Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI vs Focus ST  (Read 18362 times)

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: MK5 GTI vs Focus ST
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »
Interesting argument this one. Plenty of people rate the GTI over the ST but having driven my mates ST Mountune I failed to see much difference in anything other than the cabin quality however I can see the MPG being an issue.
 I've recently floated about on a ST forum and from looking on there the parts that have come up second hand are definitely cheaper than the equivalent GTI part and as for a GTI sounding better I'm not so sure.

There isnt much difference between them, and IMO i have to question those that say the ST is terrible in comparison to the GTI  :rolleye:

But along with interior quality and better fuel economy the GTI is generally better IMO. Standard vs Standard the ST wins on performance and noise though but thats easily rectified with mods if need be.

Aland with regards to Tuning potential i mentioned - a simple level 1 bluefin remap and the ST is on full boost and around 270bhp @ around 1370kg which is 197bhp/ton. The GTI at 1330kg would need around 263bhp to match it which would require quite a few mods. That was the kind of point i was making, not major issue but just trying to explain the point.
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »
had an ST and vRS.  and there is no way a GTI would make it look silly.  thats just plain badge snobbery.  its a very good car, but with heavy fuel economy.  getting above 25mpg was an achievment for me. i was more often than not below thast.  whereas driving the vRS even at stage2+ i was in the mid 25s with no issues, with 30mpg+ at  times.

i lved the ST tbh.  the vRS was the better all rounder though.

Standard the St isnt actually that much faster than the vRS.  maybe a little more punchy in the higher gears from low speed but thats about it.

The new ST is touted as having 250bhp, but I bet that will be just an ECU tweak.

iirc the new one has changed to a 2.0 litre engine so it is definitely more than an ECU tweak

Offline Drapoon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 06:12:43 pm »
I'd have an ST if it had the same image & look of my Golf. I wouldnt say the quality was less on a focus just a bit cheaper "looking".

I had the original ST170 for 5 years before getting the golf which I've owned for 2 years. Hand on heart I think my old st would rinse my golf on sharp corners - it just felt a lot better balanced & grip was far better.

Obv straight line a whole different ball game!

Just my opinion - don't shoot :smiley:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 06:34:05 pm »
Interesting argument this one. Plenty of people rate the GTI over the ST but having driven my mates ST Mountune I failed to see much difference in anything other than the cabin quality however I can see the MPG being an issue.
 I've recently floated about on a ST forum and from looking on there the parts that have come up second hand are definitely cheaper than the equivalent GTI part and as for a GTI sounding better I'm not so sure.

Aland with regards to Tuning potential i mentioned - a simple level 1 bluefin remap and the ST is on full boost and around 270bhp @ around 1370kg which is 197bhp/ton. The GTI at 1330kg would need around 263bhp to match it which would require quite a few mods. That was the kind of point i was making, not major issue but just trying to explain the point.

That's if they make 270bhp though, as from what I have seen, they make no where near that with SC software (244bhp from a 10 plate SC BF car at Motoscope RR day). Would it not be more fair to compare the ED30 seeing as they are a lot similar in power outputs? Oh and then there's the modding comparison again...  :wink:

Totally agree that the ST is far from a bad car though. There wouldn't be that many on the road if they were that bad. God all rounder and does everything well (apart from be economical  :surprised:)..

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 06:43:34 pm »
FORD  fixed or repaired daily   :signLOL:  i think there ok but gti looks so much better even in the looks department
Sig to big.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »

The new ST is touted as having 250bhp, but I bet that will be just an ECU tweak.

iirc the new one has changed to a 2.0 litre engine so it is definitely more than an ECU tweak

In that case there will be a much more even playing field on sound and mpg. Could be a good move for the ST. However the Cupra R would be the better choice from the ones you can still buy at similar price points. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »
Is it possible that my gti is abnormally quick for standard i.e iv got mods on it but not remaped so it carn't have gave me much gain.

i went with my mate and his dad this last weekend to go get his dads focus St remaped supposed to give him an extra 55 bhp and on the way back we both set off onto the motorway and i was expecting to get wasted and his car was a snail pace faster i could hardly tell the difference  :confused:

i mean i was haveing a  :jumpmove: and he was like  :ashamed:

its a great car though and his re-map gave him launch control and activated his shift light.  :happy2: and it sounds brilliant
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 10:06:04 pm »
I dont like the driving position in Focus' seem very high. Give me a Golf anyday.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633