Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering Wheel Airbag  (Read 5980 times)

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Steering Wheel Airbag
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 09:54:58 pm »
I never bothered with the cruise in the end, i dont drive it enough!

Ill have a play about with the coding and see what happens, but from memory i dont think there was any other options from what iv got.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 09:20:05 am »
In regard to your 1st question
If the retaining lug on the steering wheel is broken then you would need a new steering wheel. Don't try to fix it with any sort of modification.

Yes you should disconnect the battery Negative, no need to wait. when you do reconnect the battery make sure no one is in the car and turn the ignition on from outside the car. After that you should be able to switch the MIL of in the dash

Eddie, thanks for your reply. can you tell me what the retaining lug looks like? Only thing I can see on the steering wheel is a big torx style screw that holds the steering wheel on and two plastic clips, one on the left and one on the right. One of these clips are broken.

And in regards to reconnecting the battery after disconnecting, I should only turn the ignition from outside the car after i've connected the battery back? not before i reconnect the battery?

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 09:40:29 am »
Reconnect the battery go round and turn ignition on. Either and anyway won't deploy the air bag (from my experience)

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »
Hi
look half down the page of this link and you will see the lug is circled in yellow

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/paddle-shifter-steering-wheel-swap.htm

Ed
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 09:35:59 am »
Hi
look half down the page of this link and you will see the lug is circled in yellow

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/paddle-shifter-steering-wheel-swap.htm

Ed

Thanks Ed,  :smiley:

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 03:42:21 pm »
Ed, thanks for your help.

I've got the tabs to install the airbag. I'm trying to install the airbag but don't know which way to feed the small wire. The big wire goes trough the hole into it's socke. And spins with the steering wheel. But where does the small black 5 pin connector go? There looks like a connector on the left of the steering wheel but I'm not sure if the wire is long enough to get there or how to feed the wire to that place

Any help would be great thanks

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 06:09:20 pm »
I just installed the airbag and can't seem to find where the second small black colour connector connects to. So I just connected the yellow part of the harness and plugged in the car. Only problem now is that the horn doesn't seem to work.

So now I am assuming that the small black connector is the horn or something, but I'm having trouble finding where I should connect it to

Any help please?

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 06:18:11 pm »
I just installed the airbag and can't seem to find where the second small black colour connector connects to. So I just connected the yellow part of the harness and plugged in the car. Only problem now is that the horn doesn't seem to work.

So now I am assuming that the small black connector is the horn or something, but I'm having trouble finding where I should connect it to

Any help please?

Hi
by the sounds off it the loom which you have is for a MFSW. I take it your steering wheel is just a standard one with no buttons.

Ed
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 06:24:54 pm »
Yes my steering wheel is normal without buttons? That's what I thought maybe it's for the buttons so that's why I left out the black connector but the horn ain't working

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 08:48:16 pm »
I've managed to reset airbag light via VAGCOM.

Ed, I definitely think you are correct. The wiring harness I seem to have on the airbag is for the MFSW but my steering wheel is not a MFSW. I need to figure out how to get the horn to work. I've read somewhere that it's possible to make some changes with VAGCOM to get the car to accept the harness.

Any ideas anyone? Or do I have to change the wiring harness? If so, does anyone have the part number for the wiring harness without the MFSW?

Thanks

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 10:41:37 pm »
I've managed to reset airbag light via VAGCOM.

Ed, I definitely think you are correct. The wiring harness I seem to have on the airbag is for the MFSW but my steering wheel is not a MFSW. I need to figure out how to get the horn to work. I've read somewhere that it's possible to make some changes with VAGCOM to get the car to accept the harness.

Any ideas anyone? Or do I have to change the wiring harness? If so, does anyone have the part number for the wiring harness without the MFSW?

Thanks

Hi
i don't think you can make changes to make the horn work on the harness you have.  I wouldn't risk trying to modify the wiring as it could prove expensive if you get it wrong. I may have a spare loom which I could send you in exchange if you want.

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 10:50:14 pm »
i don't think you can make changes to make the horn work on the harness you have.  I wouldn't risk trying to modify the wiring as it could prove expensive if you get it wrong. I may have a spare loom which I could send you in exchange if you want.

Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to accept your offer for exchanging the looms. so the loom you have will work on a standard 3 spoke steering wheel? Do i simply just remove the loom that is currently connected to the airbag and then install this loom? I cannot seem to send pm's so how do we go about exchanging?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 10:54:46 pm »
One more post and you can PM  :drinking:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline john84

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 10:56:18 pm »
One more post and you can PM  :drinking:

Really? so this should work :)

Offline john84

• Just Arrived