Make a donation

Author Topic: GTi >>> ED30  (Read 14250 times)

Offline RobMKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
GTi >>> ED30
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:53:53 am »
Come on then i know theres a few of you have done this move is it worth it then?

Im tempted its just the R32's are so cheap now also hmm  :confused:
New Golf on the Way :D

Offline T88OMM

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: GTi >>> ED30
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:17:18 am »
I have driven both normal GTI's and owned an ED30. The only reason the ED30 appealed to me more was because of the 'exclusivity' at the time and the KO4 turbo. In essence there is not a lot of difference between the cars but being able to map it to 300 BHP was a big plus over the normal GTI for me personally.

Looking back at it now the car needs a considerable amount of money spending on it to be able to use the power effectively day to day. Quaife, Coilovers, ARB's and brakes are a must IMO. I had all the engine mods, CAI, TBE exhaust, HPFP and Stage 2+ map, don't get me wrong it is the best car I have owned by a long shot but the power was not really useable below 60  :surprised: I was having wheelspin at 80mph in adverse weather conditions which was fun for a while but it started to get tiresome  :wink:

I think coming form yours Rob which is a nicely modified example, you will not notice an awful lot of difference between the ED30 and GTI day to day. To be more specific, you will not be able to use the extra power available...well you can, but your getting to 100+ licence losing territory speed before you notice a massive difference.

Now the R32 is a massively tempting prospect at the moment because of the price like you mentioned and I gotta say I am being tempted by them. I think if I was you personally I would go for the R32, I know you have had a fair few GTI's, if you went for an ED30 you are effectively buying the same car as you currently have, the only big difference is the bigger turbo and strengthened block. If you went for the R32 you would save some money (which you could put towards a turbo fund  :evilgrin:) and you would have a completely different car to your last few, 4WD, V6 soundtrack etc etc.

Hope this helps  :happy2:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:19:20 am by T88OMM »
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:19:54 am »
Come on then i know theres a few of you have done this move is it worth it then?

Wanna buy mine Rob?  :wink:

If your budget can stretch to an ED30 then do it mate  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:23:55 am »

Wanna buy mine Rob?  :wink:

If your budget can stretch to an ED30 then do it mate  :happy2:

:grin: :grin: :grin:  MMmm Hey Nath are you alwhite.  :wink:

Offline RobMKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:28:27 am »
Well think ive sold mine and found a nice Manual ED30, Xenons Heated seats at a very good Price.

I think R32s sound great after having a MK4 for a week abit ago, but not sure if i would would missthe Turbo kick of the GTi/ED30, the only mods i would prob do to ED30 is Map, Exhaust and Sportlines,
New Golf on the Way :D

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:18:09 am »
sold it already? i guess the wheels are going on the new on?

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:35:10 am »

Looking back at it now the car needs a considerable amount of money spending on it to be able to use the power effectively day to day. Quaife, Coilovers, ARB's and brakes are a must IMO. I had all the engine mods, CAI, TBE exhaust, HPFP and Stage 2+ map, don't get me wrong it is the best car I have owned by a long shot but the power was not really useable below 60  :surprised: I was having wheelspin at 80mph in adverse weather conditions which was fun for a while but it started to get tiresome  :wink:

[/quote]

Totally agree  :grin:
Roll on some good dry weather because i can't get any traction atm.
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:38:07 am »
Well think ive sold mine and found a nice Manual ED30, Xenons Heated seats at a very good Price.

I think R32s sound great after having a MK4 for a week abit ago, but not sure if i would would missthe Turbo kick of the GTi/ED30, the only mods i would prob do to ED30 is Map, Exhaust and Sportlines,

You've done the right thing... I have an Ed30 and out of nostalgia, bought an R32 for the wife, V6 soundtrack and all that.. now tbh, the R32 feels sluggish compared to my remapped Ed30 and I don't think it even sounds as good as the Ed30 with a Non-Res Milltek  :surprised:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:39:19 am »

[/quote]

If you spare the money, get a quaife fitted... I have 350/360bhp going through the front wheels on my Ed30 and don't get much wheel spin at all anymore after getting a quaife fitted.

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:46:10 am »

[/quote]

If you spare the money, get a quaife fitted... I have 350/360bhp going through the front wheels on my Ed30 and don't get much wheel spin at all anymore after getting a quaife fitted.
[/quote]

How much was that Mate?
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:10:00 pm »
both great cars, so you cant go wrong tbh  :happy2:

ED30 is getting common too, would have suggest a pirelli for rarity value + few tasteful mods.
R32 , an awesome deal at the moment , if you are happy at that bhp level (pending £££££ for an HPA kit)

I reckon it was the M6Toll  (brief blasts up to the legal limit of course  :wink:)  that persuaded you that more hp was on order  :grin:  :driver:

Whatever you choose, a change is always fun  :drinking:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 12:12:53 pm »
Having not driven an ED30 / R32 modded or otherwise i cant comment performance etc.  What i would take into consideration though is the running costs and tuning potential (at reasonable money) of the 2 cars..... ED30 wins on both counts  :smiley:
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 12:21:28 pm »

How much was that Mate?

....Supply and install incl vat - About £1,500 for DSG version and £1,200 for Manual. Not a job for someone who doesn't have experience.

Both illyun and myself had it done by VW Racing - VERY experienced! - Phone Mark at VWR 01908 210088.

HTH

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:25:42 pm »

On the original topic, I think I prefer a fully modded GTI to an Ed30 which clearly delivers a bit too much power to be both practical and stay legal unless you spend lots more.

R32 V6 would be very tempting but probably tricky to sell on one day (usually soon in your case, Rob!).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 12:26:41 pm »

How much was that Mate?

....Supply and install incl vat - About £1,500 for DSG version and £1,200 for Manual. Not a job for someone who doesn't have experience.

Both illyun and myself had it done by VW Racing - VERY experienced! - Phone Mark at VWR 01908 210088.

HTH

Me too..  :happy2:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128