Make a donation

Author Topic: Bloody rust!  (Read 13766 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Bloody rust!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 11:12:57 am »
They use metals like zinc which are more reactive than steel to stop the steel rusting as the zinc gets rusted in preference they do this on ships to save the hulls rather than galvanizing the whole ship, so I guess he is suggesting that in the galvanizing process that an overly large amount of zinc was bonded to those spots on the arches, which have now rusted through.... Shoot me down if thats not what you mean

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:57 am »
sounds to me like a zinc inclusion....

Whats one of them? It sounds like a vitamin tablet.  :laugh:

I just asked JP so i will just put what he sad to me

"when the shell is being made between final welding and galvernising the shell goes through a zinc coating dip to prep the metal, this then gets washed off before going through the galvernising process, Sometimes for whatever reason small parts of the zinc can be left on the car under the galvernising.... over time this can react and start to lift the paint causing a bubble like spot on the paintwork" He said there most common on the bottoms of doors, rear quarters under the door moulding line, and tailgates, but they can be anyware on the car!

12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 07:37:53 pm »
Well, I discovered rust on my offside rear arch a few months ago.

Took it to my nearest dealer (sadly) and eventually VW confirmed it would be repaired under warranty. So I left it in then collected a couple of days later. The finish was crap- runs, thin lacquer, imperfections etc. So it was left back to them reluctantly to give them a second chance. Then when I picked the car up all appeared to be well. However when I got home I noticed the orange peel effect is quite obviously different and there are FAR less metallic flakes (diamond black) than the drivers door.

I wrote a letter to VW and they basically told me my problem is with the dealer, despite it being a VW warranty. So now I'm left with a poor finish and I'm understandably refusing to give the dealer a 3rd attempt.

In short, if there are no stone chips it should be covered, but chose your dealer wisely...

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 09:50:04 pm »
Armed with my new found knowledge i shall speak to the dealer.....just as soon as I can drive.

Offline paul71

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 11:23:08 pm »
Think I got same issue on my car. Paint has flaked from around both front arches exposing bare metal. Also some bubbling which looks like rust coming through.
Took up with local VW dealer who took photos and sent off to VW. Their warranty department came back and said no claim as paintwork warranty only 3 years.
I have since took up with VW Customer Service saying Corrsion should come underanti corrosion warranty not paintwork. Got phone call yesterday to say they will be reporting back soon.
Will update when I get a response
Would certainly get along to VW dealer to report problem and get paintwork check ASAP
Metallic Black 5dr Pirelli Edition 58

Offline rusty mk5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 01:10:33 pm »
Hello All,

My first post....

Just wanted to advise that I've blisters starting on both from wheelarches, the car is  55 plate and hasn't been painted.

It's starting to look like there are a few of us out there with the same issue.

I've spoken to Leeds VW who advised me that it was a paintwork issue and thus out of the (3 yr) paintwork defect warranty. 

Like the other posters who are in this situation I'm surprised and disappointed at finding blistering paint on a car less than 5 years old, particularly from a brand that markets itself upon its durability!!!

Has anyone had any success at having their car repaired in this situation? and if so how did they go about gettingthe repairs authorised?

Thanks & Best regards,

Rusty

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »
Hello All,

My first post....

Just wanted to advise that I've blisters starting on both from wheelarches, the car is  55 plate and hasn't been painted.

It's starting to look like there are a few of us out there with the same issue.

I've spoken to Leeds VW who advised me that it was a paintwork issue and thus out of the (3 yr) paintwork defect warranty. 

Like the other posters who are in this situation I'm surprised and disappointed at finding blistering paint on a car less than 5 years old, particularly from a brand that markets itself upon its durability!!!

Has anyone had any success at having their car repaired in this situation? and if so how did they go about gettingthe repairs authorised?

Thanks & Best regards,

Rusty

As the post above yours, the point here is that its not a paint defect, its a corossion issue which is dealt with under a different time-frame and warranty.  And if dealer wont help try another or go to customer services.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline paul71

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 09:08:36 pm »
Got a reply from VW Customer Service. They say Warranty Department word is final on these matters!

However have offered, as a goodwill gesture, to meet 50% of the cost of repair and repainting both front wings.

Not yet got back in touch with main dealer about the cost
Metallic Black 5dr Pirelli Edition 58

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »
Hmm, well if this is an issue affecting a few of you and VW are wiping their hands, why not collectiveky get together for a drive protest to their HQ. I'm sure Auto Express and other mototing journals would love to join you with a camera for a worthwhile story. I'm sure collectively you would get somewhere.

Look what happened to Toyota when they swept issues under the carpet!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 12:29:30 am »
Hmm, well if this is an issue affecting a few of you and VW are wiping their hands, why not collectiveky get together for a drive protest to their HQ. I'm sure Auto Express and other mototing journals would love to join you with a camera for a worthwhile story. I'm sure collectively you would get somewhere.

Top idea! I'm not sure we'd have enough to make it worth while though. Where is there HQ out of interest?

Offline jbc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 04:41:10 pm »
You should all contact BBC Watchdog, they love those type of stories where the car manufacturers don't want to pay out under warranty. Surprisingly they soon change their minds when Ann gives them a ring!!
2012 Mk6 GTD. Tornado Red. TPMS, RNS510 and reverse camera retrofit.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 08:04:37 pm »

Top idea! I'm not sure we'd have enough to make it worth while though. Where is there HQ out of interest?

Milton Keynes for Volkswagen UK.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline sixpot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 08:46:02 pm »
sounds to me like a zinc inclusion....

Whats one of them? It sounds like a vitamin tablet.  :laugh:

I just asked JP so i will just put what he sad to me

"when the shell is being made between final welding and galvernising the shell goes through a zinc coating dip to prep the metal, this then gets washed off before going through the galvernising process, Sometimes for whatever reason small parts of the zinc can be left on the car under the galvernising.... over time this can react and start to lift the paint causing a bubble like spot on the paintwork" He said there most common on the bottoms of doors, rear quarters under the door moulding line, and tailgates, but they can be anyware on the car!

I work in a bodyshop in a car plant, and as far as I know the sheet steel which is pressed out to make the panels and structures of the car, is already treated with a zinc (or aluminium alloy ) coating. There would be no reason to pre-dip a car in zinc coating, and then going and removing it!
When metal is galvanised it is done so in a zinc bath , and is normally known as hot-dip galvanising.

Offline Jonboy72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 04:36:30 pm »
Isn't the ex Skoda boss the boss of VW now?

If so, his e-mail is chris.craft@volkswagen.co.uk

In the past i have heard you get very good results from e-mailing the head honcho direct and usually his PA gets things moving very quickly

AS long as he has not moved on in the last few months he would be the man to contact

J

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 05:34:18 pm »
Isn't the ex Skoda boss the boss of VW now?

If so, his e-mail is chris.craft@volkswagen.co.uk

In the past i have heard you get very good results from e-mailing the head honcho direct and usually his PA gets things moving very quickly

AS long as he has not moved on in the last few months he would be the man to contact

J
:happy2: