Make a donation

Author Topic: ATTEMPTED BREAK IN LAST NIGHT UPVC OWNERS BEWARE!  (Read 6560 times)

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
ATTEMPTED BREAK IN LAST NIGHT UPVC OWNERS BEWARE!
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:31:19 am »
Lat night while we were all at home in bed some young scum tried to break in to our house. My wife must have disturbed them and they must have dissapeared. 2 hours later they came back and tried again obviously thinking we we asleep by then (this was nearly 4 am at this point).
This time my wife saw them trying to get in the back door and they legged it. Obviously a little worrying so I phoned the police. 5 mins later I looked out of the front window and they were there again! This time 3 of them piled into a green fiat marea and sped off.

The cops reckon they were after the keys to my Beemer and were obviously trying to sneak into get them.

The point in my post is that we have just had all new uPVC windows and doors fitted last week and have now learned there is an inherent design flaw in the lock of all these 'euro profile' locks. You can clearly see what they were trying to do to the lock on the back door so first thing today I will be beefing up the locks considerably on all our doors plus every additional security method I can buy.

See here for details:
http://searchwarp.com/swa49197.htm

Basically, if you heaven't already, then replace any standard locks with snap off type before it's too late:
http://www.afs-securitysystems.com/Break-Secure.php

CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:33:25 am by Garth »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: ATTEMPTED BREAK IN LAST NIGHT UPVC OWNERS BEWARE!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:49:42 am »
Not good chap, must be quite worrying, the first thing I did when we got UPVC was change all the locks and handles to far more secure ones, that are anti bump and snap etc etc,  just read up on bumping locks if you want to be scared even further ! :sick:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:19:45 am »
Not good chap, must be quite worrying, the first thing I did when we got UPVC was change all the locks and handles to far more secure ones, that are anti bump and snap etc etc,  just read up on bumping locks if you want to be scared even further ! :sick:
Yeah, I researched bump locking myself a couple of years ago. Even practised it myself on my back door so I could show my friends and family they needed to upgrade their security. I'm actually a bit of a bump-lock master, which is worrying since I only spent a few hours practicing and actual criminals spend their lives doing it  :sad1:

Thing is our house has 2 very bright security floodlights and an IP security camera pointing straight down the dirve Anyone coming in to the property will be on cam, but the scrotes just wear their hoods up so you can't see their faces  :fighting:

On the plus side, I did ask the police about 'reasonable force' if someone did get in. I said the first thing I would go for is the biggest kitchen knife. If I put one of them down, I want to make sure he aint getting back up to have another go. Bottom line is if you keep the knife in your bedroom, it's premeditated and therefore you're going down. If it's in the kitchen and you grab it in a panic, it's fine. As long as you can justify your actions, you should be ok.
Rigging up a shotgun to a door like that farmer did a few years to shoot that gypo is not acceptable  :sad1:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:46:23 am »
man feel for you its horrible  :scared:
on an additional I'll reiterate again that UPVC is an absolute security nightmare, as most inner panels can be pushed through from the outside.
so improving the locks is one thing but in reality they can just push the door in if they wanted.
I would suggest having the front door replaced with a single unit security door (no removable panels), ok rest are still are a risk but you can mitigate this with cctv/lights and area alarm sensors.

Maybe nothing but I'd also consider that the UPVC company may have a dodgy employee (coincidence maybe?) with it being so close to new ones being fitted.

stay safe
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:47:22 am »
Next door neighbour got turned over last week..Took everything,bikes,ps3,laptops..etc etc.. Way in.Through the new UPVC Door.. B4stards

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:16:59 am »
sh*t, scary stuff this, hope you get everything secured ok, whilst you're at it, why not invest in a Crossbow  :evilgrin:
Thieving scumbags deserve anything and everything you can throw at them!
Ant

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:43:28 am »

Can you PM me a link to this bump method please as I have all UPVC windows and doors, house is around 12 years old so I guess this will effect me?

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:46:20 am »
man feel for you its horrible  :scared:
on an additional I'll reiterate again that UPVC is an absolute security nightmare, as most inner panels can be pushed through from the outside.
so improving the locks is one thing but in reality they can just push the door in if they wanted.
I would suggest having the front door replaced with a single unit security door (no removable panels), ok rest are still are a risk but you can mitigate this with cctv/lights and area alarm sensors.

Maybe nothing but I'd also consider that the UPVC company may have a dodgy employee (coincidence maybe?) with it being so close to new ones being fitted.

stay safe
The front door is a high security one panel job. The rears are completely toughened glass, no other panels. I have 3 security floodlights (will be 5 this afternoon!) and a video camera (will be 2 this afternoon!).

Deffo not the uPVC company, I can vouch for them.
I've suspected for a long time that the scrotes watch our house. They did over our mk4 Golf 3 times in 6 months. Each time the car was down the drive so they'd have to walk down the drive to even see if there was a stereo. The last time we had no stereo for 2 months then the weekend we got a new one, it got taken. That's no coincidence.

Just bought myself a very sturdy heavy duty galvanised steel parking post for the driveway. Maybe that might slow them down if they're after the car.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 09:47:26 am »

Can you PM me a link to this bump method please as I have all UPVC windows and doors, house is around 12 years old so I guess this will effect me?

type 'bump lock' into youtube and you can spend all day watching how they do it

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 09:49:06 am »
sh*t, scary stuff this, hope you get everything secured ok, whilst you're at it, why not invest in a Crossbow  :evilgrin:

Invest in a stun gun, put a bag over their head and place in back of van.

Drive to some nice quiet place and **it them right up, smell of a petrol can under their nose should do the trick.

**stards, most people work for a living but these scum arent even good enough for pig fodder. :party:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:51:01 am »

Drive to some nice quiet place and **it them right up, smell of a petrol can under their nose should do the trick.

**stards, most people work for a living but these scum arent even good enough for pig fodder. :party:

Completely agree  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 10:04:52 am »
sh*t, scary stuff this, hope you get everything secured ok, whilst you're at it, why not invest in a Crossbow  :evilgrin:

Completely agree  :happy2:

I'm happy to come help dig the hole... :signLOL:

Jesus this gets the old greys cells ticking over.we've just had new uPVC doors and one of them has the snap lock installed, the keys ain't cheap at £40 each... :laugh:

Cheers,

Wayne

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 10:08:19 am »
Basically, if you heaven't already, then replace any standard locks with snap off type before it's too late:
http://www.afs-securitysystems.com/Break-Secure.php

These are what we have in our new doors. The front isn't PVCu though, it is a composite door.

We're planning on having a bespoke timber door made for our new house, but I guess those snap off locks only work with multi-locking PVCu/composite doors?

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 10:44:21 am »
I can really recommend these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISA-ASTRAL-S-EURO-CYLINDER-LOCK-UPVC-DOOR-C-W-5-KEYS-/200448208368?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&var=&hash=item746a81d8bd

and because the key sit at a different position the crooks an tell its something special, they can also see the strengthened metal passing through the lock

I also recommend these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-PAS-024-Affinity-HOPPE-Security-Door-Handle-TypeA-/390202553681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5ad9e27551 , which prevent attack on the lock itself and its all strengthened too  :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:47:42 am by 182_blue »

Offline Felix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 11:46:52 am »
This may be a very silly question  :confused: , but if the door is deadlocked with pins in the frame when locked, and they do the locks in this way, can they get in?
300hp Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30