Make a donation

Author Topic: Rolling Road RESULTS @ JKM - Oct 16th 2010....  (Read 23180 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Rolling Road RESULTS @ JKM - Oct 16th 2010....
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 11:41:30 am »

My Stage 1 ED30 made 296.8bhp on RS Tunings DD's,  so....... should I get the same/very similar figure then at JKM (which I'm 270 miles away from) ?

....Theoretically I'd say yes. But of course there are many variable factors dependent both on the day and your car on the day. That's the trouble every time we folks have a rolling-road results discussion - There are just so many variables but it's natural to focus on our bhp numbers (we're blokes - we like our willy's!). I'll go to other r-r sessions but more for the social. I go to the same r-r (JKM) to monitor relative differences and for a health check as well as the social. Plus JKM know my individual car and I tend to trust their judgements.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:47:00 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 11:45:41 am »
I think a trip to motorscopes rolling road  pays dividends, at least you can walk away with a smile on your face  :laugh:

why do they give away free horsepower in doggy bags do they???  someone on here with a cupra, left a previous RR day(Think it was surreys DD rollers) and went straight to another set of rollers to get new figures which were nearer to his willy waiving claims :grin: :grin:

if your car makes good figures on a DD roller, you know that your car is running well.  as it happens every DD roller that i have been on makes pretty much identical figures to what i make on JKMs

My Stage 1 ED30 made 296.8bhp on RS Tunings DD's,  so....... should I get the same/very similar figure then at JKM (which I'm 270 miles away from) ?

]

Exactly.. I'm not just comparing JKM with just any other dyno, i'm also reffering to other DD rollers, which are giving sigificantly different results to what JKM's do..
Also, if a stock car makes stock results and a mapped car makes x/y/z figures on JKM's rollers, then how come at Motorscope for instance when stock cars were making stock figures (which a lot did) the mapped figures on a KO4 car were a lot higher?
I too do prefer DD rollers and have been making between 340-355bhp on them. But going off JKM's results, I doubt I would make 310bhp TBH...  :ashamed: :surprised:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:47:33 am by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 11:46:09 am »
Willy waving is what RR days are all about + the chat and to talk shop and review mods and see if you car is running okay etc etc etc :laugh:

Dyno Dynamics rollers in shootout mode should be on standard settings and this is what gives them the great consistency that everyone raves/moans about. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 11:46:13 am »
if you want free hosepower you get them to loosen the dyno straps so it can ride up the rollers.

ed30

k04 vRS

thats where most of the variable come from

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 11:50:03 am »
^^^^^^

That's why I lost around 3% power on my last ever dyno run with the ED30 as the car was strapped down soooooo tightly even the operator said I'd lose the power, but they had to jigstrap it down so it didn't run off the rollers when I had the nitrous on :chicken:
Golf R gone.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2010, 11:50:33 am »
I was waiting for this one to come up..  :signLOL: This can obviously make a difference, but I have spoke to 3 other DD roller operators that say the complete opposite to what JKM do.. So who's right?  :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2010, 11:50:54 am »

if you want free hosepower you get them to loosen the dyno straps so it can ride up the rollers.

thats where most of the variable come from

....Further influenced by variables such as tyre conditions (temp/pressure etc). Ask Saint Steve! (IIRC).

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2010, 11:52:30 am »
Basically, only look at rollers on the same day to compare cars and ensure that they are all strapped down in the same way for consistency :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2010, 11:54:23 am »

Willy waving is what RR days are all about + the chat and to talk shop and review mods and see if you car is running okay etc etc etc :laugh:

....For me too, all those things are what r-r days are about but in a different order of importance - i.e. willy waving is last not first (unless there are hot girlies around  :evilgrin:).

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2010, 11:57:04 am »
I was waiting for this one to come up..  :signLOL: This can obviously make a difference, but I have spoke to 3 other DD roller operators that say the complete opposite to what JKM do.. So who's right?  :confused:
Yours must have been to tight and mine too slack then ron   :congrats:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2010, 11:59:54 am »
Yours must have been to tight and mine too slack then ron   :congrats:

Think mine got a bit heat soaked mate (open filter on mine, well was) as it was showing ITs of 48oC when it came off...  :confused: :surprised: I've been doing some tests on mine this morning with the open filter compared with the closed dbilas filter and when pulled up, the open filter was reading 15oC higher than the closed unit  :surprised: On the road the open cone was spot on (as it was getting the air) but when pulled up/not moving it was sucking in to much hot air I think as it's not positioned near the headlight like for instance a ITG ( which also has protection from the hot air) mine was positioned right next to the car's air intake (ie a lot closer to the heat of the engine)..
Having said all that, it might make bog all difference. I'm just going off logs to be fair..  :grin:

You coming to Pod next week mate? Could compare them there?  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:16:48 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »
I was goin to have a dodge down, but after discovering it was a 4hr drive just to get there, and known my luck it would probably pour down with rain when I got there!  :sad1:
Think I might do one at York next year as it's not as far  :happy2:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2010, 02:13:21 pm »
@ saint steve

The book says 265 ps (261 bhp) @ 6000 rpm
Torque is 258 lb ft @ 2500 rpm

Mine was 267 bhp @ 6500 rpm and 270 lb ft at 3500 rpm.

Looking at the graph, at 6000 rpm it has 260 bhp and at 2500 rpm 180 lb ft torque lol

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2010, 03:26:22 pm »
@janner_sy

Who wants free horsepower ? ...... not me.  I want to know what the car has got, how it puts it down and that it is an accurate measurement that can be replicated on other DD Dynos.   I've seen those graphs from JKM's site before anyway.     
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 04:17:01 pm »
I was waving my willy this morning, but the wife told me to put it away and go and get the kettle on.  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI