Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice needed for brakes...  (Read 13102 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Advice needed for brakes...
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:46 am »
dave,

where could we go if we wanted to get custom carriers made?  do you have any links etc. ive tried google but with no luck

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 09:32:37 am »
I've probably got a drawing for nearly every caliper that works on each platform, its either been done nor been considered and knocked on the head for some reason.

For the Mk5/6 Ive got carriers for boxsters through to Carrera GT (not kidding)

Alternatively we could change a drawing to reflect a change in disc e.g. convert the DB9 Caliper/R32 Disc drawing to the DB9/Mercedes R500 Disc

Just done R8 Fronts onto an S3 Here

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/103642-r8-brakes-s3.html

Theres a guy selling 996 Carrera Front Caliper Carriers on ebay from Volksbits you'd need a 20mm spacer to clear the SLK disc that he's using, I supplied a guy who then copied it just as he did my 996 rear fitting kit about 2 years ago  :fighting:

So if you've got any freaky ideas for Discs/Caliper combo's chances are its been done or thought about already but give me a shout and I'll see what can be sorted it wont be overnight but we've got a cnc equipped machined shop and every hub from Mk3/Mk4/M5/S3(8p) front and rear laid on a bench for doing development work

Theres always some form of solution for most problems having said that some things just dont work well even though they should

Such as the Lamborghini Diablo brakes on a Mk4 Thread http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/257212.aspx?PageIndex=1 which should have worked but proved difficult to get a pedal with on most installs and really got over took with the Porsche stuff which was easier to fit and narrower and looked better, that thread had 20k hits in 6 months!

Its interesting that the NQSBBK thread is the second most read thread on this forum!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 10:00:28 am »
Dave, what would be the heavy duty metallic pad of choice for track day hooning in your opinion?

h4rdy

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010, 02:26:13 pm »
They get a bad press but they're from the same factory as the XYZ stuff bolted to the aforementioned Bora, as long as the piston size surface area TOTALS about 48-50 sq cms then the caliper will give a good pedal, some well thought out piston sizes will give good progression after you've done that its down to what the quality of the pad and discs are like.

Some of the K Sport stuff doesnt come with dust seals which isn't optimal but with some prevenative maintenance shouldnt be a problem.

I personally wouldn't want them on my daily but probably wouldn't hesitate putting them on a lightweight track slag and when they're knacked chuck em and replace the whole lot when they're done - seal kits can be expensive as can replacement rotors.

The more conventional suppliers such as AP  Brembo and Alcon are reassuringly expensive but the disc/consumable replacement costs whilst not cheap are not stupid expensive. Seal kit for a 10 pot tarox setup = £450 for 20 rubber rings!

You can get the 362mm x 32mm replacement rotor CP4542 for about £300 from AP - not bad?

Thanks Dave, for the money I am tempted to go for the 356 fronts and 330 tears. I think from memory 8 pot front 6 pot rear for £1500 but I would upgrade the pads supplied.

I'll email them for more info.

J

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 03:43:18 pm »
Dave, what would be the heavy duty metallic pad of choice for track day hooning in your opinion?

Hi Steve

Camskill show a MDB1873M1166 semi metallic for £122 which I could probably get down to sub £100 to you

For a full blown Carbon Metallic setup you'd probably go for a Mintex F4R which they use on Group N cars and stock showroom stuff in the states, the other F series pads by mintex are all pretty hard core for Nascar and Touring Cars.

I wouldn't expect much change out of £200 for those, plus you'd need to factor in some more discs to use them with and you'd probably end up with a 1/4mm lip after each track day so possibly 3-4 days on them, you wouldn't ever have to worry about fade ever again though - ever

You'd probably be into cooling ducting as well simply to deal with the extra heat generated to stop the discs from warping - All possible but where do you stop?

Offline marty341

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 06:16:00 pm »
just had my mot done and the tester looked at the brakes and said to me i bet they work  :laugh: so i said jump in and i will show how well they work  :grin: 20mph emergency stop  :laugh: his head almost came off  :signLOL: with the words god they work  :signLOL:
hehehe Funny Sh!t