Make a donation

Author Topic: Rolling Road RESULTS @ JKM - Oct 16th 2010....  (Read 23181 times)

Offline Robert74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Rolling Road RESULTS @ JKM - Oct 16th 2010....
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2010, 04:21:49 pm »

I think a trip to motorscopes rolling road  pays dividends, at least you can walk away with a smile on your face  :laugh:

....If your point is that going on JKM's DD rollers doesn't pay dividends and you don't walk away smiling, you ought to think again. As has been said countless times and is appreciated by most drivers, it's all about driveability and the plotted curves - Not all about willy waving the highest bhp numbers. It's all relative and a rolling-road session is an opportunity to health-check your car. Several folks were very glad that JKM were able to identify and solve minor problems on their cars and will have driven away smiling.

I agree with Robin it is how the drives more than the RR figures but I think its bad that they can vary so much.

On AMD's RR  in June 2010 at a Seat RR day my car at stage 1 with panel filter it was 257 bhp and 274 lb/ft of torque @ 3200 rpm. Others from this forum were there and their results were roughly what they were expecting.

In August 2010 at stage 2 with TBE exhaust and panel filter my car was 272 bhp and 302 lb/ft of torque @ 3900 rpm.

At JKM on Saturday it was back down to 252 bhp and 270 lb/ft of torque.

Does my car have a problem which is why the power is down? It has been away having some bodywork repairs or is it that the AMD results at stage 2 are totally unrealistic?

I am very confused. Could AMD massage their results to suit that much? The car felt so much better after stage 2 that I cannot believe there was not a good power increase.

I have no problem with the quality of the maps but the results don't add up. :confused:
2006 GTI 5 door DSG

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2010, 04:50:16 pm »
A few of you know I came all the way down from Brum for this meet. The main reason was the opportunity to compare the car before and after stage 1.

I've run at JKM twice before - first time was 232bhp, the second was 224bhp (remember me ranting and raving about the missing 8bhp?  :grin:). Hence the comparison is more meaningful.

Anyway, after a few runs on B5T6F9, I got 275bhp.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2010, 05:18:14 pm »
I agree with Robin it is how the drives more than the RR figures but I think its bad that they can vary so much.

On AMD's RR  in June 2010 at a Seat RR day my car at stage 1 with panel filter it was 257 bhp and 274 lb/ft of torque @ 3200 rpm. Others from this forum were there and their results were roughly what they were expecting.

In August 2010 at stage 2 with TBE exhaust and panel filter my car was 272 bhp and 302 lb/ft of torque @ 3900 rpm.

Does my car have a problem which is why the power is down? It has been away having some bodywork repairs or is it that the AMD results at stage 2 are totally unrealistic?

I am very confused. Could AMD massage their results to suit that much? The car felt so much better after stage 2 that I cannot believe there was not a good power increase.

I have no problem with the quality of the maps but the results don't add up. :confused:

if you see the graphs in post #48 on JKMs dyno you can see how easy it is to gain 20Hp by not strapping it as well as it should be.  that would be the easiest way to get extra horsepower.  Changing your settings like ambient temp/pressure etc is obvious as these are all shown on the dyno printouts so they would be unlikely to do so.

id be very happy with your map tbh.  it made good stage 2 figures with no intake and was comparable to all the other k03 stage 2 guys running intakes.  stick an intake on yours and id be sure you'd push the 260Hp amark and surpass them with no issues.  id say your torque curve held for longer as well. 

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2010, 05:20:17 pm »
guys if you can post your graphs in the dyno thread here so we have a one stop shop for people looking around :happy2: :happy2:,  its always noce to be able to compare directly :party:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16977.0.html

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2010, 05:33:11 pm »
Robert74...

I think if you add a HPFP to your car, then you might see a true ~270bhp.

Most people would say S1 to S2 on a K03 doesn't really give u that much. S2+ however is different but not sure how flexible the AMD S2 map is to utilising the HPFP.

I know they said to me if going S2 or S2+ Revo is the better option (that was in relation to my car tho)

on a seperate note...i just love Post RR session debriefs. Happens every time!  :signLOL:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2010, 05:45:03 pm »
Robert74...

Most people would say S1 to S2 on a K03 doesn't really give u that much. S2+ however is different but not sure how flexible the AMD S2 map is to utilising the HPFP.

id agree with that, going from stage 2 up to stage 2+ felt like a much bigger improvement in comparison to from stage 1 to stage 2. 

@ robert Have you ever logged your car to see what the specified rail pressure is.  If its like revo and requesting near the full capacity(125-130 bar) then you will see a definite improvement without adjusting the map.  if its conservative it would be a waste of time without a stage 2+ map as the standard pump wouldnt be struggling at all

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2010, 05:55:15 pm »

I was waving my willy this morning, but the wife told me to put it away and go and get the kettle on.  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

It obviously happens quite often. She's seen it all before...  Many times! and says: "Yes, dear, very interesting".

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2010, 06:02:31 pm »

I was waving my willy this morning, but the wife told me to put it away and go and get the kettle on.  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

It obviously happens quite often. She's seen it all before...  Many times! and says: "Yes, dear, very interesting".

no, what she really says is " thats strange, it looks like a penis only smaller"  or  " the postman has one just like that, although its alot bigger"

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »

no, what she really says is " thats strange, it looks like a penis only smaller"  or  " the postman has one just like that, although its alot bigger"

Now i'm worried, as we have a post lady  :laugh:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Saint Steve

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2010, 07:19:06 pm »
For those that didn't go to school http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granularity  :P

Granularity is the relative size, scale, level of detail, or depth of penetration that characterizes an object or activity. It may help to think of it as: which type of "granule" are we looking at? This term is used in astronomy, photography, physics, linguistics, and fairly often in information technology. It can refer to the level of a hierarchy of objects or actions, to the fineness of detail in a photograph, or to the amount of information that is supplied in describing a person's age. Its meaning is not always immediately clear to those unfamiliar with the context in which it's being used.

Wonder how you would know of a word like that :laugh:

:notworthy:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:21:36 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2010, 08:07:21 pm »
PMSL!!!   :signLOL:

Offline Robert74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2010, 09:13:08 pm »
Robert74...

id agree with that, going from stage 2 up to stage 2+ felt like a much bigger improvement in comparison to from stage 1 to stage 2. 

@ robert Have you ever logged your car to see what the specified rail pressure is.  If its like revo and requesting near the full capacity(125-130 bar) then you will see a definite improvement without adjusting the map.  if its conservative it would be a waste of time without a stage 2+ map as the standard pump wouldnt be struggling at all

No I have never had the car logged. I have got a Tru Seal air intake but have not fitted it and I have a HPFP on order from a group buy on VAGOC which I will be fitting at some point soon. I am still a bit alarmed though that I quoted 272 on one RR and then 252 on another, its a huge difference.

Thanks for your feedback guys.
2006 GTI 5 door DSG

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2010, 02:15:41 pm »

I think a trip to motorscopes rolling road  pays dividends, at least you can walk away with a smile on your face  :laugh:

....If your point is that going on JKM's DD rollers doesn't pay dividends and you don't walk away smiling, you ought to think again. As has been said countless times and is appreciated by most drivers, it's all about driveability and the plotted curves - Not all about willy waving the highest bhp numbers. It's all relative and a rolling-road session is an opportunity to health-check your car. Several folks were very glad that JKM were able to identify and solve minor problems on their cars and will have driven away smiling.

On the August Seatcupra RR day, my car made 489hp. The RR day previous at AMD in feburary I think it was, my car made 410hp. All i'd done is added a bit of octane booster before the run in August, now thts inconsistency if you ask me!
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2010, 12:05:39 am »
230bhp, no torque, and misfires. Plot is still in the car so need to scan it in. TBH I knew something wasn't quite right, this is what I made at SRR as well. Previously at SRR she'd made 249bhp. Not sure what the issue is tbh, needs a bit more looking at.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2010, 12:06:54 am »
230bhp, no torque, and misfires. Plot is still in the car so need to scan it in. TBH I knew something wasn't quite right, this is what I made at SRR as well. Previously at SRR she'd made 249bhp. Not sure what the issue is tbh, needs a bit more looking at.
Should have had a chat with me!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~