few occasions (York Races etc) but never really done any sight seeing as such and the Mrs is very keen on doing this.
So what's worth doing (in the 2 days were there)? I've got £80 (or £320) worth of Tesco clubcard vouchers that need spending too and see that the Yorvic Centre and the York Dungeons are on there, so may get some tickets for both. Are they worth while?
Will also visit the Castle, but was just wandering what else there might be that's worth a look. Any suggestions chaps?  :smiley:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Re: Anyone from/been to York?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:39:33 pm »
Just the town itself is worth looking at and thats free unless your getting dragged into all the little shops.

Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:42:35 pm »
Just the town itself is worth looking at and thats free unless your getting dragged into all the little shops.

Think that'll be a formality mate..   :confused:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:43:07 pm »
have a look in the railway museum and the viking centre

http://www.visityork.org/inspire/must-see-york/default.aspx

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 11:37:59 pm »
Their normal museum is worth visiting too. The Shambles and York Minster are pre-requisites. If you can get on one of the Ghost walks in the evening then that is worth doing too.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1341&bih=692&q=york+ghost+walk+times&aq=2&aqi=g4g-m3&aql=&oq=York+ghost+walk&gs_rfai=&fp=fab4f95b544d6e6f

Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 11:40:16 pm »
Oh, and me and SWMBO are up there just before Xmas for a few days in the Marriot Hotel, for some Christmas spirit and to let her hammer the credit card :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 10:14:21 am »
............some good pubs as well.I was there on the drink on thursday. :wink:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:30:38 am »
I'd recommend the York Museum & Gardens. The art gallery is good (&free) if that's your thing. Jorvik is looking a bit dog eared now, and is expensive for what it is. There's usually a good queue for it too.

It's also definately worth a walk around the walls. Yuo get some good views of the city. There are plenty of coffee shops of the Starbucks/Nero/Costa type, but lots of little indepemdent ones which are on the whole far nicer. Avoid Betty's unless you like taking out a second mortgage for tea and a cake (and 15minutes queueing outside while elderly folk chew their scones and watch you from within without pity.)

The Railway museum is outstanding, even if you have no interest in 'spotting' http://www.nrm.org.uk/ . If the weather's good, you can cycle the solar system http://www.solar.york.ac.uk/ which seems to be getting very good reviews.

The evening/night life is good, with a wide variety of pleasant ale houses and nightclubs, and an abundance of good resaurants. I'd personally recommend Loch Fyne and The Blue Bicycle, both on the Foss Way Bridge in the city centre.

York isn't car friendly. If you're driving in, either use the excellent park & ride or leave the car at your base and hoof it around the city. Everything's within walking distance apart from the outlying retail parks on the ring road (better not let the significant other know about those).

Plus in a pinch, the local dealer, JCT600 VW York gets a good review from my friend, and he's a bit picky.

Hope you enjoy it! :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:48:06 am »
I was there in July and tbh I don't think you really need to spend much money to enjoy it, it's great just to walk about and see the Minster, castle, gardens and local drunk mental cases like the guy that kept calling my mrs a witch which was made worse by me agreeing with him and suggesting a public burning, this guy was seriously mental he went away to gather sticks !

Anyway there are the races and the open top bus was worth a shot too, the blue bicycle was nice for food as was bettys tea room, also you have got to get yourself to a hog roast and get a roll on awesome pork, onion and mustard num num !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 12:11:19 pm »
Wow! Cheers guys, nice little list there. I think we'll get the tickets for the Yorvic Centre and Dungeons (seeing as it will cost us nowt) and give them a go anyway. But there's some nice little additions there and a big help..  :happy2:

*EDIT* Why can I not give any Thank You's on this thread???  :confused:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:13:13 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline ED30 T

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 10:36:29 pm »
Now then fella
i'm a newbie on here, but i do live in York.
the castle museum is the best place to visit. cheap to get in and loads to see.
the railway museum is an excellent visit. its free to get in but if you take the car, its £7 to park.
Jorvik centre is good but is always very busy.
York dungeons have changed over the last two years. its now interactive. they jump out and scare the living daylights out of you.
somewhere to eat during the day, i would recommend vj's bar. great food at a good price. its near browns and next to the roman bath pub.
i can safey say that there isn't anywhere i would not recommend to eat as they are all good. maybe avoid betty's as its very expensive.
make sure you bring big coats. its starting to get very cold :signLOL:
if you see a CW ED30 around york it's more likely to be me as there is not many around the york area.
hope this helps and enjoy your trip.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:32 am »
Now then fella
i'm a newbie on here, but i do live in York.
the castle museum is the best place to visit. cheap to get in and loads to see.
the railway museum is an excellent visit. its free to get in but if you take the car, its £7 to park.
Jorvik centre is good but is always very busy.
York dungeons have changed over the last two years. its now interactive. they jump out and scare the living daylights out of you.
somewhere to eat during the day, i would recommend vj's bar. great food at a good price. its near browns and next to the roman bath pub.
i can safey say that there isn't anywhere i would not recommend to eat as they are all good. maybe avoid betty's as its very expensive.
make sure you bring big coats. its starting to get very cold :signLOL:
if you see a CW ED30 around york it's more likely to be me as there is not many around the york area.
hope this helps and enjoy your trip.

Massive help, cheers chap.  :happy2: If our 2 CW ED30's cross paths I will be sure to give you a wave mate  :wink:
Starting to get a nice list compiled now, thanks guys...  :congrats: