Make a donation

Author Topic: Siezed caliper?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
Siezed caliper?
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:09:21 pm »
I get brake judder but it goes away if I push hard. I get squeaking brakes when applied gently and coming to a stop. The judder is felt through the steering wheel. The front offside wheel gets black from brake dust alot sooner than the other side. Discs and pads are less than 6000 miles old.

Thanks

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Siezed caliper?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:38:56 pm »
Start off by cleaning the calipers with brake cleaner, remove caliper, de-rust and remove all brake dust from caliper and pads, clean the sliding pins (the ones you remove with the allen key) and sliding sockets (where the pins fit into).  Then apply some high temperature silicone grease (NOT normal wheel bearing or CV joint grease) inside the sliding sockets.  Apply some quality high temperature anti-seize paste to the face of the piston, the 'hammer head' ends of the pads, and inside the U shaped section of the caliper opposite the piston.  Reassemble, and give it a try.

Oh, who fitted the disc/pads 6k ago?

HTH
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »
Guy at my dad's work, he fixes the RAF vehicles.

Had brakes stripped and reassembled at a proper garage about 4 months ago due to the brake squeal.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 03:16:19 pm »
I had a caliper sieze on an old Corsa SRI (it was a very long time ago ok!) the week before I part ex'd it. The wheel got VERY hot and smoke was pouring from the caliper. I waited until it cooled down, doused the whole thing in 3in1 oil then gave it a good bashing with a hammer. It worked fine for the next couple of days then went to the garage.  :grin:

I WOULD NOT recommend this approach if you're keeping a car though  :scared:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:29:43 pm »
Guy at my dad's work, he fixes the RAF vehicles.

Had brakes stripped and reassembled at a proper garage about 4 months ago due to the brake squeal.
Then they havn't done a proper job.  Sounds like the quality of workmanship you get at Thik-Fit.

Seriously, if you do brakes properly, and use a high quality anti-seize paste (which generally doesn't include 90% of the 'copper greases' available, and particularly the putty-like 'CopperCrest' tubes the MoD supply) - then brakes should last two years (normal road use, not spanking round a race track) without any attention or troubles.

Again, I've yet to find a VW stealer who uses decent anti-seize on brakes. :sick:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~