Make a donation

Poll

which of the following would be best or most used amongest are selfs??? or if not listed please do so!

PK20PRP8  Denso Platinum Spark Plug
1 (3.6%)
FR7KPP332 Bosch Platinum Spark Plug
13 (46.4%)
ik20 Denso Iridium Power Spark Plug (5304)
3 (10.7%)
PFR6Q NGK Platinum Spark Plug (6458)
11 (39.3%)
VK20Y Denso Iridium Tough Spark Plug (5620)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Mk5 GTI spark plugs  (Read 37118 times)

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
Re: Mk5 GTI spark plugs
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:16:09 pm »
T_T are you politely suggesting I remove the Densos and go back to a set of OEMs?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 09:26:40 pm »
T_T are you politely suggesting I remove the Densos and go back to a set of OEMs?
That is your call.  However, VW (actually, it is Audi who carry out the vast majority of engine development for the VW Group) test and fit spark plugs from all makes - Bosch, NGK, Beru, AC, even Champion - and then specify the best one.  If Densos were as good as they claim - how come NO Densos are recommended by VW or Audi for OEM fitment.

I've been in this game far too long to fanny about trying to chase the 'best' spark plug.  I have never, ever found an OEM spec plug to be unsuitable.  But I have come across many a non-genuine or non-OEM spec plug which has caused issues.

And Densos seem to have a similar but limited 'enthusiasm' in the biker community - but again cause frequent probs.  NGK are by far the best plugs in bikes - from both japs and italians.  I won't include Hardly Davidstows - because they are just two-wheeled tractors!

If you have gone for Densos, then I might politely suggest you have been swayed by marketing over engineering.

ETTO, though.  :smiley:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 09:29:21 pm »
LOL - you ooze passion.  It's an admirable trait, thanks for the help.  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 09:41:10 pm »
LOL - you ooze passion.  It's an admirable trait, thanks for the help.  :happy2:
Call it passion - call it whatever you like.  Just tap up your friendly VW or TPS parts person - and ask them if ANY Denso plug has OEM approval.

And just to clarify, VW/Audi frequently list two competing plugs to satisfy individual preferences - for both the GTI and the RS4 - both Bosch and NGK plugs are listed.  On other engines, that choice may be sommat like Beru or Champion, etc.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 12:11:40 am »
The people who have had problems with the Denso IK24's burning out are the ones running higher power stage 2+ on K04's. Maybe you will be okay with the Denso's on a K03, but I can't say for sure. It just so happened that the Denso's started to fail when I was at the Nurburgring in April and so they killed my outright lapping ability. I had them on for around 3k miles and they were done. The OEM Bosch's simply took everything I threw at them and still looked virtually like new whenever I had them out to check :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:36:17 am »
The people who have had problems with the Denso IK24's burning out are the ones running higher power stage 2+ on K04's. Maybe you will be okay with the Denso's on a K03, but I can't say for sure. It just so happened that the Denso's started to fail when I was at the Nurburgring in April and so they killed my outright lapping ability. I had them on for around 3k miles and they were done. The OEM Bosch's simply took everything I threw at them and still looked virtually like new whenever I had them out to check :happy2:
I don't think you can get a better testiment than that! :happy2: :driver:
------

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 01:16:06 pm »
I'm running the NGK iridiums and they are good though. Car runs sweet with my mods. Those bosch "super" ( i'm guessing they are not the same as the bosch OEM's?) They were absolutely awful!
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 11:58:06 pm »
I'm running the NGK iridiums and they are good though. Car runs sweet with my mods. Those bosch "super" ( i'm guessing they are not the same as the bosch OEM's?) They were absolutely awful!
Bosch Super are generally a 'consumer' plug like what Halfrauds sell.  OEM Bosch plugs generally don't have any fancy 'padding' names.
------