Make a donation

Author Topic: High Milers  (Read 6969 times)

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
High Milers
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:34:31 pm »
Afternoon all

How well does the MK5 GTi cope with high miles?

One i am looking at has done 105,000 with a FVWSH - exact spec im after and under budget. But very wary of buying a high miler like this even though the garage selling it provide a 2 year unlimited warranty (usually not worth paper written on).

Thanks
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: High Milers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:43:43 pm »
loads of people running high miles.

As long as its been service correctly.

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51:12 pm »
My car is at 98k miles now and (touch wood) is motoring along fine -- it's actually due to go in for its sixth long-life service next week.  So far I've had no major problems other than the air-con compressor dying (a common MK5 Golf fault) and some uneven wear on the rear tyres.

That said, whilst it has weathered the miles well I can definitely feel it's "not as tight" as it was when I bought it four years ago.  I'll probably end up keeping it for another two or three years though and I'm hoping it'll keep on serving me as well as it has done to date.

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:53:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies  :smiley:

Especially interested in those who run high milers and what kind of niggles to look out for around the 100k mark  :happy2:
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »
Mines done 81k now and things have been falling off it at an increasing rate since 55k  :sad1:

I've got a full VW service history and always look after my cars but this one doesn't seem too strong...

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 03:13:30 pm »
Mines done 81k now and things have been falling off it at an increasing rate since 55k  :sad1:

I've got a full VW service history and always look after my cars but this one doesn't seem too strong...

Hey Garth, what exactly have you had isues with?
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »
My 05-plate 06-build GTI DSG is coming up to 90k miles and has felt even better since about 30k miles. Regularly serviced.

CmdrFire's has done over 100k and is going strong too.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 04:32:51 pm »
105k miles here as Robin says.
Three main bits of after-warranty work: DSG selector switch replaced (expensive), fuel pressure sensor replaced (not too expensive), and corrosion on the radiator which required rad replacement the other week (expensive). But I'm not too fussed about the rad replacement as it's the original rad from my accident a few years ago.

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:17:27 am »
115K miles and all still good. No rust, a few stone chips from the motorway commute and thats about it. Interiors still good especially the drivers seat and bolsters althoughthe steering wheels a bit shiny now in places. Stops and starts as well as it did when I bought it. :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:21 am »

115K miles and all still good. No rust, a few stone chips from the motorway commute and thats about it. Interiors still good especially the drivers seat and bolsters althoughthe steering wheels a bit shiny now in places. Stops and starts as well as it did when I bought it. :happy2:

^^^^  It must be a Volkswagen!  :notworthy:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Nasir

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:56:05 am »

Leather cleaner will get rid of that shine

Offline seiko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 07:23:43 pm »
mine has done 93k full service history, 2005 model paid £6500 done full R.A.C hpi check no isues only had it 4 weeks, had to change the water flange and seal so far, it pulls wel, and drives wel, realy pleased with the car, wish i had bought a mk5 years ago

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »
leather cleaner   Cheers Nasir :happy2:

Offline Jonboy72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 08:30:57 pm »

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »
108,000 miles and going very strong, upgraded the engine at 90k - ITG, HPFP, stage 2+ and TBE and it delivered 275 BHP and 315lbft on the rollers which says it all aboutthe fettle the engine is in, lots of motorway miles though, about 25k pa. This is key if it is 100k longer journeys on motorways, no issue, if 100k around town different kettle of fish.

Issues - air con pump failed, at about 60k, (common fault as already said) battery failed at 4.5 years, and had a wiring fault in the door (was fixed under warranty) otherwise has just been normal maintenance, has been serviced every 10k miles and always use long life oil, if well serviced pretty bullet proof very very well made car - If only everything in (this is my third mk V in the family and v v happy with choice and will be replaced by another VW when the time comes   :happy2: