Make a donation

Author Topic: Compact digital camera recommendations  (Read 2133 times)

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Compact digital camera recommendations
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:01:06 pm »
Hi Guys i have a canon Digital SLR but im looking to upgrade my old sony cybershot p150, can you guys recommend a good one with a budget of £150
thanks in advance

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b37c6npbtlfp0jfvd29h6v3inn&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Compact digital camera recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:23:05 pm »
I have a stock response for this question.... "Buy a canon IXUS... the most expensive that you can afford"  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:30:53 pm »
The ixus range are very good.

I tend to see what's available in my budget range and then head over to dpreview.com to have a closer look at the cameras and specs etc.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:26:36 pm »
I have a stock response for this question.... "Buy a canon IXUS... the most expensive that you can afford"  :happy2:

I am a long time fan of Ixi, (that must be the plural!) and have an Ixus 960IS on my desk as I type. Great camera, and sooo pocket sized. :congrats:

However, it is also worth having a look at the many offerings in the so called superzoom market. I have a Canon SX200IS next to the Ixus. With 12x optical and 4 times digital zoom, together with 12mp, and a steady hand you can take some great shots. This has been superceded by the SX210IS, which even has GPS!, but there is plenty of competition out there to check out, look for a shoot out,  :signLOL: .

Amazon have some gret deals at the mo. :happy2:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Cameras-Accessories-Photography-Bundles/b/ref=amb_link_64355965_6?ie=UTF8&node=560836&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1WBXZ4HGSRKWNW0NG5H8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=211901487&pf_rd_i=560834

My Canon EOS450 stays in the cupboard most of the time, which is a shame.

TonyZ
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:29:01 pm by TonyZed »

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24:23 am »
Thanks Guys there really is a lot of choice, i was considering a panasonic lumix FS-33 if anybody has a view on the panasonics, i love my Digital SLR but want a good small camera for holidays.

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:32:02 am »
I haven't used a Panasonic Lumix but they seem to have a good reputation.

I use a Fuji FinePix 200EXR which is very compact and sturdy. I gave up the big SLR pro systems a while ago (after lugging them around America) but compact digitals do have their limitations. I'd like a Leica X1 next but they costs loadsa dosh so it'll have to wait its turn on the list.

As 'stealth' says, check out the dpreview web pages: Excellent and practical advice.

As someone else said, with things like cameras and computers, always get the most expensive you can afford.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline smokeybubbles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:45:36 pm »
i have used a few in the panasonic range and really liked them.  but then i have never really got on with the ixus, so each to there own i suppose.  I am a big fan at the moment of the Cybershot DSC t900.  really like that one.