Make a donation

Author Topic: Bloody rust!  (Read 13764 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Bloody rust!
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:06:10 pm »
Gave the car a good clean today and noticed a 1" paint blister on the front offside wheel arch, presumably from rust! I decided to check the other side and thats not far behind either. There are no stone chips or anything unusual that I can see :surprised:

The cars got less than 55K on the clock and is obviously well maintained and I just can't believe its started to rust. I have to admit that I am seriously starting to loose confidence in this car no. I bought a VW for numerous reasons but reliability and build quality played a big part in the decision. The legendary VW build quality seems a bit of a myth so far and has me thinking that the MK5 just isn't built with longevity in mind. Not like the models of old.

I might well be committing Hari-Kari by saying this but the Mk5 just seems to be a shocking motor for reliability. In two years of VW ownership so much has gone wrong and the rust is just the icing on the cake. I just can't help thinking after reading the various issues that members of this and other forums have had, with me included, that the MK5 Golf is built using poor quality parts with VW using there reputation to sell them at a high price. 

Rant over.

MPS

Re: Bloody rust!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »
5 words pop into my head having read this: Crash damage and poor repair.

Anybody else think the same as me?

Saint Steve

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 07:56:15 pm »
5 words pop into my head having read this: Crash damage and poor repair.

Anybody else think the same as me?
x2

Offline dan_gt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 09:30:51 pm »
Ive got a small rust blister where the drivers door and passenger door meets the roof by the rubber seals. Im having mine fixed under warranty. Might be worth a shot?

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:43:20 pm »
I'm with MPS, sounds like crash damage rusting.

I have had my golf since new and in 100k miles (05 car) the only non service issues have been driveshaft boot, aircon pump and DV, so I am pretty pleased, in my book 100k miles with just the above is a pretty reliable car, I have no issues with build quality, better than my previous car an M3 which cost over double! Has the car been well looked after?If yes can't see why is has been unreliable. I have had five golfs in last ten years, mk5 GT TDI, my current mkV GTI, a MkV Ed 30 (went with my ex :-( ) and two mk IV GTI TDI's all have been v v reliable and all very high build quality, maybe I have just been lucky! Market residuals say not, high residuals = high quality sought after car.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:43:59 am »
I think RR had one of the earliest MK5 GTIs. He's done a billion miles, doesn't really look after the paintwork and yet had no issues with rust (AFAIK).

Hence, I agree with the others - poor repair job.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:46:53 am »
sounds to me like a zinc inclusion....

Get down to your local VW bodyshop, they will measure the paint and if its standard thickness (not been repaired) then they will book you in to have it fixxed no problem at all!

Mk4 glofs are terrible for them on rear quarters and tailgates... my dad managed to get all apart from the bonnet and roof re painted on his mk4 due to finding these! They have to paint to shut lines or panel lines too... not just blow them in  :happy2:

Luke
12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 01:00:49 pm »
So the mk5 had an anti corrosion warranty?

How long was that for?

Mines an 06 '55'

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 01:42:48 pm »
12 year paint and body i think...

That will stand as long as that panel hasnt had an accident repair/ respray  :smiley:

We have an ex vw body shop technician working here so getting the info from him  :innocent:
12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:07:46 pm »
I have the exact same problem, but mine is only on the o/s/f wing. I know the history of my car as my friend owned it before me and i know for sure mines not had any previous damage/repair. So i wouldnt necessarily jump to the conclusion its had crash/repair work done.

Mine like urs has no stone chips etc in the area. I know one thing for sure though it's not going to the VW bodyshop by me they are sh1t..

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 02:10:35 pm »
Im proably talking sh#t but i though/heard/read that the mk5 had a galv body???
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Tara

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • If it doesnt break...your not going hard enough!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 03:01:19 pm »
 :surprised:

I had a mk4 golf for my first car and no problems with that my mums had her mk5 TDI from new and its a 54 plate and not one problem with it! No problems with my GTI either (touch wood)

I had a Mini Cooper before my Mk5 GTI and it is over 10x better in every way than the mini!

Im going with what everyone else has said and expect its a poor repair been done!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 03:31:44 pm »
Here's a thought.....

...have you (or maybe a previous owner) by any chance done the screw-delete mod?

If so when you (or previous owner) tucked the arch liner behind the bracket, and then bent the bracket in, did you perhaps crack the paint?

Some have suggested heating the paint with a hairdryer to stop this occurring  :happy2:

Like I say, just a thought. 

:smiley:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:11:45 pm »
Crash damage was my first thought but on both wheel arches, at exactly the same location? I'm not so sure. Its on the apex of both arches and it just seem to me that the chances of poor repair in two identical yet separate locations is pretty slim.

I've had a look in the arch and the liner appears to be only recessed  a few millimetres from the lip of the arch?

Unfortunately for me I accidentally broke my hand in two places last night so I can't drive anywhere to get it looked at  :sad1:

MPS

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 10:57:10 am »
sounds to me like a zinc inclusion....

Whats one of them? It sounds like a vitamin tablet.  :laugh: