Make a donation

Author Topic: gti and edition 30, engine difference  (Read 2183 times)

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
gti and edition 30, engine difference
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:54:28 pm »
Hi first post, looking to buy a gti or an edition 30, hoping someone can explain the difference in both cars, not interested in the cosmetic difference, more the engine, I have done a search on here and other forums, so far these are my findings, would be grateful if the knowledgeable people on here would correct me if they are correct or incorrect,

Edition 30
1.   larger turbo, k04 as apposed to the ko3 on the gti
2.   Audi s3 engine which has updated engine components

Does any one know what is uprated on the engine and does the Ed 30 have a larger intercooler or anything else I have not listed engine wise, thanks in advance

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
Re: gti and edition 30, engine difference
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:05:47 pm »
There is no differance to the intercooler both are the same, but as for the internals the only think the GTI shares is the crank, pistons, cams, rods the lot are differant
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:09:28 pm by gobbleplease »
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:16:00 pm »
There is no differance to the intercooler both are the same, but as for the internals the only think the GTI shares is the crank, pistons, cams, rods the lot are differant

Thanks for the speedy reply, so I guess you can’t reliably tune the gti as high as the ed 30 then? What would be a safe and reliable bhp rise to run a gti on , thanks?

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:38:32 pm »
There are guys running BIG turbos on the gti at about 360bhp and the K04 turbo upgrade runs perfect on the GTI with no reliability issues at roughly 320bhp at stage 2+.

Stage 2+ on the GTI is a good place to be with the standard turbo, for this you will ideally need an intercooler, HPFP, Intake, Full turbo back exhaust and stage 2+ software which should see about 280bhp and 320lbft+ of torque which is bloody quick !

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:55:14 pm »
There are guys running BIG turbos on the gti at about 360bhp and the K04 turbo upgrade runs perfect on the GTI with no reliability issues at roughly 320bhp at stage 2+.

Stage 2+ on the GTI is a good place to be with the standard turbo, for this you will ideally need an intercooler, HPFP, Intake, Full turbo back exhaust and stage 2+ software which should see about 280bhp and 320lbft+ of torque which is bloody quick !

Good bhp gains, 280bhp would only be 70bhp short of my r32gtr skyline, thanks for all the good information, great forum

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:11:14 pm »
It doesnt sound much but the delivery is very strong and torquie, it will deliver the 60 dash in under 6 seconds :happy2: