Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM or fake?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: OEM or fake?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 04:09:01 pm »
the word r32 style give it away they are fake

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline No-fear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:09:56 pm »
When they mention "style" in the description they are fakes.

Hope this helps.

It's better to have Raced once in your life than be a Spectator for all of it.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:11:13 pm »
lol sorry I appreciate that....but looking for a set of these and there is also a lot saying genuine - same with the Monza's - lots of fakes about. Any tips to spotting a REAL OEM wheel ?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 04:14:32 pm »

Example - genuine....but are they? can you really tell any difference? as want to ensure Iget genuines!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagon-Golf-R32-MK5-genuine-18-wheels-tyres-/150499694141?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item230a7b163d

Offline No-fear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 04:20:15 pm »
Ask for a photo showing the stamping on the inside of the rim, it will show the vw symbol and the size and offset.

Then you'll know for sure they are genuine, always ask them to prove it.

It's better to have Raced once in your life than be a Spectator for all of it.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 04:27:57 pm »
Fab, thats what I wanted to know. They do have a stamp then thanks

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 05:04:08 pm »
The majority of replica's have a smaller centre badge than the real ones and are likely to be sold by an ebay trader.  I'd be more inclined to believe they are genuine if sold by a 'regular joe'.  This doesn't apply all the time but it can help to give you a feel.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 06:17:16 pm »
another sign is the OEM rims tend to be 7.5" wide, most replicas are 8"

Offline smokeybubbles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »
markings on the inside of the wheel are the easiest way.  i havent seen any replicas with a vw logo stamped,  but i have seen that programme fake britian, and there are people who will copy anything...

Offline Sparky Craig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • Looking To Sell my R32 :(
    • My R32 Page
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »
Another Quick way to HELP tell the real from the fake is...

See where on the wheel the air inlet valve is.... If between the larger of the spoke`s they are more likely to fakes as I`ve ONLY ever seen the real OEM wheels with the Valve`s installed within the smaller spokes....

I could be wrong but that`s what I look out for ....