Make a donation

Author Topic: Another fault.....nah, surely it can't be?  (Read 943 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Another fault.....nah, surely it can't be?
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:23:23 pm »
Well in keeping with my currently unreliable, rusting 5 year old Gti jalopy I appear to have a wheel bearing going on me. I can hear the usual pulsating whine/rumble of a bearing but it is impossible to narrow it down to which wheel? The two front tires are badly worn and on other cars I have owned this has caused a similar noise.

So. My questions are:

1. Has anyone had this done recently that could give me rough idea on repairing this?

2. Is there a reliable and realistic way to identify which bearing is going?

3. Has anyone ever suffered from a similar noise that wasn't the bearing? eg tires etc.

As usual, any ideas are welcome. Cheers.

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Another fault.....nah, surely it can't be?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:30:59 pm »
You can usually tell which wheel bearing is on the way out by parking the car up with the wheels straight. Go round each wheel and hold it about 10 to 2 and try pushing and pulling the wheel. You should be able to feel the wheel with the dodgy bearing as it will have some play in the movement. All the others should be rock solid.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: Another fault.....nah, surely it can't be?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »
Hi Bud, just boughtsome for some S3 hubs I have, the S3 ones were £80 so GTI ones would be less I expect. Just four splined bolts holding them in, should be straightforward but with your luck you'll end up needing a new gearbox