Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering Wheel Airbag  (Read 5976 times)

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Steering Wheel Airbag
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:05:22 pm »
Hello,

My first time on this forum. I'm after some advice regaring my steering wheel airbag.

Someone broke into my car and stole my steering wheel airbag. I've purchased a replacement airbag and it's on its way to me. From what I can see, the airbag seems to be held in by two clips that are releasable from behind the steering wheel. But it seems that 1 clip was broken by the thief.

So my first question is: Do I have to also replace the steering wheel just for this clip? or can I just do a custom job like a bolt and nut or a zip tie?

The airbag malfunction light is on. I have VAGCOM and I know how to reset that after i complete the job.

My second question is: Because the car has an airbag malfunction detected, when i put the new airbag on, is there a chance that it might end up deploying? I've read somewhere that I should first disconnect negative terminal on the battery, wait 30minutes, put the airbag on, then put the key in and leave on ON position before connecting the negative terminal. Is this process correct? If so, can someone tell me why exactly we need to put the ignition on ON postion before connecting negative terminal again?

Oh and my last question is: Whats the best way to prevent the airbag being stolen again? I'm considering getting a steering lock device. Any particular recommendations?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Steering Wheel Airbag
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 02:50:29 pm »
I can't give you any answers on fitting, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly !

However I'm intrigued to know how they got into your car, didn't the alarm go off? :confused:

TonyZ

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:31:17 pm »
They broke the glass and got in. Alarm did go off but it was in the middle of the night by the time I realised it was mine they were gone. Seems like such a easy process to nick the airbag.

I'm wondering if a steering wheel lock device would help. It should deter them and possibly slow them down aswell I guess

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:38 pm »
I think it depends on:
1. Whether a steering lock will fit (the ones that cover the whole wheel are problematic for some wheels, not sure about the GTI)
2. How desperate they are - it'll slow them down by a few seconds if they really want it.

I'd be worried if they came back so definitely try something.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 05:41:02 pm »
Hi

my first post on here too

In regard to your 1st question
If the retaining lug on the steering wheel is broken then you would need a new steering wheel. Don't try to fix it with any sort of modification.

Yes you should disconnect the battery Negative, no need to wait. when you do reconnect the battery make sure no one is in the car and turn the ignition on from outside the car. After that you should be able to switch the MIL of in the dash

Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:44:42 pm »
welcome to the forum Eddie..bout time you signed up on this forum :signLOL:

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »
welcome to the forum Eddie..bout time you signed up on this forum :signLOL:

Hi Andy

The odd thing is I didn't know about it till Scott (Golfman) sent me the link for it

Ed
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 08:01:01 pm »
Eddie fancy seeing you here!

Just a quick question, do you have a fault logged after fitting the mk6 wheel?

Iv not got the print out handy but im sure it said 'controller incorrectly coded' but it all works fine.

Any ideas?

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:20:34 pm »
Hi
No faults when I fitted my mk6 mfsw
what coding have you used?
also are your stalks the newer versions with more graphics on them?

Ed

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »
why did someone steel an airbag??

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:56:37 pm »
Hi mate,

I used the same coding as you posted on mkvs, apart from the cruise which i dont have.

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 09:06:10 pm »
Hi
so you should have 000502
did you clear the fault to see if it comes back?
are your stalks the newer versions?

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 09:15:51 pm »
Iv not got the newer stalks, did you change yours then?

Cant check the coding at the moment im at work but like i said it was the same as yours but without cc.
Everything works as it should just cant clear the fault.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:48 pm »
hmm, a little off topic but I thought doubling clicking the remote lock function deadlocked the doors making entry into the car very difficut.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 09:34:09 pm »
Iv not got the newer stalks, did you change yours then?

Cant check the coding at the moment im at work but like i said it was the same as yours but without cc.
Everything works as it should just cant clear the fault.

I changed mine, as I bought a new Cruise stalk. I know the old style cruise stalk doesn't work with the mk6 controller. try different coding options to see if you can get rid of the fault.

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth