Make a donation

Author Topic: Camera Battery Question....  (Read 2882 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Camera Battery Question....
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:09:29 am »
I currently use a compact digital FinePix F200EXR - I'm very happy with it although such cameras do have limitations (I want a Leica X1 next).

I find that it eats battery power and takes 2 hrs (I've timed it) to recharge. Tends to drink more battery juice when using EXR-mode of course - It's a bit like NOS!

I know that stokeballoon and possibly stealthwolf have the same camera - Do you have the same 'problem'? It always runs out when I most need it and perhaps I should invest in a spare battery ready charged to swop.

It depends on which modes are used but I get approx 40 shots (need to check that number) per battery fill. I use the oem Fuji rechargeable battery.

Thx for any answers  :drinking:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:34:20 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Camera Battery Question....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:21:43 am »
I don't have the same camera but have had a couple of Fuji cameras. None of them have the issue you describe. I've gone on three day weekend holidays, with a fully charged camera and been able to take pics all weekend without having to recharge.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:16:16 am »
^^^^
I assume that your 3-day weekends (you dirty bugger) have involved taking lots and lots of pics.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »
Ever so slightly off topic but I managed 1400 shots on my Pentax K20 from a single charge and all on 1 16GB SDHC card.
The battery indicator hadn't budged from full either and the shots left kept on recalculating.  :scared:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:57:47 pm »
I do tend to use the all-singing-dancing automatic everything EXR mode a fair bit and also look at pics and enlarged parts while still in the camera - All of which drinks battery fuel.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:40 pm »
I agree Robin which is why on my cameras I have preview turned off.

If I want to look then all I have to do is press a button which has the added advantage of staying as long as I want rather than only 3 or 5 seconds.  :smiley:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:03:23 pm »
I assume that your 3-day weekends (you dirty bugger) have involved taking lots and lots of pics.
:evilgrin:

I don't go spending all three days on just taking pictures - it's not a photographic holiday or trip. But I do take lots of pics when and where appropriate. Example: I went to Sweden with some friends and took lots of pictures of the architecture and scenery, especially the various lakes. But also did a lot of chilling, eating, and going out.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »
I have the Fuji F72EXR which shares the same battery and it's seams to last forward, certainly get a good couple hundred shots in EXR mode without the battery symbol even dropping 1 bar.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:43 pm »
^^^^
Thanks, Steve - Useful info. I asked in the local camera shop today and was told that continually using Preview might also consume a lot of juice. Also, rechargeable batteries tend to reduce their ability to maintain power as they get older. I had primarily visited the shop to buy a spare rechargeable battery so I now always have back-up.

Recently I've been shooting as many as 80 pics a week and also viewing them a lot before uploading.

Once I see one bar empty, the other two bars follow much more quickly.

:happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 07:15:33 am »
Can't remember the last time i charged my camera battery.  Taken a lot of pics with it too, not everyday, but sporadically.

If fact, where is the charger.............. Bummer, big search under-way, bet the battery dies next time out!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 10:02:50 am »
^^^^
Hi Dave,

As we have the same camera there's obviously a big difference in our battery usage. I always have the Preview on and also data display, plus I frequently switch on my camera afterwards and study my shots before deciding to keep for next upload session or to delete - This often involves zooming my view. < All of which I would think drinks battery juice. Do you use your camera in a similar way?

My solution has been to buy a spare battery so that I never run out of power.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 09:10:55 pm »
^^^^

Once I see one bar empty, the other two bars follow much more quickly.

:happy2:

Are we talking about your camera battery or your drinking habits on weekends away here Robin :innocent:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy