Make a donation

Author Topic: Multifunction steering 08-09 compatibility - VW clueless  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Multifunction steering 08-09 compatibility - VW clueless
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:18:23 pm »
Guys,
Anybody able to shed some light on this subject would be greatly appreciated, as VW themselves don't know the answer.  I want to buy a multifunction square bottom steering wheel to retrofit.  The steering wheel I'd like to buy on Ebay has a part number 1K0 419 091 GR TDL which apparently according to VW is only compatible on MK5 golfs '08-'09???????  I have an '06 but cannot understand why this wheel would not work on my car.  It looks identical to a wheel that would be compatible, and it has the new buttons as well (OK button on the right bottom switch).  VW cannot tell me the difference between the wheel I require and the 1 on Ebay.  Surely the 2 switches and looms are identical, as well as the other steering module on the bottom spoke (part number 1K0 959 542 B).  The only other difference I can think of is that the slip ring may be different, or the connections that plug into the steering control module?????  But then again I may be talking hogwash, as this is all new to me......any suggestions?  :scared:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
Re: Multifunction steering 08-09 compatibility - VW clueless
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:01:21 pm »
Complete tosh it'll fit on no probs mate the actual module that sorts the steering out is under column.

Darren

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:17:10 pm »
I would normally agree, but after a bit of digging around, this wheel apparently comes off a Tiguan, and the airbag system is apparently different on them???  A mate of mine compared the part number of the module that the switch and airbags plug into and it seems to be different to the norm?
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:07:06 pm »
You can use your own airbag and just buy a new wiring loom.  believe me I have fitted more steering wheels and cruise control even quite a few mk6 steering wheels seen the lot.

There is 3 different slip rings 1 of them is a different airbag plug to suite the twin ignitor system, But is usually found on the Audi A3 and very early mk5 golf i.e 04.

Darren