Make a donation

Poll

If it was you and your money what would you do......would you pay the extra ££ for the LED or be happy with the LCD?

46" Samsung LCD 100htz Full HD £760.59
2 (6.3%)
46" Samsung LED 100htz Full HD £999.99
18 (56.3%)
Plasma
12 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: BIG ONE - What would you do??  (Read 8211 times)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: BIG ONE - What would you do??
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 08:38:38 pm »
Panasonic Pasma  :happy2:  All the way.  My LCD Samsung is pretty good but not a patch on the old mans Pan. Plasma.   :drinking:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 08:41:34 pm »
All the votes are going towards.............plasma (Do appreicate all the help) Yes, I've got 20/20 vision thank you  :smiley:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42G20B-42-Plasma-Television-/270639144526?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item3f03599e4e

Bought this exact model from Binns (House of Fraser) yesterday for £750 (including a 5 year parts and labour warranty and a free Panasonc Blu-ray) and I'm well chuffed. :happy2: :pomppomp:

£617 for the TV if your quick :drool: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/panasonic-tx-p42g20b-42-inch-hd-108/777640

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:27 pm »
interesting that 42" Panny Plasma is cheaper than the 42" LED/LCD i went for instead!

Bit of a bummer tho...mine is 100hz vs 600hz for the plasma!

but why would it be cheaper tho?  

The price of slimline tech??

Saint Steve

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 08:49:26 pm »
Samsung LED for me. No contest imo.

Saint Steve

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 08:52:01 pm »
CPC Farnell (Google)

Doing a 50" LG Plasma for 380 plus VAT

Proberly best avoid. They are generally cheap due to low pic spec.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 09:03:37 pm »
Panny Plasma for that size for me - had 2 and still think they are great.

HD is good and SD is also fine, parents in law have a Panny LCD 32" and although good, HD is great but SD is rubbish compared to mine.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 09:23:28 pm »
What's best is in the eye of the beholder unfortunately.  Once you get used to the brightness of an lcd or led, plasmas look dull and poor.  I've had 4 lcd's and was sure after trawling through av forums, a panasonic 46" plasma was going to be my next tv.  However, after buying one i just couldn't get used to the dullness of the picture.  When i went back to the shop, the guy said that people just have different views on what looks best.  Once you get used to one thing, that's what you like :laugh:

Ref LED's, there is actually very little between lcds and leds.  Energy saving and thinness is the main difference.  Samsung cheat a little bit.  All their leds have the ultra clear panel which is basically a shiny clear panel that makes the screen look really black in dark scenes and makes all other tv's look like they have a grey panel blocking/dulling the picture.  If you check out their high end lcds, they have the same ultra clear panel and if anything, the picture looks even better.  The very brightest colours look slighly more natural and crucially you get that ultra clear panel which gives the wow factor. 

Look at LG and sony leds, they look no different at all to their normal lcds, some of the lgs incredibly dull.

Ignore all the opinions here and go to your local currys (hopefully a refurbed one with all the nice displays in HD) and decide what looks best in your eyes.

Try to get 100hz, def get 1080p, after that decide what works for you 

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 10:14:17 pm »
I would agree with plasma suggestions, the picture is more lifelike, unless you like the overly processed look of the Samsung LEDs, that is.

Oh and don't go thinking that the 600Hz Pannys are 6 times better than a 100Hz screen coz they're not. The 600Hz they refer to is not describing the screen refresh rate and is merely clever marketing on their part. Their TVs are only 100Hz in reality.

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 05:34:47 pm »
Yep Pioneer stopped making plasma TV's as they were one of the few that actually made their own kit rather than buying in a screen from another party and adding their own software to them. They decided it was too expensive and pulled out of the market altogether. Think they passed on some tech to Panasonic but not all.
If you can find a late good Pioneer and can afford it then buy it. Quite simply the best tv's made. As always to get what you pay for and they're not especially slim.
Another important thing to remember when buying is how far away from the screen you'll be sitting and what the majority of content you'll be watching is then buying the accordingly sized screen.

Offline msx98

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 03:08:12 pm »
ive heard and am probably completely wrong that our eyes cant process much more than 200hz, (depends how big the screen too i imagine)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 09:08:31 am »
Check the Gadget Show website as they test (impartially) pretty much most stuff that's out there!  :happy2:
No they don't!  How can they?  A true impartial test is to submit ALL of their products to ALL of their tests.  They'll often exclude two or three products after just one test - usually sommat stoooopid like the wrong colour!

:indifferent:
Yawn all you like - but Gadget Show tests have never been impartial - tests like the ones Which do are far more impartial.

Anyway, the only reason you watch the Gadget Show is because a certain presenters' pins!  :P
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 09:11:45 am »
CPC Farnell (Google)

Doing a 50" LG Plasma for 380 plus VAT
Personally, I'd avoid LG.  Mine isn't very good at all - not particularly great definition, and suffers with a tad of colour bleed, especially in the greys.  But I suppose if your budget is tight, and you need a 50" - then it aint a bad deal.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~