Make a donation

Author Topic: Virgin internet  (Read 2674 times)

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
Virgin internet
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:19:05 pm »
Is any one else having any issues with Virgin braodband at the minute?  I have the HD box and every so often the internet light will start flashing and my internet goes down???

It is also running very slow and crashes sometimes, after restarting it will be quite fast again for a few minutes but then back to how it was?

I do need to ring Virgin regard the services but thats another story.

Cheers

Darren

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
Re: Virgin internet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:23:30 pm »
Mate you are a freak i have just ordered virgin broadband,now you are making me think about cancelling!!!!

scott :fighting2:

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »
Mines been consistently brilliant for the last six months. Don't worry golfman

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 09:29:47 pm »
It can be up and down in some areas, my mate has had them out 6times and its still not resolved but my mum has had zero issues for past 10years

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:39:17 pm »
I've had this broadband for the last 4 years and never had a problem it just seems like in the last 3-4 days???? Don't let me put you off Scott its a brilliant service and fast but its probably just a local area problem.

Darren

Ifti

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:21:44 pm »
Been using Virgin media for the past 5 years and the connection is pretty much the best around IMO.
Ive had the odd issue with losing service - but its happened literally 3-4 times over the past 5 years - and its always been an issue their end which is updated on their service status page, and sorted pretty quickly.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:57:56 am »
I thinking of getting rid of them. Not for service but for cost. I'm on the M package and in reality get only 6mbps and I pay something like £20.50 per month plus telephone calls it comes in circa £40!!

When I add in my sky hd sub. It's like a car loan ! :sick:

Pretty sure I should bin them and go completely to sky but I physically don't have a bt line into my house. .... It's coiled up in the garden....

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:30:11 am »
Virgin for 10 years, 5+ in the latest house and no real problems.  Has gone down a couple of time but thats late night - say 12-1am but its comes back up pretty quick - within 30mins or so.  Probably done it say 10 times in the last 2 years which is good going.

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:42:43 am »
Is any one else having any issues with Virgin braodband at the minute?  I have the HD box and every so often the internet light will start flashing and my internet goes down???

It is also running very slow and crashes sometimes, after restarting it will be quite fast again for a few minutes but then back to how it was?

I do need to ring Virgin regard the services but thats another story.

Cheers

Darren

Your losing the return path that the HD and modem are locking into, you can phone a fault in or if you can access your modem when its online next check you ups powerlevel as if its to high you will drop out or the return path in the area you are in is to low.

Ifti

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 05:00:12 pm »
I thinking of getting rid of them. Not for service but for cost. I'm on the M package and in reality get only 6mbps and I pay something like £20.50 per month plus telephone calls it comes in circa £40!!

When I add in my sky hd sub. It's like a car loan ! :sick:

Pretty sure I should bin them and go completely to sky but I physically don't have a bt line into my house. .... It's coiled up in the garden....

Totally agree. I also do not have a BT line coming into the house - was quoted £180 for a line!!!

Thats £180 just to be a paying customer! They can F off!!
They should be doing it for free since they gain another customer from it! Paying £180 to get set up with BT completely defeats the purpose of me moving in the first place. With the amount I would save going onto a BT/Sky tariff, it would take a couple of years to reclaim that £180 before it actually starts saving me anything!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:01:53 pm by Ifti »

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
Darren, I've just left Virgin for this exact reason. Every day the internet goes down and I have to reset the modem. Virgin claim there is nothing wrong despite us having the problem for over 2 years.

I've just had Sky broadband put in instead. The sky BB is only 3.5Mb as opposed to the 7Mb I was getting with Virgin but at least it works!!

In the end I was paying less than a quarter of the price with Virgin as due to the number of complaints I made they kept dropping my bill. They offered me a stupidly low price to stop leaving this time, but I'd had enough. I wouldn't take they're service back for free. I now have full Sky TV, phone and Broadband for less than I was paying at Virgin and I don't have any more trouble  :happy2:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 05:04:05 pm »
Totally agree. I also do not have a BT line coming into the house - was quoted £180 for a line!!!
Sky got BT to fit me a new line for £10  :happy2:
That included all the new cable to the pole and up the whole street. The BT guy was at my place for a whole afternoon last week  :jumpmove:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 05:46:46 pm »
If you stay on new site(brand new housing) as there was no previous plant BT charge you for the new line, trust when i say it costs a lot more BT will be paying the builder £85-90 a house to be serviced and £60-65 a flat plus add on all the offsite cabling exch work it all adds up, but if you move into previously serviced house or flat then it should be a recon fee @ £9.99 or sometimes free so if you have a cable lying coiled up in your garden then you should just be a simple recon fee to rejoin BT. I remember some bad areas being charged £335 for connection. Everyone in some way or form still pays BT its a win win for them and even better now they have to open up their pole network and ducting.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:33:55 pm »
BT actually have an offer on at the moment where a new line is currently only £30 instead of £127.99 or something like that.
When living at my parents I'd had Virgin (NTL and Telecential before they got it) and never had a single problem in 10+ years, moved to my own flat 7 months ago and made sure i got Virgin for my broadband because it had been so good - the proper cable one, not adsl and have had nothing but problems since and when we move again in a few weeks time i'm cancelling the contract and going with someone else as im not getting what i pay for anymore.
When it does work it seems to work well and i always get my 10mb speed however its just not happening where i am now and i only moved 3 miles from my parents to the opposite side of town!

Gonna try Sky Broadband when i move altho i'd heard bad things about them in the past but my brother has them and is living in the same building i'm going to be in and says its been top notch, no problems and good speeds, plus will save me money as we're with Sky for TV

This is what it says at the bottom of the new lines page here....

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25497

A connection charge may apply for new lines (£29.99 for calls only – reduced from £127.99, FREE for Broadband and Calls packages)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:37:26 pm by S2 Ant »
Ant

Saint Steve

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 07:17:09 pm »
SKY do not charge for arranging your phone line period. Sky pick up the tab whatever the cost is to BT.

On the whole, sky has a better Rep for Broadband, came top this year.Though may not be the quickest in some area's.

We are about to start the Fibre optic service, but gutted to hear that it wont be Fibre optic to the doorstep as 1st planned, but matching what Virgin currently offer.

So speeds wont be as high as 1st predicted, using Coax is crap for ultra high speed, 3D launch is taking some of the budget, with the launch of our Standard HD Set top box (non PVR) coming this christmas aswell.

Anytime + is due out shortly aswell to all subscribers. Currently on Test on Staff accounts.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:19:56 pm by Saint Steve »