Make a donation

Author Topic: Fitted auto-boot opener & MK6 badge today  (Read 14597 times)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Fitted auto-boot opener & MK6 badge today
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:12:35 pm »
Hey folks, I know the the thread is worthless without pics but I ran out of time as the car was too dirty and I couldn't wash it before it got dark :(

Today I fitted a MK6 rear badge, along with the auto-boot pop which was the Fabia gas struts, Scirocco 'bumpers' & Leon ball joints.
Oh and replaced the center caps with the new 'non-whiteworm' ones! :)

Very easy job to do for all those who are thinking about doing it.

Unfortunately... There was a downer... I had ordered a brand new rear wiper motor (ideal to change when doing the boot badge) but VW sent me the wrong one... Don't ask how, as I am still wondering that myself, it looked similar, but the mounting points were different!
So very frustrating I had to put the plastic cover back on the boot only to have to take it off again next week or so to fit a replacement motor.

Fitting the boot pop i've pulled the stoppers out two clicks (or it might be 3) as it wouldn't push out enough to open the hatch lid otherwise, but seems all good!

Well worth it if anyone is interested!  :happy2:

Offline danr320c

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Fitted auto-boot opener & MK6 badge today
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:34 am »
I need pics please!  :P

Not really interested in fitting the auto pop boot, however how much where the bits all in?

How do you adjust the rear boot closing gap? As my rear seems to stand a little proud and is not flush with the rear lights.
As far as i can tell its not the boot stopping on the bump stops ...... so is it the latch i need to adjust? and if so how please.

Cheers for any ideas...

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:21:10 pm »
 :worthless:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline Tara

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • If it doesnt break...your not going hard enough!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 12:42:04 pm »
 :worthless:

:signLOL:

Offline .:GTI|SUNNY:.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
  • I spend too much time on this forum, I'm addicted
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »
how much was the mk6 badge? and you have part number for it? was it easy to fit?

pic of this would be great  :happy2:
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:24:05 pm »
how much was the mk6 badge? and you have part number for it? was it easy to fit?

pic of this would be great  :happy2:

Same questions please

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:00:22 pm »
You should do a full write up with part numbers as a guide for others that want to do this mod.  :happy2:

Nice work  :drinking:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:08:51 pm »
Hey folks, ok well I didn’t take any pictures during fitting but it’s easy enough to explain what to do.
The part numbers you need are;

6Y0 827 550 C  –  GAS STRUT (Gas struts strong ones to give lift on boot pop) £16.36 each.
1J6 827 439 A – BALL PIN (To replace the old ball pin (that the strut clips on to) £4.28 each.
1K8 827 761 C – BUFFER (the rubber bump stop things!) £3.57 each.
I don’t have the MK6 Badge part number, I bought mine second hand off eBay but have heard they are about £90 ish new from a VW dealer.
To replace the boot badge;
Open the boot, underneath you will see 2 handle areas either side of the boot edge, see photo of one side;

Undo the Philips screw under each one, there is only one screw per side.
Gently pry away (easiest to do from the rear – so the furthest part up when the boot is up) the plastic trim, this pops off as it is clipped in, they can be a bit of a pain, but just be patient and do it slowly and it will eventually pop off all round and come off.
You will probably lose a few retaining clips but don’t worry, fitting is the reverse of this, just take your time with it.
Once that is off, you will see 3 Torque screws holding the rear badge in place, you will not be able to get to one of the screws, as the rear wiper motor is in the way, all you do, is simply unscrew the 3 screws holding that in place, and slightly move it out of the way, allowing you to get to the 3rd boot badge screw.
Once undone, turn the badge out of it’s ‘lock’ position (you will see when it’s in front of you, very simple) – undo the electrical connector and then take out old badge, and replace with the new badge, turn that into it’s ‘lock’ position so the plastic clips are against the existing boot clip to hold it in place.
That part sounds hard, believe me, it is incredibly simple.
The wire will not stretch, so you will need to get a pair of scissors and just cut some of the tape and undo one of the clips holding the wires in, to give yourself some decent slack to allow the connector to go back on to the MK6 badge.
Do NOT leave it so it is stretched, allow a bit of flex in the cable, it is easy to do this, just undo tape/clips as necessary.

Check the boot to make sure you’ve put the badge the right way around, and then just screw everything back in using the existing screws, nice and easy.

To fit the ‘boot pop’ parts. (2nd person needed ideally to hold the bootlid when undoing the struts).
Use this guide;
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edoc/MK5RearHatchPop.pdf

With regards to how to adjust the boot gap, mine isn’t flush either, I think it’s always been like that, these ones are adjustable, you put an allen key in the hole and undo it, you can then pull out / push in to adjust the gap, but too far in, the boot won’t pop fully up, too far out, you’ll damage the hatch eventually with too much pressure on the lid.
I have done mine with 2 marks out on the bump stops (you’ll see what I mean when you fit them).
It doesn’t pop up fully ALL the time, but most of the time it does, and will probably get better when the struts loosen up a bit, the boot is also stiffer to close but that’s fine.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:16:34 pm by SeanyK »

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 07:09:38 pm »
| Tornado Red GTI |

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:30:12 pm »
am i right in thinking this is all i need to do a mk6 badge conversion?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Rear-Badge-chrome-Golf-6-VI-NEW-Genuine-/220682564790?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3361b4b4b6
also can the conversion be done without taking the whole boot lock out?
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:40:03 pm »
Hi mate, no that's not the correct part, you will need the actual whole mechanism itself (basically the badge doubles as the handle, so it's all one big unit itself.

You will need to find one second hand on eBay or from the dealers new around £90, or ask around a few scrappies, any MK6 Golf badge works.

That link you said was just a replacement badge to stick on if you already had the MK6 mechanism in place.

Trust me, it's a very very easy job to do.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 06:06:19 pm »
Hi mate, no that's not the correct part, you will need the actual whole mechanism itself (basically the badge doubles as the handle, so it's all one big unit itself.

You will need to find one second hand on eBay or from the dealers new around £90, or ask around a few scrappies, any MK6 Golf badge works.

That link you said was just a replacement badge to stick on if you already had the MK6 mechanism in place.

Trust me, it's a very very easy job to do.
Thanks for the reply  :happy2:

I'm going VW tomorrow so will order that whole mechanism, they quoted me £82.34 2weeks ago so i guess i'll have to pay it, as i want a mint condition one and not a used condition.

Cheers  :happy2:
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 10:00:56 pm »
Understandable mate, I paid £24 for mine, but of course being 2nd hand it wasn't perfect, had a few scratches, i'll see if I can polish those out though but if you can afford it, then definately brand new badge!

Use this thread to help you fit it, it all becomes a lot clearer when you have the inner boot plastic off, take your time and it'll be done within an hour :)

Sean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 02:28:11 pm »
Understandable mate, I paid £24 for mine, but of course being 2nd hand it wasn't perfect, had a few scratches, i'll see if I can polish those out though but if you can afford it, then definately brand new badge!

Use this thread to help you fit it, it all becomes a lot clearer when you have the inner boot plastic off, take your time and it'll be done within an hour :)

Sean
i've just come back from VW and have ordered the mechanism, cost me £79.28 + 17.5% VAT = £93.15  :ashamed:

If anyone wants the part number it is:

MK6 Rear Boot Handle Mechanism

Part # 6R0 827 469 UL M

:happy2:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:07:21 pm by .:GTI|SUNNY:. »
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline Brooko19

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 02:52:29 pm »
Just wondering what the difference is between mk5 boot handle badge and mk6?

Thanks