Make a donation

Author Topic: Can Paddle shifts be removed from R32 MFSW so can fit to a manual?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Brooko19

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can just remove paddle shift to fit to a manual car? I have a manual Gt Sport and want to fit a R32/GTI flat bottom steering wheel but I cant seem to find one of these that has multi function and is NOT DSG, they are either non mfsw or mfsw with paddle shift.
So I was wondering how easy it would be to buy one with paddle shifts and just remove the paddle shifts, would the multi function still work ok etc etc?

Thanks
Craig

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Re: Can Paddle shifts be removed from R32 MFSW so can fit to a manual?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:29:58 pm »
Why dont you retro fit the MFSW at the same time you fit a none paddle shift steering wheel?
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Brooko19

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:53:41 pm »
Suppose I could do but non mfsw and non paddle shift go for alot more money than the mfsw with paddle shift so if the paddle shift can be removed might be cheaper if not ill have to retro fit mfsw

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:38 pm »
I'm sure you could remove the paddles, but you would have two holes, you might be better to leave the paddles in place they arent to obvious unless they light which they wont if you unplug them.  One other issue with MFSW into a manual car is that you might not have the right controller and slip ring to accept the MFSW signals.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Brooko19

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:06:44 pm »
Thanks for your info, I could just leave them on I dont think they would bother me. Regarding your last point about the multi function buttons may not work and the slip ring would this be an issue even as my steering wheel at the moment is a mfsw? I have my rns510 and bluetooth all set up to the steering wheel so I would need the buttons to still work.

Thanks

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 02:37:48 am »
I have an r32 dsg mf wheel on my gt tdi manual golf. I took the paddles out and stripped them down so that your left with the bracket that is screwed back in, i then for the moment put black tape over the bracket and put it back in the wheel.

Looks okay until i can find some leather offcuts to cover it up properly, like you said the fbmfsw is hard to come by? They all seem to have the paddles or be stupidly high priced. The mk6 gti wheel is actually cheaper these days than the mk5 wheel.

Darren

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:03:04 am »
Thanks for your info, I could just leave them on I dont think they would bother me. Regarding your last point about the multi function buttons may not work and the slip ring would this be an issue even as my steering wheel at the moment is a mfsw? I have my rns510 and bluetooth all set up to the steering wheel so I would need the buttons to still work.

Thanks

If you already have the MFSW but its just not a GTI then it will all work fine, I had assumed you were trying to fit a MFSW to a car without MF buttons.  And if you already have the buttons then you can just get a DSG standard wheel without the buttons, as they have the cut outs built in and you can just fit your existing buttons.  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.