Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear parking sensors - retrofitting any recommended dealers?  (Read 18616 times)

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Rear parking sensors - retrofitting any recommended dealers?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 07:18:12 pm »
I was referring to using an OEM bumper prepared for sensors and mating that with a Kufatec loom which I think should come with instructions.

I have used quite a few sets of Skoda OEM retrofit sensor kits and they always came with instructions.

Retro-kits will likely just tap into the reverse lamp wiring as the actuation signal.  An OEM setup would be adding a new controller so it would go on the CAN.

Most retro-kits will not provide the OPS display feature, which is what I am after.

I was under the impression that the kufatec kit included the controller and loom to link into CAN? Linking into CAN is only method to have the OPS display?

The dilemma of fitting the front and rear has been bugging me for about the last 6 months, but last time I checked VWNavi, nobody had written a guide.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »
The Retro kits are often just third party kits that VW endorse so you won't get OPS as you say.

I did an OPS conversion on a Passat R36.  Had to change the controller for a later Skoda 1Z unit and add some CAN wiring.

You are right though I think you need front and rear, I really cocked up not ordering front on mine  :fighting2:

IIRC Kufatec can sell you the loom to and if necessary supply the sensors and controller.

I really want to do a reversing cam.  The cam is listed on ETKA but not the controller, I have read of people using the R8 controller but it's not an ideal solution.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 07:27:18 pm »
Stu,

Where is the reversing camera located on an a3? sorry s3!
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 07:30:00 pm »
In the rear handle just slightly above the number plate - Same as the A4/Q7 etc.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:31 pm »
Local VW quoted me £199+vat (why do they do that? Im not a business I have to pay VAT lol) they might as well just tell me the price all inc vat!

Anyway, it was their bodyshop who would do it, the guy was very helpful, said they would spray it to a perfect match, but, as Lee said above, he said they don't sit flush like the original fit would, although about 3mm from the bumper, so not too noticeable, that said, those Laserline ones look a lot nicer than any others i've seen...

Ironically, I walked past a Laserline factory today, it appears I work right near one so will ask them tommorow if they can sort a discount or something!