Make a donation

Author Topic: Lock all Posts in the For Sale Section?  (Read 3829 times)

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Lock all Posts in the For Sale Section?
« on: October 15, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »
Personally, I'm getting pretty irritated by people posting worthless comments/personal opinions on the "for sale" threads.  Despite Top Cat's posting on the white R32 thread, Golfgirl's perfectly reasonable tyre post is possibly in danger of going the same way. 

On another forum I go on, the "for sale" area is locked and no-one is able to post comments.  I know an individual can lock their own "for sale" thread on this board, but such threads disappear down the page pretty quickly because of people posting discussion on the unlocked threads.  So what do people think about all "for sale" posts being locked automatically, thereby preventing any discussion? 

Am I the only one irritated, or am I just being a grumpy old man. :signLOL:

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Lock all Posts in the For Sale Section?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:43:21 pm »
It is a rule not to post in a thread.

If they locked threads how would you bump your thread above the completed sales?

Its an annoyance on most forums i visit but its upto the OP or a MOD to prevent off topic discussion.

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:57:53 pm »

Its an annoyance on most forums i visit but its upto the OP or a MOD to prevent off topic discussion.

The OP has no control over people replying! Only a mod can delete replies, not the OP.

It is a rule not to post in a thread.

Where does it say that?  I can't see it in the For sale section rules.  And if it is a rule then it needs to be monitored a bit more closely than it is now.

Personally, I'm getting pretty irritated by people posting worthless comments/personal opinions on the "for sale" threads.  Despite Top Cat's posting on the white R32 thread, Golfgirl's perfectly reasonable tyre post is possibly in danger of going the same way.

Thanks for your support :happy2:.  I probably won't bother offering anything in future and will just take it straight to the tip then laugh at the people who post up at a later date asking for whatever I'd thrown out. :happy2:  I shouldn't have to justify why I'm offering something.  If someone wants it, they can have it.  If they don't then they can just move on to the next for sale ad :smiley:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:10:03 pm by Golfgirl »

FOR SALE!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 04:03:27 pm »

The OP has no control over people replying! Only a mod can delete replies, not the OP.

yes but the OP can create a thread to discuss the sale in the random chat area, or lock their own thread, or tell people not to reply or they will just lock their thread.

The thread rarely becomes so out of control a MOD should get involved

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 04:07:36 pm »
I don't agree with the second thread idea TBH.  It will make the forum cluttered and two threads on the same thing is unnecessary IMO.

As for the OP locking the thread, well that's no different to it being locked automatically?! :confused:

FOR SALE!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 04:11:40 pm »
I don't agree with the second thread idea TBH.  It will make the forum cluttered and two threads on the same thing is unnecessary IMO.

As for the OP locking the thread, well that's no different to it being locked automatically?! :confused:

if all threads were lock automatically it stops any questions being posted that could be helpful towards the sale, it stops the post being bumped above items sold.

The forum is for discussion so if someone ones to discuss (i will take your thread as an example) what to do with part worn tyres then a link to the random chat in your forsale post would save the thread getting cluttered.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 04:37:55 pm »
I've seen For Sale threads that lack vital information. By posting, you can help clarify the post. Others need more information.

I admit that silly replies don't help the thread but at the very least they bump it back to the top.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:11:43 pm »
Opinions are like R soles, everyone has one and mine is that a comment about a car being overpriced is just as valid as a comment saying the other comment shouldn't be allowed.

I'm a member of dozens of car forums and see this all the time. The fact is that this is a public forum where people can voice their opinions if they so desire and getting wound up by something someone posts serves no purpose other than raising your blood pressure!

h4rdy

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 08:09:55 pm »
A good friend of mine is an EVO man and believe me some of the comments on there are borderline scary.

He was selling a Carbon Slam Panel, it got to the point where they were talking about his wife, kids etc etc.

He, like golfgirl said, took it to the tip.

All because he wouldn't sell it for what they wanted it for.

My point, its not that bad on here, free bumps and if people want to say GLWS, meaning IMO its to expensive ignore them.

Over and out,

J

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:11:01 pm »
Yawwwwwwwnnnnn :indifferent:

There's a perfectly simple way to avoid replies to For Sale threads. Only read the first post! See if you can find a life for sale while you're at it.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 02:01:05 pm »
or if the OP wants it locked the he/she can lock it themselves.  :rolleye:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3epeut41uhq9b5v9qfbh9iudjl&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 02:36:10 pm »
or if the OP wants it locked the he/she can lock it themselves.  :rolleye:

This!  :happy2:

Ifti

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 06:19:14 pm »
How about a new section for all closed sale threads - An archive section.

The other forum I go on works like this:

1. You can only create 1 for sale/wanted thread in each section at any one time.
2. Once the item has sold, or you remove it from sale etc, you have to archive the thread (there is an option to archive alongside close thread etc).
3. This locks and archives the thread together, moving it to the archived section and free'ing you up to create a new sale thread in that section again.

The above ensures that all for sals threads are current and available, since if they were not they would be in a separate archive section.

If we decided to lock all for sale threads here so no-one could post, any interested parties would have to ask all questions (questions that others may also be thinking of) via PM. This means you may be answering the same continually. Although sometimes people can mess up your sale thread, most of the time members may ask questions that clarify aspects of the item etc, and are therefore useful for others to see, and may actually help sell the item.
Hence, personally I think they should be left open, and you simply report any posts that are irrelevant so a mod can remove them for you.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 04:20:37 pm »
How about a new section for all closed sale threads - An archive section.

The other forum I go on works like this:

1. You can only create 1 for sale/wanted thread in each section at any one time.
2. Once the item has sold, or you remove it from sale etc, you have to archive the thread (there is an option to archive alongside close thread etc).
3. This locks and archives the thread together, moving it to the archived section and free'ing you up to create a new sale thread in that section again.

The above ensures that all for sals threads are current and available, since if they were not they would be in a separate archive section.

If we decided to lock all for sale threads here so no-one could post, any interested parties would have to ask all questions (questions that others may also be thinking of) via PM. This means you may be answering the same continually. Although sometimes people can mess up your sale thread, most of the time members may ask questions that clarify aspects of the item etc, and are therefore useful for others to see, and may actually help sell the item.
Hence, personally I think they should be left open, and you simply report any posts that are irrelevant so a mod can remove them for you.

This is what happens on another forum I’m a member of.

Gets my vote :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »
Its a strange subject ,Why do members feel the need to comment on something they aren't interested in buying. If you haven't anything nice to say why say nothing is the way I was brought up.I noticed today our very own TC has posted some lovely seats for sale and locked it from the start maybe this is the way to go .

just my opinion and that isn't worth much