Make a donation

Poll

If it was you and your money what would you do......would you pay the extra ££ for the LED or be happy with the LCD?

46" Samsung LCD 100htz Full HD £760.59
2 (6.3%)
46" Samsung LED 100htz Full HD £999.99
18 (56.3%)
Plasma
12 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: BIG ONE - What would you do??  (Read 8219 times)

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
Re: BIG ONE - What would you do??
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:46:12 pm »
All the votes are going towards.............plasma (Do appreicate all the help) Yes, I've got 20/20 vision thank you  :smiley:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42G20B-42-Plasma-Television-/270639144526?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item3f03599e4e

Lovely, now your  talking. I want to go home now and cuddle mine....TV that is :grin:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 03:02:00 pm »
Just Buy a WHAT HIFI magazine and look through if your having problems deciding, worth spending a £5 instead of making an expensive mistake.

All TVs are usually reviewed at the back.
Hmmmm . . . what hifi mag generally awards 'best buys' etc to the company which has the biggest advertising budget.  Just like the Jaguar XF heap of turd - believe all their hype from all their so-called awards, and you'd think it was better than a Veyron, R8 V10, Zonda etc all combined.  If the Jag can't even fit the two trapezoidal exhausts straight - what hope is there . . . . ?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 03:03:18 pm »
Just Buy a WHAT HIFI magazine and look through if your having problems deciding, worth spending a £5 instead of making an expensive mistake.

Hmmmm . . . what hifi mag generally awards 'best buys' etc to the company which has the biggest advertising budget.  Just like the Jaguar XF heap of turd - believe all their hype from all their so-called awards, and you'd think it was better than a Veyron, R8 V10, Zonda etc all combined.  If the Jag can't even fit the two trapezoidal exhausts straight - what hope is there . . . . ?

Do you think? thought they were fairly imparcial? Cant remember them reviewing a Jag either!! :jumping:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 03:09:47 pm »

Do you think? thought they were fairly imparcial? Cant remember them reviewing a Jag either!! :jumping:
Alrite - just like their sister publication - What Car. :P

But seriously, virtually all print mags, and all commercial TV is subject to bias when making 'recommendations'.  Did anyone follow last years 'Ramseys Best Restaurant'?  Total biased fix!

If you must go on reviews from mags, try to get them from competeing mags from different publishers - and try to avoid 'Haymarket Publications' - owned by that to$$er Michael Hesseltine! :sick:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 04:06:08 pm »
Easy, look at the phillips LCD range, they offer various sizes but heres a link to the 42":

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2009/08/05/Philips-42PFL9664-42in-LCD-TV/p1

Nothing comes close in the sub £1500 range. The 47" can be had for around £1100 at the moment.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 04:07:45 pm »
Also check out avforums online: http://www.avforums.com/

For genuine reviews and advice.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 04:20:58 pm »
Check the Gadget Show website as they test (impartially) pretty much most stuff that's out there!  :happy2:

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 04:36:11 pm »
Easy, look at the phillips LCD range, they offer various sizes but heres a link to the 42":

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2009/08/05/Philips-42PFL9664-42in-LCD-TV/p1

Nothing comes close in the sub £1500 range. The 47" can be had for around £1100 at the moment.

My parents bought a Philips LCD, it didnt get close to my Plasma for picture quality.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:13 pm »
Check the Gadget Show website as they test (impartially) pretty much most stuff that's out there!  :happy2:

http://fwd.five.tv/gadgets/audio-video/televisions/lcd-and-plasma/panasonic-tx-p42g15b

Actually it would be a G20 now but I bought a G15 last year  :wink:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 05:09:10 pm »
No they don't!  How can they?  A true impartial test is to submit ALL of their products to ALL of their tests.  They'll often exclude two or three products after just one test - usually sommat stoooopid like the wrong colour!
------

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 06:29:29 pm »
If you are going 42" or more you shouldn't get an LCD.

PLASMA are far superior

and Panasonic Plasma are prob the best you can buy for the money  :star:

Pioneers are Amazing plasma's but cost ££££'s

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 06:47:13 pm »
All the votes are going towards.............plasma (Do appreicate all the help) Yes, I've got 20/20 vision thank you  :smiley:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42G20B-42-Plasma-Television-/270639144526?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item3f03599e4e

Bought this exact model from Binns (House of Fraser) yesterday for £750 (including a 5 year parts and labour warranty and a free Panasonc Blu-ray) and I'm well chuffed. :happy2: :pomppomp:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 07:10:27 pm »
If you are going 42" or more you shouldn't get an LCD.

PLASMA are far superior

and Panasonic Plasma are prob the best you can buy for the money  :star:

Pioneers are Amazing plasma's but cost ££££'s

I'd second that completely.....

We have 3 Panasonic 42" Viera's that are great, picture quality is great on them. We also have a 50" Samsung which is ok, decent enough picture but the sound quality isn't great (all our TV's are amped through to a sound system though so doesn't matter). Our best TV by far is a 50" Pioneer Kuro, amazing picture quality but as mentioned they come with a hefty price tag. Also, i'm pretty sure Pioneer have stopped making TV's now?!

All our TV's are full HD and are all plasma apart from one which is a Panasonic 32" LCD and to be honest, it's not a patch on the plasma ones. When we were buying them, we got told for for watching fast moving programmes (sport e.t.c) then plasma is the way to go. For slower paced TV (documentaries e.t.c) then an LCD is better although anything over 42" should be a Plasma regardless. This was two years ago when we got all our TV's mind.

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 08:12:34 pm »
No they don't!  How can they?  A true impartial test is to submit ALL of their products to ALL of their tests.  They'll often exclude two or three products after just one test - usually sommat stoooopid like the wrong colour!

:indifferent:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 08:14:41 pm »
CPC Farnell (Google)