Make a donation

Author Topic: Disadvantages of rep wheels over OEM wheels?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Matthew.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Disadvantages of rep wheels over OEM wheels?
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:26:48 pm »
Hi guys, as per the title, whats the disadvantages of rep wheels over OEM wheels?

In particular the 18" Monza II reps frequently on ebay?

I know they are heavier than OEM wheels, but are there any other disadvantages?

Cheers, Matt.  :smiley:
2006 Golf GTI - Diamond Black Pearl - Edition 30 Pescaras - Armrest - CD Multi-changer - Colour Coded Rear Valance

Progress thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65230.new.html#new

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Disadvantages of rep wheels over OEM wheels?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:41:10 pm »
Quality MAY be an issue.  I daresay there are some well made reps but there are likely to be a lot more cheap chinese knock-offs about than good uns.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:41:39 pm »
Mine has reps on it and some other disadvantages I can see are cheap construction, incorrect offset and balancing issues. The one of mine that I've studied has about 90-120g of lead weight attached!

Offline Matthew.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 07:45:11 pm »
LOL so they arent the best then   :signLOL:

Always wondered what the quality was like on these compared to OEM ones...
2006 Golf GTI - Diamond Black Pearl - Edition 30 Pescaras - Armrest - CD Multi-changer - Colour Coded Rear Valance

Progress thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65230.new.html#new

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:50:21 pm »
I have had (BBS) CH reps for the last 12 months or so been in a small accident where they needed refurbing but they are still straight and the last tyres I had on I think I have about 1-2 weights on each wheel which is more than I can say for the original monza 17" Gti wheels I had on when I bought the car.

Also my Lambo reps I had on previously for over 18 months where in perfect condition and are on to there 3rd forum member :happy2:

But what I would say is look for the good one,  I know that is a bit stupid to say but if you get them off of eBay then look at the feedback.

Darren   

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:14:31 pm »
Don't forget that the tyres play their part in the amount of wheel weights used. One of my Detroits has 120g on it, and that's an OEM alloy.

I guess another disadvantage is that they nearly always look like reps, and the extra weight plays a massive part in the feel and handling of your car.

GTIStevie

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 03:38:39 am »
I just recently purchased a set of rep black and polished wheels from eBay and the look very similar they weigh about the same however when fitted my car suddenly developed a strange banging noise from the front.. So I just called the company where I bought them from and I'm waiting to be refunded. They certainly looked the part but something just wasn't right with them.

I've had my original wheels refurbed and they are much better.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:15:32 am »

the extra weight plays a massive part in the feel and handling of your car.

....Most definitely!  :happy2:

Also, in the case of Monza's, don't forget that the oem originals have BBS's patented Hollow Technology and the Monza was specifically developed for the Mk5 GTI (would include the Mk5.5 aka Mk6).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Matthew.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 04:20:07 pm »
Some great info here guys!

Malfuss

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 05:48:45 pm »
We picked up a set of BBS LM reps and so far they seem spot on. I think they've improved the cars handling slightly and weren't too heavy. However, time will tell as they've only been on there a month.

gaz b

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 06:07:31 pm »

My reps needed refubished after 9 months.  :scared:  They lookes terrible. :fighting:

I bought them from wheelbase on ebay!

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 07:00:00 am »
I asked at Wheel Works , he said the quality is normally very poor and almost always more heavy ,but the most shocking thing he said was BBS quality was over rated , wash your mouth out you naughty man !!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 08:20:03 am »

but the most shocking thing he said was BBS quality was over rated , wash your mouth out you naughty man !!!

....But he was right if he was referring to BBS's shocking record of durability of their lacquered diamond-cut finish. I've see white worm surface corrosion even on BBS wheels on expensive Mercedes cars.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:26 am »

but the most shocking thing he said was BBS quality was over rated , wash your mouth out you naughty man !!!

....But he was right if he was referring to BBS's shocking record of durability of their lacquered diamond-cut finish. I've see white worm surface corrosion even on BBS wheels on expensive Mercedes cars.
Exactly!
However, any diamond cut laquered wheel is prone to white worm. The laquer just doesn't adhere to the surface very well and moisture gets in. That's why I went for RS6 reps over Monza 11 (real or rep it's the same problem).