Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Intake Headlight  (Read 6283 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Air Intake Headlight
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 07:05:58 pm »
Have any of you looked at the relevant manual in my sticky thread - because I'm sure that's where I gleaned the info from many moons ago?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 07:17:45 pm »
I have and I used one of them to originally carry out the job.  I removed my lights several times to carry out work on my Ed30, and to retrofit (no washers or levellers) a set of OEM xenons.

I think VW got it wrong, I tried for ages, and no joy.  the sticking point is the lower fixing being behind the bumper bar.  Knowing how fragile the 3 lugs are (hence the repair kit available from VW)

Yes you can get the lamp loose, but not get it out, well I couldn't, and nor could Jay.  Less hassle to remove the apron.

I am not a Vehicle Tech, but an aerospace engineer (24 years) and before that a toolmaker (5 years).  Happy to be proven wrong, but I think you will damage either the lamp assembly or the bumper/wing.  I stand by my original post.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 07:24:30 pm »
I have and I used one of them to originally carry out the job.  I removed my lights several times to carry out work on my Ed30, and to retrofit (no washers or levellers) a set of OEM xenons.

I think VW got it wrong, I tried for ages, and no joy.  the sticking point is the lower fixing being behind the bumper bar.  Knowing how fragile the 3 lugs are (hence the repair kit available from VW)

Yes you can get the lamp loose, but not get it out, well I couldn't, and nor could Jay.  Less hassle to remove the apron.
OK, the only time I removed my headlamps was with the bumper off.

I am not a Vehicle Tech, but an aerospace engineer (24 years) and before that a toolmaker (5 years).  Happy to be proven wrong, but I think you will damage either the lamp assembly or the bumper/wing.  I stand by my original post.
Sorry - I wasn't doubting you or Jay, or questioning your abilites - I was just slightly confused that the official manuals said it could be done. :happy2: :grouphug:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 07:29:17 pm »
Is this why a lot of cars at santa pod had a headlight missing? i figured it must be to do with optimising air intake.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.