Make a donation

Author Topic: Blowing Exhaust  (Read 2508 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Blowing Exhaust
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:38:46 pm »
My 06' GTI's OEM exhaust is slightly blowing.

Sounds okay, not too rough.
Does this have any effect on other important components?

How likely is it to have a replacement on warranty?  :indifferent: I've got the used car VW warranty, but what justification could I give if I want a new one, if any?  :scared:

Thanks,

Pete.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: Blowing Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »
Don't think exhaust is covered on warranty & the mild steel system is a round £300.00 so i would bin it & get a Milltek cat back,thats what i did. :wink:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:35:52 pm »
^^
That's probably the sensible thing to do GH but I want to keep engine related components as OEM as poss  :ashamed: Good suggestion though, had crossed my mind. Fair bit of expense to do that; exhaust, fitting and insurance -so that's my H&R springs and Carbonio cash for this month  :happy2:

Its still blowing slightly now. I quite like the sound in all honesty but are there any drawbacks to it blowing - Will performance/economy decrease to any noticeable levels? It's been like this for over 6 months and I've not seen anything significant, may I have missed any likely side effects?

Thanks.
Pete

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:47:16 pm »
^^
That's probably the sensible thing to do GH but I want to keep engine related components as OEM as poss  :ashamed: Good suggestion though, had crossed my mind. Fair bit of expense to do that; exhaust, fitting and insurance -so that's my H&R springs and Carbonio cash for this month  :happy2:

Its still blowing slightly now. I quite like the sound in all honesty but are there any drawbacks to it blowing - Will performance/economy decrease to any noticeable levels? It's been like this for over 6 months and I've not seen anything significant, may I have missed any likely side effects?

Thanks.

Slam a wanted ad, there are still Milltek equiped people with a good OEM exhaust in the shed.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:21:01 pm »
Again, good thought Dave. Ta.

Point is however, do I need a replacement one?
VAGCOM shows no errors, economy and performance seem to both be unaffected. The only thing that's changed over time is a small change in the exhaust note and after note, it simply sounds a bit rawer' and grubbier. I quite like it  :jumping:

Tbh I don't really understand the specifics on why it comes to blow, presumably its just wear and tear?
Pete

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:38:55 pm »
exhaust gasses are corosive to steal, so it slowly rusts away and its worse on shorter journey as the condensation point is before the backbox, and road salt from winter.  guess it depends on the size of the hole but you will loose a bit of back pressure and I suppose it might be an MOT issue but sure someone maybe maxitrol can let you know, he seems to be up on his MOT rules.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »
^ Useful Rich, ta  :smiley:
I need to get underneath it and listen/diagnose.

One other symptom is on starting up the car, there's an extra long grunt as though it's still trying to turn something over. Could that be the rush of gases escaping out of the hole(s)?

Cheers.
Pete

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »
Is also using more oil a symptom of a blowing exhaust guys, or is that just my engine anyway?  :signLOL:
Pete