Make a donation

Author Topic: I'd like to rest my arm now and again...  (Read 2791 times)

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
I'd like to rest my arm now and again...
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:18:38 pm »
I have really come to miss my armrest like I had in my old GT TDi. I bought my new Mk5 GTI and it had all the bells and whistles I wanted but completely forgot about the one thing that makes it feel like an armchair.

Does anyone know how much and where I might be able to purchase an armrest (has to be leather) and if it is easy to install i.e. no replacing the whole seat etc..

Met my first fellow GTi driver on the A3 yesterday and we gave each other the 'knowing nod' and had a bit of fun with the accelerator, just managed to break before the speed camera, opps!

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: I'd like to rest my arm now and again...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:20 pm »
You can get a retrofit kit either from the VW dealer or from ebay, they are generally genuine but give it a sanity check, usually go for around £200 and its simple the fit.

Basically you remove the rear cup holder which is a seperate trim piece to the center tunnel, and bolt the armrest in its place, all holes are existing.  The only thing to consider is there are a few varieties of interior, one is a largish cubby hole, and an alternative to accept a 6Cd changer or ipod prep, so make sure you get the most suitable for your needs. 

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 02:03:55 pm »
Thanks Rich, you seem to know your stuff. I also want to know how much it would cost to have the 6CD player replaced with the factory Satnav system? Any ideas or is it best just stick to my ipod?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:25:17 pm »
Someone is selling a RNS510 which is the third gen Satnav for £400 its a awesoem bit of kit, makes the dash look modern has a large touchscreen, with HDD for NAv and Music, SD card reader for additional and control of telephone prep traffic announcements can watch DVDs etc etc one thing to look out for is you can get issues with battery draining if you have too new a firmware on the unit and an older can gateway module, but this can be replaced for £70 but both will require some coding with VCDS.  edit: you can also install older firmware.

Not sure if some of that will have blown your mind or if your clued up but there are a lot of posts in the audio section, or pm or reply with any questions.  Another brillinat resource is a website my-gti http://www.my-gti.com/1101 should answer most questions.

If your doing the arm-rest and the nav system then my advice would be to drop the cabling in for the 6 cd changer or MDI cable to the armrest will save yopu having to take it all to pieces again.

Where abouts are you based?, or do you have a Vag com cable?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:32:01 pm by Richn83 »

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 02:53:04 pm »
Just to add I have said arm rest casing, CD Changer (brand spanking new in it's box) cable, aux connector and rubber mat for sale (not listed it yet as the car hasn't gone)

NB....No top cushion bit though (the actual arm rest you'd need to source) but all the other bits are ready to go and are all brand new still bagged. :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 03:41:04 pm »
Moschops, so you have the internal bracket that bolts on to the floor, the plastic shroud, cup holder for the rear, and lid mechanism along with 6 cd changer.  but the lid is missing the cover??? 

Can I ask if its a B version with the clip on type cover, rather than the rail type? C version.

(I have a leather clip on B version cover, that I was hoping to replace my C version cloth top)

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 04:00:32 pm »
I saw a few on e bay about 6 months ago for about £100, replaced my cloth one for a leather one, and lost no money on it.
Bear in mind that if you do want the rear air con vents to work that it makes the job a whole lot more confusing.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »
Moschops, so you have the internal bracket that bolts on to the floor, the plastic shroud, cup holder for the rear, and lid mechanism along with 6 cd changer.  but the lid is missing the cover???  Rich, no brakets as I was replacing the current cubby hole variant with a CD changer and external aux socket case. So my brakets and actual arm rest were already in the car.

Can I ask if its a B version with the clip on type cover, rather than the rail type? C version. Sorry no idea on the B or C models, both were in 08 Eddy and 09 R32 but are the same. But know they slide and have screws near the hinge.

(I have a leather clip on B version cover, that I was hoping to replace my C version cloth top)
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:07:07 pm by Moschops »
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »
Is this the armrest that sits above the CD Changer that you can extend forwards and back? My car has this , I had no idea it was an option.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:36:26 pm »
Is this the armrest that sits above the CD Changer that you can extend forwards and back? My car has this , I had no idea it was an option.

Yup....it was. :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne