Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter tyres?  (Read 4748 times)

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
Winter tyres?
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:42:07 pm »
Bearing in mind out countries typical mild climate, are winter tyres really necessary. Ok you'll get the odd white out once in a while and things are bound to come unstuck evry now and again but is this not just overkill. I can understand on the continent which suffer from far harsher winters and have actual rules and regulations for the use of winter tyres and for insurance purposes so what do you think ?

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
Re: Winter tyres?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »
If the winter was like it was last year I think they would be a wise choice, I'm on the look out for a part worn set at the moment to put on my spare monzas.

I'm sure a few people will disagree with me here but to save some cash I'll only be buying 2 tyres for the front as this is where the power, steering and braking come from in the gti so this should help control 10 fold over summer tyres
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:06:58 am »
If the winter was like it was last year I think they would be a wise choice, I'm on the look out for a part worn set at the moment to put on my spare monzas.

I'm sure a few people will disagree with me here but to save some cash I'll only be buying 2 tyres for the front as this is where the power, steering and braking come from in the gti so this should help control 10 fold over summer tyres

Thats fine as long as you take your time round bends when its icy and snowy.

Winter tyres and snow tyres are 2 different things. It doesnt need to snow or be icy for you to drastically benefit from having winter tyres.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:02:59 am »

With regards to the OP I think it depends on where in our hallowed Isle you live, here in the NE of Scotland its maybe more of a necessity than for those in the South of England.  After last years winter I will be investing very soon - we've already had our first flurry of snow. 

I was also thinking of just getting fronts (on the basis that my fronts need replacing anyway and I don't have a spare set of wheels) but I saw a youtube video of a car with such a set up and the back was forever spinning round to meet the front ... so I think I'll bite the bullet and get all four.

I'd post the link but I'm at work and I can't ...

Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:30:01 am »
I'm alright in that respect my work journey is just 15 mins of 30 mph roads so I'll be fine with the fronts, if there was a lot of 60s ect ect in my journey I'd be getting the four
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:02:22 am »

I think it does depend on which part of the UK you live in also.

Considering the peeps in the know are saying we're coming into another harsh winter, I think I'll be investing.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 11:10:48 am »
 I have invested this year as last year my car was stuck at home for a week as i couldn't get up the hill a the end of the road

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 11:36:16 am »
They look expensive!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 01:26:17 pm »
They look expensive!

I thought they were reasonable, they cost me £130 each

h4rdy

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 01:32:16 pm »
Big review on this last year in EVO.

I'll try and dig it out and scan it for anybody who wants a read.

J.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 01:56:59 pm »
They look expensive!

I thought they were reasonable, they cost me £130 each

Crikey, that is good. Only reason I said is that I've been looking at them for my 17" Monzas and they were £140 each. I presumed 19s would be big money.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 02:02:56 pm »
I have invested this year as last year my car was stuck at home for a week as i couldn't get up the hill a the end of the road

where did you get them from? as I have been looking for some winter tyres for the cayman and been struggling to find any in 19"

i see yours are 235/35/19 which will fit my fronts but i need 265/35/19 for the rears

had some sideways action on a damp road the other week  :driver:  so not looking forward to the icy conditions  :scared:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 02:10:32 pm »
Mytyres  :happy2: , i just looked and they have now gone upto £146 though, i got them at right time by the looks of it, oh and got £16 quidco too  :happy2:

where did you get them from? as I have been looking for some winter tyres for the cayman and been struggling to find any in 19"

i see yours are 235/35/19 which will fit my fronts but i need 265/35/19 for the rears

had some sideways action on a damp road the other week  :driver:  so not looking forward to the icy conditions  :scared:

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »

And this explains all

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 03:22:01 pm »
They say the birds are migrating early this year and that this indicates a very hard Winter possibly even worse than the last.

I'm lucky, I don't work nor need to drive anywhere, so my car will be left in the garage - Any snow and I simply won't take her out. I hated last Winter's snows.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!