Make a donation

Author Topic: Aerial question...  (Read 2050 times)

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
Aerial question...
« on: October 02, 2010, 04:21:23 am »
2 chaps at work have Mk5's, as do I, but mine is the only one that has an aerial on the roof. Just wondered why really?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Aerial question...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 07:03:58 am »
Cost cutting I believe. The early models had two aerials in the rear window. But I think this also had reception problems so now there's one in the window and one on the roof.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 08:11:01 am »
Cost cutting I believe. The early models had two aerials in the rear window. But I think this also had reception problems so now there's one in the window and one on the roof.
..........mine is an 05 with no roof aerial & it works great,even in the dales around yorkshire  :happy2:  :grin:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:22:28 am »

That makes sense. Theirs are an 04 and a 55 and mine's a 57. Mind you, mine only has a grand total 5 stations on FM, but that might be coz I lives in the sticks? Need to get up that there London!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:26:04 am »

That makes sense. Theirs are an 04 and a 55 and mine's a 57. Mind you, mine only has a grand total 5 stations on FM, but that might be coz I lives in the sticks? Need to get up that there London!
...........but i bet you have the cool blue tinted glass ?. :wink:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 09:29:44 am »
And the extra tinted bits on the back windows!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 09:33:44 am »
..........mine is an 05 with no roof aerial & it works great,even in the dales around yorkshire  :happy2:  :grin:
mine is a 54 plate with no aerial on the roof..and  mine woorks ok around the yorkshire fine as well

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 10:11:39 am »
Same here, 05, blue glass, no aerial, silver ashtray trim and 10 speakers even with the crappy rcd300 that was in the car  :drinking:

Never had any issues with reception so I do tend to think it was an accounting decision of some sort that got rid of it.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:20:27 am »
Same here, 05, blue glass, no aerial, silver ashtray trim and 10 speakers even with the crappy rcd300 that was in the car  :drinking:

Never had any issues with reception so I do tend to think it was an accounting decision of some sort that got rid of it.
............same here. :happy2:One thing less for the little bas***ds to try & rip off as well.

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:46:43 pm »
Mine was a 54 plate without the ariel and with the blue glass, better fogs etc etc. Radio reception was always fine.
The point of my post though is to say that the mk6s have moved back to this type of ariel in the rear screen unless you have nav or phone prep.
Andy
7R

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 03:09:17 pm »
But it's still cheaper to make the MK6 than it was to make the MK5 (although more expensive, hence larger profits).

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline kirkland

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 09:15:05 am »
mine is a 54 plate with no aerial on the roof..and  mine woorks ok around the yorkshire fine as well

The issue at the time was reported as poor reception in the home market ( Germany).