Make a donation

Author Topic: Standard steering wheel to MFSW  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Standard steering wheel to MFSW
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:04:29 pm »
Guys, 
Does anybody know whether you can utilise the existing standard square bottom GTi steering wheel and buy the 2 multifunction switch buttons and steering wheel module (ECU) and convert the standard steering wheel into a MFSW with the correct coding etc?
All advice would be greatly appreciated.
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Standard steering wheel to MFSW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:13:59 pm »
I did this with help from forum folk. If and only if you have a DSG steering wheel with paddle shift fitted from new, then it is an easy upgrade. If you have a non-paddle shift wheel, or you drive a manual, it's a world of woe. New steering wheel controller & slipring etc.

So, assuming you can say 'yes' to DSG & paddles, in theory it's just a case of fitting new switches into the wheel, and in my case, no VCDS coding was required. I only needed the two switch units. The existing steering wheel control unit was fine.

There are numerous threads on the subject. The search function is your friend.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17018.msg244743.html#msg244743
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16192.msg237786.html#msg237786

I can give you part numbers if required.

:smiley:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:32:55 pm »
Hi LouCyffer ,
Thanks for the info.  I don't have the DSG paddle steering, and I understand what you're saying about it being horrendous with the decoding etc.
I'm not too concerned about that as a professional fitter is doing the job for me so will sort that out.  What I really need to know is if the actual switches and MFSW module (as I know there are 3 parts for this upgrade, VW told me) can work from any MFSW in the MK5 range, or are there specific ones just for the GTi?  :scared:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 07:05:34 pm »
Bugger! I don't know that. MortyGTTDi Darren is yer man there I think.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »
Pondering this, there are folk on here that have fitted a Mk6 wheel to their Mk5 so I think your kit doesn't need to be GTI-specific.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:32:46 pm »
I sem to agree with you, but I've just hit a major show stopper  :confused:
It seems it doesn't really matter even if I had the original switches and module from an existing MFSW, I wouldn't be able to transfer them to mine as the cable holes etc. are not there when removing the 2 plastic covers  :sad1:

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:50:52 pm »
Best answer for you mate...

1) Buy a MFSW from eBay or post on here someone might be selling one (if you drive a DSG then get a paddle-shift one whilst your at it) and sell your old one (plenty of people want standard GTI wheels).

2) Make sure your existing steering control module supports MFSW functionality;

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

3) Get it fitted either by VW (they charged me £92 to fit a MFSW/SCM & Code paddles and the MFSW) It's a lot to pay for some people, but VW did it and it was a painless exercise, they got the job done no problem - if not, a forum member who lives nearby may be willing to help with this.

Enjoy... However please remember, if you use an aftermarket stereo you will need a CAN-BUS adaptor for the MFSW controls to work with it, for example, I have an Alpine stereo, and I had already fitted a CAN-BUS unit when fitting the stereo as I knew i'd end up getting a MFSW at some point.
Also, if your dash is not 'highline' then the track change/skip/ff/rewind buttons will not work.

Offline dan_gt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:10:15 pm »
Just bought the cruise control stalk and mfsw buttons so will be attempting this myself on my dsg next week. Will do a step by step how to guide for future ref.